ilovetogrow

Hosta Best of / Worst of 2020

Tell us who you liked did well or who deserves to be on Ken's driveway with the name of Carp.

You can use past years photos too.

Next: Flowers

Have a great day everyone!!!

• Beth (5b - SE-Michigan)

I love the cat taped to the wall for a zoom meeting our cat loves to be in front of the camera.

Worst

Andrew - this poor guy gets smaller and smaller. I would love to grow this one since the name is the same as our son.

Ghost Spirit - looks good till it blooms then just about disappears

Lakeside Black Satin - grows slow and needs fertilizer.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

who deserves to be on Ken's driveway with the name of Carp.

===>>> OMG!!!!!!

ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

Advice, or reviews on Behr Deckover?

BEHR Deckover was a gross waste of my money. Despite preparing the wood which was not new, all the paint peeled off within a few months . But, instead of refunding my money for the cost of the paint and the labor to install it, Behr sent me two pallets of replacement Deckover which obviously did not want and had no use for. Consequently, I have gallons of useless Deckover sitting in my shed gathering dust.

Patio Design Help!

Stamped concrete would look great but definitely towards the higher end in terms of cost, one thing you may want to consider which gives a consistent surface but adds depth and interest is a mortar set flagstone patio. As compared to a sand set flagstone patio a mortar set patio is more permanent and definitely less maintenance as sand washes away, weathers and requires replacement every year or two. One thing to also keep in mind if you are looking to go with a stamped concrete patio is access, the farther you are from the street and truck access the more the cost will go up for the install, this is true for other patio types as well but definitely true for concrete patios. Pavers are a great choice as well, we do many paver installs and some flagstone patios as well, we focus heavily on modern design so pavers is the better choice over flagstone to achieve the look we strive to provide. We would also suggest providing some kind of screening as well, if you are going to the trouble and cost and use the area quite a bit some screening from the alleyway would aid in the experience of making the space more comforting and intimate. Screening can be achieved in a variety of ways from fencing, to landscaping (mainly trees), also a combination of trellises with plantings trained to adhere to them and provide filtering and directing views into the area once it is finished.

POLL: What are you planning to grow this summer?

I am growing roses but also trying my luck with a beefsteak tomato plant and a cherry one. I also brought back some rhubarb from the house where I used to live and planted it here. Also chives. I have never seen chives get this big!!! The ones we used to grow were almost half the size of the ones we had at the house. For the rhubarb I read somewhere where one could not pick any when it is in its first year. Is this because it needs to get established?? I left it too late to actually dig up the roots as two thirds of it already had big leaves on it. So I went to the end of the row where the leaves were smaller and dug up about 4 or 5 of them. Two of them are going like gangbusters. But the ones our apartment hired to do the gardens we all swear they don't know a flower from a weed. In fact people have planted stuff and then they come along and pull them out. I think they did that with one of the rhubarb plants. Then there was an iris growing there and it got the stalk with this big bud on it ready to open and then they come along and cut the stalk with the bud on it off when I imagine using the whipper thing. I always check my roses every day and so far none of them have suffered the same fate. I guess they know what roses are. I would love to have a garden and grow zucchini, leaf lettuce but there is no room for me to put them. There are gardens other people are using to grow their vegetables in and this one woman I asked regarding hers last year but she said she needed it to plant herbs in and whatnot but not flowers. Well this year she had to give it up as she was too busy working at the PO to look after it. I had no idea it was available and the payoff was the husband and wife that just moved into the apartment this year they up and used it to grow their vegetables in.

2019/2020 Kitchen Remodel Before & After

Ikroop, fyi there is an extensive thread on the Ilve ranges going right now on Houzz with lots of good info on it. I suppose you will have to google Houzz and Ilve to find it. (i don’t know how to link with my I pAd, sorry). I love mine for the looks, and I just cook for my husband and me so it doesn’t get used a lot. I would say if I were cooking for a big family I would probably go for a good cook top and wall ovens that self clean. I have burned myself many times trying to baste or pull things out of the low oven. Never happened with my wall ovens. Check out the other thread before you buy. Good luck!
  • Beth (5b - SE-Michigan)

The good

Atlantis - behind American Sweetheart. Looks beautiful all season and grows quick

Coal Miner - I love the blue large upright leaves. This has gotten very large lately

Yellow River - I love the blue-ish leaves. This one looks beautiful in the garden.

• old_dirt 6a

While I had a disappointing year with all the storm damage, there were some good ones earlier in the year. I didn't have the heart to take pictures after they were crushed and trampled.

Dancing Queen - Ranks as one of the best ones because it's up front, bright and just stands out.

Harriet Ward - Possibly the worst. Don't know what happened to her, 2019 she was quite nice and this year - well :(

• steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio

Worst - the multiple frosts in the spring and working too hard to protect them.

Glossy Ruffles hit pretty hard

Followed by poor growth the first spring of this new bed. The two bigger plants on the bottom were moved from elsewhere.
    Restless Sea was moved from that bed for some discipline.

The good news, the plants from the previous year are starting to fill in and Glossy Ruffles bounced back (bottom right).

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada

Paula love the dog face, I have one of an owl.

Well the best of truly are and I have hopes for your worst!

Little Starlet (for the 2nd year in a row) is in such a bad spot. It starts out okay but deteriorates. The deer got to the eyes before my first spray. I will be out there this year when there is still some snow left on the ground.

Kaleidochrome should be doing much better. It needs a new spot too.

I could not pick one favorite so this is a grouping I like. I had to remove the large part of Powder Keg that was reverting to Powder Blue.

• undertheoaksgardener7b

For my garden, 2020 was a great year. My garden also brought me solace and tranquility when my work throughout the pandemic filled me with so much stress.

The worst was Lakeside Cupcake, as usual. It starts so pretty, but gets really ugly by mid-summer. It performed this way when I grew it in the ground, too. I prefer growing it in the pot, as I can move it to the background when it gets ugly. I keep it because I remember my boys years ago wandering the garden, looking for "The Cupcake Plant".

Tangerine Tango was gorgeous all season. It is a pity she goes to sleep in late August (kind of early in my zone). I should plant her in the ground, which would likely help delay the dormancy. She does look good in that pot, though.

I photographed this part of my garden more often than anywhere else. From L to R, Brother Stefan, Tokudama flavicircinalis, Waukon Water, June (next to white pot), Sugar Plum (in white pot), Spartacus (divine!), Guacamole and Stained Glass. I HIGHLY recommend Spartacus to everyone, a good grower with lovely habit, leaf characteristics and coloring. Y'all know how I feel about Sugar Plum, too.

Solar Flare in the foreground, grown in full-sun to part-sun. This is year it took on mature characteristics. It was its 3rd year. It will be BIG.

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

Paula..love the amazing natural image of the dog..
    sharing a dog photo that I like..

best..Krossa Regal..

best..Krossa Regal

best..June

worst..Praying Hands..this one needs prayers..could be a goner without divine intervention..

my view from the recliner today..the snow on the birdfeeder is new..yesterday this was clean..

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

utog..sorry but your Lakeside Cupcake made me laugh!..I don't have one..they must be difficult..I love how you said it's in a pot so that "I can move it to the background when it gets ugly"!!!..😂

I took Praying Hands out of the pot and "planted" it in the corner of my compost bin..as we dumped chipped debris eventually it was completely buried..I'll check in the spring..but it could be in it's final resting place..

I enjoyed all of the worsts and wanted to say I feel bad singling out utog's Lakeside Cupcake..it surprised me to see it with her other great hostas..feel free everyone to laugh at my Praying Hands..😂

• undertheoaksgardener7b

@nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis, my Lakeside Cupcake makes me laugh, too. :)

• sherrygirl zone5 N il

Steve, glad to see you aren’t letting those bad hosta get away with anything 😉

Sherry

• djacobz568sewi

Beth, never seem that Coal Miner before, but I sure like it!

old_dirt that Dancing Queen is a beauty

steve, you have so many lovely hostas....that new bed will look get this year!

peren, that bed picture i really full and so luscious

utog, your hosta bed with the lady head is so full of colors and life

nicholsworth, I knew your best would be Krossa Regal, you’re lucky to have so many beauties. I have found that Praying Hands takes a good 5 years to actually look good.

sherry, how is Zoe?

debra

• djacobz568sewi

I am happy to say my hostas really looked good this year because I was religious about my ammonia drenches. But some suffered damage being new to my garden and adjusting to my yard’s environment......but the very worse this year was the diminishing Thunderbolt:

Finally dug it up!

3-4 years old

First year

debra

• undertheoaksgardener7b

Debra, your Blue Hawaii would have tempted me to buy one if I hadn’t gotten one from Hallson’s 2 years ago!

• djacobz568sewi

I have LSPP that I moved a couple of times because it was burning even with bit of sunlight. I put it in a pot for about 6 weeks in shade and it bounced back. I planted in early September into the ground....I am anxious to se how it does this year.

debra

• steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio

RIP: Hands Up, Heat Wave, Illicit Affair, Skywriter, Sting and Temptation.

Worst living performer - Emerald Ruff Cut. In 2018 next to Lizard Lick

In 2019
    2020:

• steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio

Best of - I couldn't pick just one (well I could, but I'm saving that for later). Amalia

Bridal Falls
    Stir It Up
    The King (May 25 and August 11)

Wave Runner on the right
    Going for Gold on the left

• oursteelers 8B PNW

I almost wish I did have a best and worst to show...everything here pretty much stayed the same. No leaping, mostly sleeping :(

• miles10612

Oh Cindy had 10-12 crowns before 2020 and then it simply was 1-2 stunted sets of leaves in 2020. Blue Wedgewood which was so large in 2018 that it had to be divided but one plant disappeared completely and the other had a few small leaves. I don't know what happened but that and a formerly large Striptease came up with a few sets of leaves which seemed to have stunted growth. They are in different beds and other hostas in the beds were fine. Olive Bailey Langdon is still slowly in growing and I've had it for 5 years but maybe this will be the year. Gunther's Rim, which was purchased as Gunther's Prize but which reverted completely in 1 year was growing rapidly. I can't believe how big it would have been if only it hadn't reverted. Kiwi Full Monty continued to leap and Lakeside Prophecy and Prophecy Fulfilled had significant growth. Utog, sorry about the Cupcake, mine does fine in early morning dappled shade/sun. Peren, my Kaleidochrome took a major leap after year 4. It's in early afternoon sun which is enough to grow daylilies in since they are just a couple of feet away. It's planted between 2 Lakeside Paisley Prints which did well. Steve, I almost bought Skywriter but I am rethinking that decision.

• djacobz568sewi

Steve, well I am sorry to see your Skywriter and Sting are RIP because I just bought both.....on the other hand, I am happy to see your beautiful Amalia because I also bought that one.

oursteelers, mostly sleeping is better than mostly dying....... lol

miles, poor Oh Cindy......from so many crowns to 1 or 2??? WTH happened........ :-(

debra

• mbug_gw

I want everyone's "best of".....

Worst

Empress Wu.....after 4 years I have the smallest Empress Wu in NJ....mini Wu

Angel Falls....Love the look. I am on number 4 with no luck

Niagara Falls....ditto the above

Angel Falls ....best any of them ever looked.....downhill from here....

Fox fire Palm Sunday.....gone

Guacamole.....every year this eventually happens....tried every Deer repellant I can find, but I can't beat them!

Rare Breed, Blue Ivory, Remember Me, Captain Kirk, Captain's Adventure, among others, are all gone to Hosta Heaven

Many more with no pics.

• mbug_gw

A few of the "best"

Liberty

Clear Fork River Valley

Ambrosia

Twofer....Autumn Frost below, June above

Stag's Leap

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada

mbug I really feel for you. A few years ago I had so many celery sticks it was enough to make me not want to go in the garden.

I now spray every 2 weeks with Bobbex. I get the concentrate and use a sprayer. I will start even earlier this year so that the deer won't munch on the eyes when they are barely visible.

I have heavy predation living in a forest. Liquid Fence is supposed to be effective also. I may have to get some and switch up every couple of years. My dog helps but he sleeps in the house. I despise the deer now!

• mbug_gw

Thanks peren. It's so disheartening. Haven't tried Bobbex. I'll try that next.

• old_dirt 6a

peren.all, Do you use the 'deer' Bobbex? I see they have different listings for deer and rabbit and animal. I'm wondering what is this difference and would either one also deter the other?

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada

old_dirt I get the Deer Bobbex but the Deer/Rabbit might be the same formula. If you have both deer and rabbits I might go for the Deer and Rabbit.

I can only say that using the Deer Bobbex I have had no other critter damage. I have the occasional rabbit and ground hog but not a population unlike the deer that are beyond plentiful.

I see they have one for just rabbit also. I searched and can't find the ingredient label(s). I order mine in since they generally stock only the ready to spray. It would be interesting to compare the formula for both.

All I do know for sure is that it really works!

I tried Plantskydd and hated it. It discoloured foliage and my dog would try and lick it off. Not recommended.

• Shadow -4A-NB Canada

Stetson is my worst. Not because of performance but it just gets so doggone shrivelled . Nothing like the photo when I purchased it.

Super Nova was my fav this year. I love how much it grow so fast and the blue and yellow. Great coloring.

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

peren..a local garden writer recommends Plantskydd to deter squirrels from digging in pots..I've never tried Plantskydd but when I read the active ingredients blood meal was the primary ingredient..explains why your dog likes it..I've tried blood meal and it didn't stop the squirrels..maybe I didn't use enough? but it felt as if I did..thank you for the info..knowing you hated Plantskydd means something to me..do you think Deer Bobbex would stop squirrels?..

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada

nw I believe it would. There is one for Bobbex for Rabbits/squirrels & small rodents.

You have never mentioned deer coming in but I would go for the deer or deer rabbit one to cover all the bases. I think it likely to be the same formula just packaged differently. It stinks for about 24 hours for us but works on the critters much longer time due to their superior noses. I spray every two weeks. It is not cheap but if you were only spraying your potted....You might be able to save your Praying Hands! It pains me that the squirrels desecrated it because it was really coming along well.

• steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio

IME, Bobbex works great wherever you spray it, but you need to spray the whole surface. That was too much work for me. The deer would nibble right next to the sprayed plant and they would sample the sprayed plant before moving on (especially daylilly flowers). Liquid fence seemed to deter them from coming into the area better. Bobbex handles the rain better. Deer seem to like the fragrant Hosta flavor better, even when they aren't blooming. Although, their blooms just entice them into coming from further away.

This is my 3rd year in a row ordering Skywriter (or maybe its 3 out of 4 years). The first year it wasn't delivered. My problem with Sting and Skywriter might have been planting the spin out bag too high (too much trouble digging them deep enough, plus the new bed settling) and the crown being slightly above ground level next to the bag (but underneath the soil level in the bag) through a winter with lots of freezes and thaws. If you can make sense of that. I wouldn't hesitate to get either one of them again, but I have some other plants similar to Sting - Like Ooh La La!

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

peren..I did have deer years ago..then the nearby park had a deer hunt..there were protestors..it was on the news..interviews with scientists explaining the need..the land couldn't support the high population..since the hunt I haven't seen any deer..I did see what I think were tracks in some snow last winter..but my hostas have been safe for years..

I should start looking and be ready to spray my pots as soon as they go out..finding bent elephant ears, cannas, annuals etc is such a disappointment..

• undertheoaksgardener7b

Mango Salsa, grown in full to part-sun. Perfect all season, with great flowers, too. April 2020. I took so many pictures of this one all season, from March through late October.

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

utog..Mango Salsa is gorgeous..love the red petioles with the yellow leaves..these colors stand out in green gardens like yours and mine..

• miles10612

We rotate deer sprays since they seem to get used to the same one if it's used for several months. We have used Liquid Fence, Deer Out, Deer Stopper II and I Must Garden Deer Repellent Spice Scent. We begin spraying very early and continue at least once a week. When my daylilies are in bud we spray the buds and anything else they might be especially interested in and stop to smell, etc at least twice a week. We don't have deer damage. We don't have a fence and have herds of deer in the neighborhood. I might also add that most of the larger spray units (got several from A.M. Leonard) get clogged by deer spray. We mix of batches of repellent from the concentrate and use smaller hand held bottles. I haven't tried the ammonia drench but after reading everything here I have decided to try it early this year.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada

Old dirt your Dancing Queen is looking "queen like!" You've also done a good job placing the "right" colors beside DQ.

OK Steve, now you're making me curious about this one very special hosta that you aren't telling us about!

Miles, you made me chuckle---"but maybe this will be the year"---I say that every year!

Oursteelers, now if there was "No leaping, mostly sleeping---then 2021 has got to be THE year to get a lot of them leaping! There is always hope.

Peren.all, I am glad the Bobbex works for you. I can see that deer can do so much damage. I bought Bobbex a couple of years ago when someone recommended it as a spray for potted hosta. It was to deter squirrels from digging in them. I can't say I've tried it though. Kind of forgot about it. You made me wonder what kind of Bobbex spray I had. I don't even think I noticed whether it said it was for deer or whatever. I went to look and it turns out I have the deer and rabbit spray. It does say what it contains. Here are the ingredients:

Mbug, your heuchera are very pretty. Which heuchera do you have by Liberty and with your Autumn Frost and June?

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada

Now what should I say about my best and my worst? I think my best are the ones I take a lot of pictures of.

So some of the best are:

Blue Cadet. I love the shape of the hosta as it emerges and begins to unfold. Very photogenic.

Wiggles and Squiggles. Here it is in October. It holds up well into the season.

And probably Liberty is the one I photographed the most. Here it is with Blue Cadet.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada

For the worst, what can I say. I certainly have my share of them!

So I'd say Deep Blue Sea has barely grown for me. I started it out in a pot, but in 2019 planted it into the ground. I've had it for three years.

So in this picture with Guardian Angel on top and War Paint to the right, did you notice a teeny tiny thing growing to the left of War Paint and below Guardian Angel? Well that's Deep Blue Sea! DBS eventually grew, but then the other two hosta towered over it. Now I need to move at least one of these. Not sure where!

Here I am lifting GA and WP away to take a photo of Deep Blue Sea.

Then there is Cookie Crumbs. It was very small so I decided to plant it in the garden. I think I must have been brain dead when I made that decision. So this teeny tiny thing went into the garden and the squirrels were digging like mad. I tried to check on it daily but I can't say it survived the season. Now I have to wait for spring to see if it's gone. That was a dumb decision!

And then there is Lakeside Prophecy Fulfilled. Such a pretty hosta, but not pretty anymore. I found a spot for it and dug it into the garden in September. I think it could have a chance to survive there. But maybe not---my husband didn't see it and stepped on it while in the garden. And now we wait and see what this spring brings.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada

Now I remember one of my best and favorite hosta! Clear Fork River Valley!

How could I forget!

• undertheoaksgardener7b

Nhl, your CFRV is why I bought one last year!

• djacobz568sewi

Newhostalady, I planted Mighty Mouse last spring and a few days later stepped on it. Two leaves broke off, but it grew new ones in no time at all. LSPP should come up fine. As long as the roots and crown were ok after the step......should be 👍🏽

debra

• djacobz568sewi

Newhostalady, I wanted to mention that your CFRV is the lightest one I’ve seen......all the others are very dark. Hmmmmmm.........

debra

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada

I hope you love your new CFRV Utog! I think it is one of those hosta that gets better and better as it grows.

Debra, I do hope that LSPP will be OK! Sometimes I find that hostas doing poorly in a pot will make a comeback, but it takes a couple of years to really get going after a setback of rot or whatever.

As for the coloring of CFRV, your comment is interesting to me. So I had a look at the Hosta Library. I see a lot of different color variation there too. Perhaps it has to do with the amount of sunlight the hosta gets? I think in the spring my CFRV gets a couple hours of sun. When my large tree grows its leaves, my sun is greatly diminished. That area will now get some strong sun, but not for too long.

Here is the same hosta in September. When the blue disappears, it becomes green and darker.

• windymess z6a KC, Ks

I don’t have pictures to post for this category, but I will say- it’s encouraging to read of some of your problems (as well as the successes). Understand, I’m not happy about any garden problems or failures that you’ve had... just glad to know it’s not only me.

Last spring I had a whole bunch in pots that didn’t come up. I think what happened is they were “rode hard and put up wet” as they say. Literally ’put up wet’ - which isn’t good for overwintering hostas. I’d had really good success overwintering pots previously, but I think I had way too much to do that fall of 2019 and DH and I hurriedly put them in the garage (some stacked 😬) too wet. Rot, I’m sure, was the culprit. Live and learn.

Hence, I worked like a slave last summer to get everything into the ground. If nothing else, I had an easier fall... and with the extreme cold winter we’ve had I hope they’re having a good dormant period and come up great this year, like so many of your “best of.”

• miles10612

Windymess, interesting about your issues with overwintering pots. I have never had success with other plants in the past--perhaps I overwatered or my garage is just too cold. Everyone always says just put them in the garage but I have resisted and your post has given me even more reason to plant them and not overwinter them inside of a garage.

• windymess z6a KC, Ks

Miles- I would do it again if I had only a few potted hostas. And I would pay closer attention and make sure they were much drier. Also- I would never stack them again - pretty sure that was the undoing of them. But we had unusual circumstances that year.

I have tried with some other outdoor potted plants, but with no success. Some can be brought indoors for the winter, IF you have room and the proper conditions (ivy, ferns, herbs, etc). I’ve given up on that too and consider those plants to be only seasonal garden joys.

• miles10612

I brought in a couple of large "house plants" that I take outside for the summer but I've given up on bringing in lots of plants. I used to haul a large oleander inside and begonias which never did that well. I've also tried to plant spring bulbs in a large container and put them in the cold garage and then they were supposed to come inside the warm house and bloom, all they did was rot.

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada

windymess not that we wish it on others but it is reassuring to know that we are not alone. In the garden I lost Stained Glass over a winter. It had been in the garden for 3 or 4 years and was just starting to do really well then the next spring it was gone like it had never existed. I also lost a Great Expectations.

Yes, windymess & miles overwintering pots is another story. I have had success though I can think of at least a dozen I have lost. It is hard to strike that balance between holding them too wet and too dry. I believe I err on the side of too dry. I am sure freeze/thaw cycles play a major roll too.