0

paint ideas for small room with high ceiling

Cindy Lester
last modified: August 14, 2013
We just purchased a brand new home. The first room as you enter the home has high, high ceilings. It's small , yet big enough for our 6' grand piano . I have no idea what to do with paint. An accent wall maybe? Ideas would be much appreciated.
    Can you provide other views of the room?
    Cindy Lester thanked Dytecture
  • Cindy Lester
    It's difficult to photograph due to it's size. The wall I was unable to capture in photographs is actually an enclosed stairwell ( the pictures taken from above were shot from the top looking down). So basically a plain white wall that opens up at top where the stairs end).I wish I could do better .The house is about a 3 hour drive away . We are set to move in at the end of this month but I would like to do some painting first. As far as furnishing for this room it will just be the black glossy grand piano and bookcase for our music. Possibly a chair. ( the items currently in the room were staged by the realtor). THANK YOU!! Any help is much appreciated!
    Those walls look much higher than 9', and the room does not appear to be small. Therefore I am not understanding the title to your question.
    Cindy Lester thanked Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
  • Cindy Lester
    You know, you're right . They are taller than 9ft. The number stuck in my brain from another home we looked at. I corrected that in the original question. The room is 160" by 144" ( 13ft by 12 ft.).
    Gantt's Decorating
    I wonder if your time and money is best spent in this room painting. If it is small and is going to be home of a big black piano. The light dark contrast will make the room seem "full". Why not put the piano on the big bare wall and look for a couple pieces of really large art work to hang from the top of the piano tro the ceiling or close. It will be dramatic and help make sense of the the disproportionate space.
    Cindy Lester thanked Gantt's Decorating
  • Nicole Lee
    heres a great color for an accent wall. you can also hang some light fixtures from the ceiling as well
    Butternut Residence · More Info
    Cindy Lester thanked Nicole Lee
  • Cindy Lester
    Awesome suggestion! I thank you so much.
  • Cindy Lester
    I like that Nicole...in fact, I have a very similar color I am using in the family room. Thank you!
    LB Interiors
    Depends on colors in your furnishings and fabrics that will go in this room. You can mix or blend colors forever. Decide what colors you are drawn to. Then decide if they will be a mix of lights and darks. Must take into considederation the feeling that you want when you enter the room. Soft feeling or more bold. Tons of ways to go.

It would help if you can post some pics of your furniture, art and/or accessories that will be in this room besides the paino. So many ways to treat this room. Because of the high ceilings, you can use colors that are somewhat bold and dramatic wih midtone saturations of color. Need to see furnishings and upholstery and special items that you will be using in the room. If you are starting over with furniture and other items, almost anything could be suggested.
    Cindy Lester thanked LB Interiors
  • Cindy Lester
    I wasn't planning on much in the room besides the big black piano right now. I do have a nice bookcase we use for his trophies and our music filing system. My son is a serious piano student so we've always been more about function over style. Now that he's older and more responsible we can have a prettier room so it's all starting from scratch . I like the idea of maybe a nice chair and small end table but I doubt we 'd have room for much more. I was also thinking of a colorful rug under the piano?
    SPACIALISTS
    Painting the walls is Ok, but to make the best decision you have to examine the relationship of this space with the rest of the surrounding area and furnishing style.
    Here are a few wall color samples, just to spark some ideas.
    Cindy Lester thanked SPACIALISTS
    purehome
    Hi Cindy, as a designer here, at PH, I would like to help you! I think the room is great, and there is a lot of light. The key here, is that you need to keep your paint colors light- dark will make you feel like you are at the bottom of a well. Right now they are real basic white (it looks like?), so just neutralizing them with a warm color will do the trick. The colors that are really making an impact currently are muted greens, greys, and sands. Please see these paint sample I am attaching, as I understand we are all so visual! Because you have such tall ceilings, it is important to place wall decor that is to-scale with the shape of your room. Since you have a very large blank wall space, I would recommend complementing your wall with a large piece of artwork or something of that nature that will emphasize the architectural details of your home. Thanks, and good luck!!!

Pure Home ICS 3-4 Interior Color Sample · More Info
    Olive Tone Neutral

Pure Home ICS 9-3 Interior Color Sample · More Info

Pure Home ICS 18-2 Interior Color Sample · More Info
    Cindy Lester thanked purehome
    LB Interiors
    Maybe two chairs.. An end table and lamp between. Rug at the piano or a larger rug in the center of the room. Place the two chairs on the rug to ground the room. Place the bookcase in the middle of one of the walls opposite the piano to balance the room. For art, I would use some old sheet music and frame it in multiple frames to fiill some wall space. They would look great matted with black frames.
    Cindy Lester thanked LB Interiors
  • decoenthusiaste
    It doesn't take much - just let the piano take center stage and provide a bit of simple seating for the occasional audience. Here are some rooms where the piano is the star, plus a tip or two in an ideabook.
    J. Hirsch Interior Design Portfolio · More Info

Alexander Gorlin Architects · More Info

Southern Mississippi · More Info

FCB:Design (Markus Canter) Project: Savona Road, Bel Air, CA 90077 · More Info
    Cindy Lester thanked decoenthusiaste
    LB Interiors
    I would choose a calming color for your musician. Blues or greens could work. Nothing too energizing. May want to be able to focus and concentrate on music.
    Cindy Lester thanked LB Interiors
    LB Interiors
    'Decoenthusiaste' captured my thoughts with # 1 photo.
    Cindy Lester thanked LB Interiors
  • decoenthusiaste
    LB - that's my favorite too!
    Cindy Lester thanked decoenthusiaste
    LB Interiors
    'Deco' Yes, Ive seen that one before. Love it. Looks cozy!
    Cindy Lester thanked LB Interiors
  • Cindy Lester
    Friends! This is my first few hours on this site and I am happily overwhelmed by all the great advice. I don't think I can adequately convey how grateful I am for the thoughts and ideas. Lots to process.. I went from a complete blank to many, many fabulous ideas. You folks are terrific.
  • Cindy Lester
    I was really, really hoping for flooring but the more I think about the acoustics in our particular room, the more I think I'll be grateful for the carpeting. Kind of funny the things you know as a piano owner / enthusiast and the things people do with pianos because they look good. Striking a balance is the key. We chose the smaller room for the piano as to avoid the fireplace in our bigger family room. Dramatic heat or cold sources are no-nos ....but that fireplace sure looks neat!

I'd sure love that staircase in picture 3. Wow.
    LB Interiors
    Other colors that are soothing and calming are .. creamy beiges and soft grays.
  • Gina Remigio

High ceiling is perfect. Just paint it with white and pastel pink to make it more elegant yet simple.

Need help with a Houzz order? Call us at 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Sun)