notsimplesue

Hepatica aka Anemone americana (Round-lobe: anyone growing this plant?

Sue Hughes Zone 6b in Pittsburgh

Please share with me- your personal experience with growing this plant native to North Eastern USA.

• Jay 6a Chicago

I planted a few some years ago and they disappeared after a couple seasons. I'm thinking maybe the soil didn't have enough organic matter, which they prefer. I think I have only 1 plant now that's a year or 2 old. They are beautiful and definitely worth trying to grow.

Sue Hughes Zone 6b in Pittsburgh thanked Jay 6a Chicago
  • nekobus

I’ve had a similar experience to Jay. They’re one of few early native bloomers, but they seem to have gotten crowded out by their neighbors in my garden. I only had one or two bloom last year, out of about eight I planted over the previous couple seasons.

I’ve had better luck with Anemonella thalictroides (now Thalictrum I think), which is a little later but more vigorous for me. It’s about the same height, also available in shades of white or pink. Sanguinaria does better for me, too, in fuller sun than the Anemonellas seem to like, and that’s a showstopper for the 2 days it’s in bloom.

Sue Hughes Zone 6b in Pittsburgh thanked nekobus
  • Jay 6a Chicago

I have better luck with Anemonella too.

• Sue Hughes Zone 6b in Pittsburgh

Just looked up Anemonella and it is gorgeous. I have already ordered the Hepatica...so that's that...I will keep the advice shared here by you guys in mind when attempting to grow them...if they don't take I'm very intrigued by the Anemonella...two days huh...looks worth it!

I included the photo I found on Fine Gardening website.

Customized Interior Design Solutions in Loudoun County | Best of Houzz