marketerme

I really hate my wall sconces

marketerme

Brand new office shed. I did great on the floor (European white oak) but whiffed on the sconces. They are too modern. I’m horrible at this. Functionally, they need to provide ambient lighting.

• marketerme

Thank you, everyone, except Jan. Please mind your tone. Not sure at all what was intended by your comment. I never said there is not enough light; there is plenty of light. My issue is with the style of sconces. I don’t need advice on lighting the rest of the room, I don’t need a chandelier, I don’t need recessed lighting. I am looking for ideas I’m a community of people who are generally quite helpful and pleasant.
    To everyone else, thank you.

I hate the color I painted my kitchen!

I think you can soften the look overall by hanging a large painting over the space where you have the small picture resting. You can play with greens in the pic but make sure there's a different dominant color in the piece - maybe even a bold colored frame. Pick up a few pieces at a place that allows returns and see if they make the color more acceptable to you.

I hate my wall niche!

I say cover it completely, it will open the wall up to a larger piece of art and won't look so dated. Our builder tried to surprise us with one in our house and right before they dry walled it I asked them to cover it. It's there if anyone ever wants it back but I didn't want to date my brand new house with it.

I really want to paint my living room walls gray but I am not sure if

Start with a fabric first. Go in search of a pillow or window treatment, even a throw that has the grey tones you like and compliments your brown sofa first and then pull the grey tones from that fabric to find the perfect grey paint. If in the event you hate how the grey and brown are paired together you didn't make that commitment on the walls first. Good Luck to you, hope you get the answer you were looking for!

Help!! I hate the way my tile guys laid my brick (shocker I know)

Hi-I’m pretty happy with it! I think I would prefer a simple running pattern but the herringbone is beautiful too. I looked at several reclaimed options too, but I actually liked the Home Depot thin brick and it was easy to install and inexpensive.
  • marketerme

Here is a photo of the inside and outside of the space.

RL Relocation LLC

Im curious why you choose to put those by the door? Also, we have to keep in mind outlet placement. And it looks like you will have the desk where the folding table is? Or is that to be a surface of sorts there?

marketerme thanked RL Relocation LLC
  • marketerme

RL Relocation, DH hates recessed, opposite wall will be bookcase/shelves, will have floor and table lamps as well. They provide great light, the style is just more contemporary than we thought they would be. It’s a southwest facing space so lots of light all day.
    Not sure where the desk will be, ultimately. Working in space to get feel for what feels and functions best.
    Outlets are everywhere, so no constraints on placing anything requiring an outlet.

• marketerme

Hopefully that answers your question!

RL Relocation LLC

I would get something that actuates so you can turn it up to the ceiling to spread light, or aim it at a work surface.

RL Relocation LLC

That sounds like it will be pretty tight in there.

• ital mover

might as well furnish and settl on all the arranging first and pick the sconces last.

• marketerme

RL Remodel - thank you! Love the ideas. With bookcase and desk there will still be plenty of room. It’s 10x12

• everdebz

They fit neatly enough in the spots - eliminating dark corner.

If a small room, possibly buying another shape could draw more attention to them. Seem to have same shape as windows, personally I like that. If you need a task lamp, yeh.

RL Relocation LLC

Side note: did you put a dimmer switch in? if not you should.

marketerme thanked RL Relocation LLC
  • Hannah Wolfson

Ohhh, you did nail those floors. Lovely. And what's your exterior color? It looks great.

As for the sconces, they do seem too big for the space and a bit... aggressive? Also, having the tops line up with the top of the door feels more industrial than Japandi.

What accent colors are you using? Do you have any other light fixtures in there that you need to match? We have sliders in our DR similar to yours and used a brushed brass minimalist sconce from Etsy that's similar to this: https://www.lumens.com/nodes-1-light-angled-wall-sconce-by-kelly-by-kelly-wearstler-KKW1846803.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=PLA&utm_term=&utm_brand=Kelly-by-Kelly-Wearstler&utm_id=KKW1846803&utm_campaign=189692751&gclid=Cj0KCQiAvbiBBhD-ARIsAGM48bxZvxYIm_TgaUiqE-G9qYyUP9dtiYDpEcxBI73FNiry8p_Eb6L9MMAaAnwBEALw_wcB

If you go with metal, you'd want it to be matte to fit your vibe, not a shiny. brass, and not too angular. Or maybe something more subtle like this (I think the white or the gray would work): https://www.roomandboard.com/catalog/lighting/wall-sconces/mezzo-wall-sconce/656020?articleNumber=656020&productGroup=28641&Camp=gshop_lighting_producttype&k_clickid=b80a1f35-b43f-4ae4-9a8f-535065796067&utm_source=google&utm_id=go_cmp-2061936665_adg-81575038492_ad-380731253488_aud-850019464789:pla-883041618924_dev-c_ext-_prd-28641-7807176F&attr=NH4_Google_All%20Categories_Similar%20Audiences_Prospecting_DMT_US_Sales&kpid=go_cmp-2061936665_adg-81575038492_ad-380731253488_aud-850019464789:pla-883041618924_dev-c_ext-_prd-28641-7807176F_mca-5476240_sig-Cj0KCQiAvbiBBhD-ARIsAGM48bw1_dj2YAW3Y46qxlyDkIhM_qhKtjQjMkaUOUAsWkyvM7GKTj2KY18aAv-OEALw_wcB&gclid=Cj0KCQiAvbiBBhD-ARIsAGM48bw1_dj2YAW3Y46qxlyDkIhM_qhKtjQjMkaUOUAsWkyvM7GKTj2KY18aAv-OEALw_wcB

One other thought--this one in butterscotch might be amazing with your tawny walls: https://www.schoolhouse.com/collections/wall-sconce-fixtures/products/allegheny-indooroutdoor-led-sconce

marketerme thanked Hannah Wolfson
  • tangerinedoor

Just go to Ikea. You'll find something sleek and interesting. Contemporary. Creative. I find their lamps to be very well made.

If you want to figure out how they can get styled into a room, you can download Ikea's catalog. Ikea puts everything together....

marketerme thanked tangerinedoor
  • marketerme

@RL- oh yes, I definitely put in a dimmer switch

• ptreckel

Do you need the sconces there, on either side of the slider? They seem rather crowded there. Actually, I think they would look fabulous on the outside of your office! OR something like them. Perhaps you could change them to be on the outside of your space? BTW, it is a really beautiful little building!

marketerme thanked ptreckel
  • marketerme

@Hannah - thank you! Your response was super helpful! The outer walls are Benjamin Moore Onyx. The space is a true blank slate regarding furnishings. I don’t have anything (yet) to put inside as I figured I’d work there for a few weeks until I knew exactly what I needed (like, size of desk, lounge chair or bench or nothing, bookcase with drawers or not, etc)

• Maureen

Instead of looking for new sconces at this time, I’d finalize the room’s set up. Lighting can have such a big impact and I find not only is the style off, but the location and placing elsewhere will provide so many options

marketerme thanked Maureen
  • thinkdesignlive

I agree with those that said to furnish the space and then tackle lamps. You will need a few types in order to adequately like the space in addition to the new sconces. So best to pick them out all at the same time knowing what the furniture style and finishes are. Consider the lighting like jewelry for your space. You pick out your jewelry after you know your outfit.

marketerme thanked thinkdesignlive
  • cleo

No offense but your initial post said you need these sconces to provide AMBIENT lighting. Jan addresses this in her response to educate you that sconces provide ACCENT lighting not ambient lighting.

Ambient lighting comes from windows and ceiling sources and is the main lighting for the room. Sconces are not.

Your response to Jan was really rude considering your initial post used incorrect terminology.

RL Relocation LLC

@cleo No offence but you are rude? That is what you took the time to come on here and post about..........not helpful. And in a space, this small with low ceilings the proper sconce can provide ambient light period. otherwise, bedside swing arms would not exist. Also with LED the candle foot light measure no longer apply and light distribution is completely varied to the amount of space you are in. You can light an entire 10x10 room with wall lighting and have it be ample.

marketerme thanked RL Relocation LLC
    RL Relocation LLC

Jan makes great points, she has years of experience I do not deny that. A lot of the time I agree with her. in this small little room, I do not.

marketerme thanked RL Relocation LLC
  • tangerinedoor

Who gives a rip whether ambient or accent lighting is what's being discussed? That's not important! This post is about sconce-ing the wall near the sliding door, as far as I can tell, and putting light into the room. It's not about terminology.

From my experience, ignore @JAN MOYER and @cleo. Jan is A+ at sneering and lecturing: chronic nastie.

marketerme thanked tangerinedoor
  • marketerme

Thank you all. And, yes, (thank you to the posters who have helped reinforce this) the sconces provide plenty of ambient light for this small room. This is purely a style inquiry.

• tangerinedoor

I actually like the idea of sconce(s) near the sliding door. I think if it were me, though, I'd look at doing just one. My fear is most any sconce on the left side will look cramped.

If you only have a sconce on the right (so you no longer have to have one design that works in both places), I'm thinking you'd have many, many options in that space. You could go tall and slender, parallel to the door frame, you could choose a large sconce (maybe Scan, or something), and move it over a bit so it becomes a statement piece and part of the room decor, not an inobtrusive item.

marketerme thanked tangerinedoor
  • ILoveMod

I don't agree that ceiling light provides good ambient lighting. (yes, you can get the room to be bright, but in an unpleasant way.) I personally prefer to have lighting to be at or around eye level. if you need the room to be bright, then at least two or three, scattered around the room.

if it needs to be bright, I love white shades with 100 watt equivalent LED bulbs (I prefer around 3000K if being used at night, 4000K if used during the day). the white shade will keep them from being too harsh. you can put them on a dimmer for times when you need it to be more mellow.

also add some kind of task lamp at your desk.

marketerme thanked ILoveMod
  • tangerinedoor

@ILoveMod Oooh, great lights! I love all of them, even though this is not my thread!

That table lamp would echo the wood floors without being too matchy matchy.

Nice simple desk lamp. Definitely for a grown up. Great in a small space.

marketerme thanked tangerinedoor
  • ILoveMod

oh also, are you trying to make this brighter during the day? you might consider solartubes or skylights for natural lighting. or enlarging a window if you can.

if that's not doable, re-arrange so your desk is facing the sliding glass doors. being able to look outside whenever you look up from your screen will make a huge difference (trust me, I have a dark office too, this really helps a lot). also consider painting the room white, and getting a light desktop, which will bounce natural light around.

marketerme thanked ILoveMod
  • marketerme

You guys are the best! I LOVE all the constructive ideas and comments. I don't really use the lights during the day, unless I have a video call (but even with video calls, I mostly use a video light...whatever those are called), and even then, I turn the dimmer to 50%. The room faces mostly south so it's super bright without lights all day until around 4p, and then I use the lights but again, only at 50%. @ILoveMod I LOVE the desk lamp and agree: we chose not to do recessed or ceiling lights because 1)my husband hates them and 2)they are horrible for video calls...emphasizes all my wrinkles! Even in my corporate office, I keep the overhead lights off and only use table lamps. @tangerinedoor you may be on to something with just one sconce. and: I love your comment "Definitely for a grown up"....LOL! @RL Relocation LLC I think you've helped me with previous posts as well...I really love your help! @ptreckel thank you! I designed the building. Our main house is Eichler-esque and is full of windows in the back, and the small office is in view from some areas in the house, so I needed it to be something beautiful to look at. I plan to do a landscape update once I finish the interior of the little guy.

This is the actual sconce https://modernforms.com/product/stem

• ILoveMod

I see how that happened. that sconce looks really beautiful online, but yeah, just kind of so-so on your wall. I could see them being gorgeous if you wanted to re-purpose them in a bathroom though!

so... you say your house is Eichler-esque? um, I need to see more, if you're willing to share!

marketerme thanked ILoveMod
  • marketerme

Sure! I’ll find a few photos

• marketerme

Kind of hard to capture the full space but here are a few shots. We will be redoing the kitchen floors, etc. in the next year.

• Kendrah

I am a huge fan of lighting and while I can see the analogy to jewelry, I can also imagine designing a whole room around a stellar set of sconces and favorite floor and table lights. Instead of just thinking about the sconces on their own, I'd think about them in relationship to the texture, color, and shape of your other lights. There are a lot of squares and rectangles in the space, so I really like some of the cone shaped examples above. I also like the idea of just having one on the right side. Have it be a statement piece.

I'm with your husband on recessed lighting. Enjoy your south facing exposures. How lucky to have this workspace.

marketerme thanked Kendrah
    RL Relocation LLC

I say at this point get furnished, get all the lamps placed, then we can really pick something that fits the bill.

marketerme thanked RL Relocation LLC
  • ILoveMod

marketerme oh, it's gorgeous! I'm jealous of your huge kitchen and that you can go straight outside from there. we have a similar style home, but the layout is not nearly as good as yours.

you have a very special house, enjoy it!

• tangerinedoor

It's lovely!

Yes, TOTALLY get rid of the sconces in the office space. They don't go with your architecture. I would just take them to the local charity that builds stuff for people or sell them online.

I would skip brassiness on any fixtures; it's not compatible with the architecture.

Start over with those lights. Re-imagine, re-think. Just like you're doing here.

I would echo some of the features of the big house into the office space. You could find sconces with a wood element.

• marketerme

Since many of you have fantastic ideas, do you have any suggestions for bookshelves for the space? They will be along the back wall behind the chair (chair isn’t staying).

RL Relocation LLC

I would get the desk in there first and see what kind of space you have I think the desk is more important space wise.

• marketerme

I’ll have enough space. Desk will be roughly same size as the table I’m currently using as a desk (so, 4’ wide by 22-ish deep. Hard to tell from photo, the floor area is 10’ deep by 12’ wide!

• tangerinedoor

How many books do you have in mind? An academic library? Casual reading? Zoom set? Tchotchkes?

Lighting will factor in on that back wall, too, so there needs to be room for lighting in the design scheme (including a bookcase) back there.

Do you have any sample photos that capture what you're looking for in a bookcase? Would you like an echo feature from the main house?

Do you want built-in or freestanding (even freestanding should be anchored against the wall if they're tall)?

• marketerme

Great questions! The first two images below are kind of what I was thinking, style-wise. So, mostly open shelves with some drawers. The last picture is a bookcase in our main house, which gives an example of how we use bookcases. The bookcase in the office will also be used for work binders and paperwork. I hide that stuff in the main bookcase (on the right) behind the sliding doors.

• ILoveMod

those are really beautiful bookcases! have you seen the Floyd shelves? they're modular and really customizable!

• Sammy

What a great new office space you have! I’m so jealous of people who have property that can accommodate an outbuilding like that. As far as lighting goes, I second @ILoveMod’s suggestion re: adding skylights. In fact, it looks like skylights would work terrifically in your main living area, too. Big fan of skylights I am in case you couldn’t tell. 😬

• tangerinedoor

@marketerme I find myself liking almost everything ^^^^. The ones with cupboards look more grounded IMO.

The one thing you might run into as you get ideas for shelving on that back wall... I'm thinking if it were me, I'd put the drawer features about my shoulder level when sitting. The thing is, if the drawers are all the way on the ground, it might make the wall look shorter. IMO you don't want the wall to look shorter. If anything, you'd want it to look taller. So, I think a little leg showing would be good. Someone might want to disagree with me on this, though---I'm not certain.

This has all got to look good on Zoom, correct?

It maybe would help—to get an idea of the bookshelf, drawers, and wall size vs. you—to mock up that wall with shelves and a pinup of you seated in front. Move stuff around 'til it looks right. This is the kind of thing that's always trial and error for me.

Although I like the look of your first photo, @marketerme, if it were me, I'd really struggle with books falling off. I would find it maddening! IME there needs to be a more solid divider between sections so books don't fall over.

I would do whatever it takes for there to be strong verticals on the bookcase. Strong horizontals (even just a row of books) will make that wall look really squat. IMO

A tall, slim, floor lamp will also send the eye upward. I think I would put one in the back left corner. On the ceiling I might put a row of little lights beamed at the upper half of the bookcase, so the eye goes upward.

Again, feel free to correct me! I only ever do this by trial and error!

• tangerinedoor

I've grabbed some ideas for concept.

Contemporary Living Room · More Info

House N · More Info

Quick Street · More Info

marketerme thanked tangerinedoor
  • tangerinedoor

Naomi's House · More Info

Contemporary Home Office & Library · More Info

Cat Mountain · More Info

marketerme thanked tangerinedoor
  • tangerinedoor

Midcentury Family Room · More Info

Brentwood - Sullivan Canyon · More Info

marketerme thanked tangerinedoor
  • tangerinedoor

New Home in Windsor · More Info

Queen Anne Mid Century Modern · More Info

South Canyon: Colorful Modern Mix · More Info

marketerme thanked tangerinedoor
  • shelleysmith999

...

marketerme thanked shelleysmith999