Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amelia0008

Laundry room accent “wall” with busy floor.

amelia0008
3 years ago

The floor tiles have guided the yellow wall color which must now lead to selection of the accent closet door “wall” redo, (currently covered in fabric). I’m at a loss for ideas. I’ve looked at wallpapers, murals and nothing is catching me. Any ideas from fresh minds? I can rip the panels out and paint, cover with wallpaper, or ....

Comments (24)

• HU-187528210
    3 years ago

What’s behind the panels. Would you paint and add hardware?

• amelia0008
    Original Author
    3 years ago

it seems there is wood behind them. They are cartonboard/ particle board. its too recessed to rip them out and paint, I would replace with new ones and then paint or paper them. I’m stuck on what to do. Whatever it is, it needs to withstand the humidity.

• Karenmo
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Why not just paint the center panels and leave the wood framing, since it coordinates nicely with the floor? You could simply paint them while, like the wood trim.

If that turns out to be too boring, one option would be to add a border to the top doors, running horizontally just below the knobs. Make this border sympathetic to the floor tiles; you could stencil this using a pattern picking up the leaf elements in your tile, on a smaller scale of course. For variety and continuity, the stencil could be made to also incorporate elements from tiles in other nearby spaces. Stencils are very popular right now, so chances are good that you can find vendors who could create one for you as a custom design. Have fun!

amelia0008 thanked Karenmo
  • Suzanne Peacock
    3 years ago

https://www.veranda.com/home-decorators/g32214768/laundry-room-decor-ideas/

A few ideas for you to consider in the link above.

Your floor tile is staying and dictates colour and style direction of your room. I believe the pattern of the floor should be allowed to shine(read -no wallpaper)and be complemented by your colour choice. Consider choosing a solid colour from the floor tile and paint the cabinet doors. Is it possible to take off a few doors to open up the room a bit? Open shelving paired in the same blue or yellow would look smashing and break up the wall of cupboard doors.
    Do you have space to include a counter over the washer/dryer to allow for folding laundry?
    Please post your “after” pictures. Have fun.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    3 years ago

I would go for the drama of a dark blue ( pulled from the floor colors ) either in a new wallpaper, paint or fabric. Paint would probably be the easiest. You can always stencil an interesting pattern on them using the same color yellow as your walls.

Fun project!

• suedonim75
    3 years ago

^^ I second the dark blue suggestion.

• User
    3 years ago

But whatever you do, leave the gold wall as is.

And get a humidity loving plant

• User
    3 years ago

Other fun choices (sorry if you are shrieking in agony)

Grove Blue Tree Wallpaper Bolt · More Info

Waverly Wallpaper Mandarin Prose Oriental Asian Toile · More Info

Waverly Wallpaper Wa7769 Mandarin Prose Oriental Asian Toile, Sample · More Info

amelia0008 thanked User
  • Amanda Smith
    3 years ago

I would paint them a medium blue... the lightest color in the floor tile.

• Maureen
    3 years ago

I was wondering if you could remove the doors completely, as it will feel more open and maybe be more handy. Depends on how deep and what is stored there; just configure appropriately for shoes and coats or for laundry needs and could put your drying rack there instead

amelia0008 thanked Maureen
  • houssaon
    3 years ago

I would do a gray blue to pick up the tile color on the panels and white on the wall with the washer and dryer.

amelia0008 thanked houssaon
  • btydrvn
    3 years ago

I,too would remove the doors...the space will feel more open and the storage much more accessible...perhaps the back wall could be painted in two colors (from the floor) wide vertical stripes to accentuate the interesting floor

amelia0008 thanked btydrvn
  • msjoan
    3 years ago

I like @User's Grove Blue. On some doors to hide the contents, while opening some up, per @Maureen.

• ptreckel
    3 years ago

How about a grass cloth looking adhesive wallpaper in a golden tone? It need not be REAL grass cloth, but something with that textural surface. Adhesive backing to make sure it sticks in a humid environment.

amelia0008 thanked ptreckel
  • calidesign
    3 years ago

Just because the floors are black and gold doesn't mean you need gold walls. I would paint the walls a warm white, and also paint the panels the same white, keeping the gold edges. It will make the floor the star of the room rather than having a competing pattern on the panels.

• amelia0008
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. The color in the tiles is black and grey, not blue so I think blue would look out of place, and all black or too black would be too suffocating. Its a huge closet, so doors need to stay on. The yellow wall is newly painted so I'm hoping to find a complimentary color or colors to use on the panels (not the frame) of the opposing wall doors. I was hoping to find a great wallpaper and maybe limit it to the middle section and pull a color from it to paint the rest of the doors. Please keep the ideas coming! It helps me sort out the confusion in my head ;)

• RedRyder
    3 years ago

What about painting the doors a lighter version of the yellow? You don’t want to deny the unique tiles their place of honor, so keep the room simple. My former MIL had phenomenal Mexican tiles in a powder room and she kept the walls a soft yellow to allow the tiles to be the star of the room. Same thing here. Your yellow wall seems to work so far, so go up one or two colors on the strip and keep it simple. Wallpapers or stencils will fight the tiles.
    Your floor is amazing!

amelia0008 thanked RedRyder
  • btydrvn
    3 years ago

You already have lots of white that cant be changed...so i might paint all walls white and do a floor matching treatment to the doors...this gives you just enough homage to the floors while still feeling fresh and clean like a laundry room should

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

Perhaps the door treatment could just be few diamonds painted/stenciled on white doors...

• PRO
    Inside Out Staging and Design
    3 years ago

I think a slightly lighter shade of grey would tie the wall and floor tiles together and make everything feel cohesive and intentional. Maybe black pulls on the doors

amelia0008 thanked Inside Out Staging and Design
  • btydrvn
    3 years ago

Stencils can be made to match the floor diamonds

• PRO
    Inside Out Staging and Design
    3 years ago

Grey and black would also tie the adjoining tiled floor in

• amelia0008
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Is going with grey too dated? Ive got greige all over the place. F&B dove tail or Plummet with white accents (somehow) is beckoning me. The cabinetry will remain wood (just switching out the inner panels) and unfortunately I can't understand how to replace hardware, as it is currently keys.