Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ileanj__sanchez

How to make my boring living room come to life??

Hi there I would appreciate any help with my living room. It faces north and a few years ago I chose a warmish gray (bm Abalone) thinking it would be ok but it looks purple. I do plan on painting it a lighter and warmer off white (classic gray bm) because of that I haven’t put much effort into it unfortunately. I really want to make the wall above couch look nice but I don’t really know how. And I know I should probably switch out the console and coffee tables but I feel stuck. The opposite side where entry and ledges are is pretty dull as well. Any ideas?

Comments (9)

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

The undertone of abalone is brown. The reason you see purple is the cold bluish light coming into the North facing room.

You have some nice pieces and a warmer color will change everything. B.M. Montgomery White for the walls will make a huge difference. It isn’t an overwhelming yellow, just a nice creamy white. You sofa will look better, as will the rug and the white chairs will look whiter.

Add throw pillows and a great piece of art. Maybe layer a white fluffy white rug under the coffee table.

• Elaine Betancourt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ahh I’m trying to avoid colors like that because of the color I have across :( I think it wouldn’t look cohesive. You don’t think bm classic gray would be ok with it? Let me show you a picture of the other side so you can see the color I’m talking about. Let me know if you can ty :)

• Elaine Betancourt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

And yes I do need more accents like the art piece and extra throw pillows. I didn’t think about all that thank you!

• Elaine Betancourt
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Yes I remember I tried to reply but it kept saying houzz was going under some maintenance and I wasn’t getting other answers so I started a new one with a different question (I didn’t ignore what you said) also classic gray isn’t so gray though....it’s more of an off white i hear. I put a sample of a color with a yellow/Beige hue and it just didn’t look right either so I think I might have to go somewhere in between. And I have a few ceiling lights with a fanlight. The issue is in the day not at night. I don’t want to turn on those lights during the day at all. I want to work with natural light. Thank you though.

• PRO
    MARGARITA BRAVO
    3 years ago

Perhaps try removing the clock and finding a large piece of artwork that will make the rest of your decor pop. Here are a few living room ideas for you:

Downtown Townhouse · More Info

Living Rooms · More Info

Elaine Betancourt thanked MARGARITA BRAVO
  • Elaine Betancourt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you I was actually thinking about doing that. Do you think these would look good? saw them at Target the other day and thought they were nice. They’re 24x30 each though not sure if they’re kind of small for the space.

• Elaine Betancourt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    3 years ago

I’ll chime in:

You have a north-facing room. Your current gray color makes the room feel dull. You want a warmer feel.

Answer: don’t use gray.