Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eb6363

How can I order furniture before I move in somewhere?

Emily B
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi, I am closing on a home and will get the keys in about 5 weeks. I want to be able to move in as quickly as possible, so it would be really awesome if I had everything arrive during the first week that I'm there -- furniture, light fixtures, etc. We don't own anything and will be ordering all of the furnishings for the house online.

However, I'm finding it very tricky thinking through how to ensure that the majority of my major pieces all arrive on exactly the right dates, especially since so many companies don't give a super precise idea of the delivery date. I'm also scared that something could arrive early and I would be inconveniencing the current owner. Not to mention, if I don't have furniture in the home, I don't exactly want to sit around there all day for days on end, waiting to receive packages.

Excuse my ignorance, but how do people handle this kind of situation? Can a regular homeowner use a warehousing company to receive & deliver all the pieces? Are there any businesses like that who will also assemble the furniture as well?

Comments (22)

• WestCoast Hopeful
    3 years ago

When we moved into our new build we ordered the sofa/sectional to be delivered on move in day. The mattress came a couple days earlier. We had tons of stuff to move but those main things were decorated and then we decorated over time. Within the first few months we got all new bedroom furniture and completed the rest of the living room. Most people have some stuff that will start them off then can measure spaces and purchase accordingly once in the house

Emily B thanked WestCoast Hopeful
  • decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

Covid-19 has made all deliveries fluid. I think assembling furniture after it is in the home will be a precautionary approach. It is less likely to get bunged up in transit if still in the box. I would rent space in a storage facility nearby and have the deliveries made there. Pay the staff additional to handle opening and making your storage available to delivery people. Of course, there will have to be lots of negotiation and deliveries can't be made after closing hours of the office.

Emily B thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Design Girl
    3 years ago

Most people have some furniture when moving somewhere - and most people sit around all day waiting for deliveries as well. We don't like it, but we do it.

Emily B thanked Design Girl
  • sushipup1
    3 years ago

If you are getting a loan on your new house, then do not use credit, card or new account, to buy anything new. It will show p on your credit score and may impact your closing. So just be patient, and go shopping after you're in. Yeah, like Design Girl said, you just have to live with it a while.

Emily B thanked sushipup1
  • Emily B
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Sushipup, that would only be the case if you didn't pay off your card right away, right? I don't think anything gets reported to the credit bureaus except the balance you are carrying. You can have a high volume of transactions without that affecting your credit score, I believe. I wouldn't want to miss out on all the rewards of spending many thousands of dollars on credit cards, which is far more cost effective.

• Design Girl
    3 years ago

@Emily B - It will effect your credit score if you are highly leveraged, or have used most of your open credit. It will change after it's paid off, but will take a while. This just happened to my son.

Emily B thanked Design Girl
  • Alice Edwards
    3 years ago

I’m thinking like mentioned previously if you are just making it close to the closing parameters, it could delay your closing to see these charges on a credit facility? The mortgage company, i believe in most cases, will usually re-run your credit standings to verify your ratios 24 hours before closing and it could delay closing on your home.

Emily B thanked Alice Edwards
  • kempek01
    3 years ago

Be very careful with credit card charges right before closing if you are getting a mortgage. The mortgage underwriter will check your credit a few days before closing. The underwriter does not want to see big increases in credit balances.

Emily B thanked kempek01
  • Gcubed
    3 years ago

When we moved, I had stuff ordered and delivered to new home after day of closing. We officially moved in 3 weeks later (so some stuff stayed in boxes for in our home). We closed early Sept, moved later Sept. I ordered new sofa and chair in Aug during an upholstery sale-- they arrived mid-Oct. We survived with no furniture in LR for a few weeks. We already had bedroom furniture though.

Emily B thanked Gcubed
  • Martha Edwards
    3 years ago

My suggestion is to absolutely not get anything to sit or sleep on via online ordering unless to have sat/laid on/ in the exact model in a store. From sofas to living room or dining room chairs to even stools for a counter, things can look very attractive but be very uncomfortable. And price is not necessarily a good indicator of comfort.

Emily B thanked Martha Edwards
  • Indecisiveness
    3 years ago

Do you not have any existing furniture to use?

I second CH ‘s recommendation of not buying anything you will sit or lay on without testing out in a show room. However, many companies will schedule a day with you for delivery, you will need to read the fine print for delivery from the various sites you are shopping.

Do you have room dimension, floor plan etc for sizing furniture?

Emily B thanked Indecisiveness
  • Emily B
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Indecisiveness, no, because our last house burned down in a wildfire and we are currently in a furnished rental. I have taken extensive measurements of the space and used planyourroom.com to make sure the furniture will fit.

@mcbmd3 That's exactly what I'm looking for - thank you! I googled around and I was using the wrong terminology in my initial searches. Turned out I needed a "white glove receiving and delivery company." For anyone else who is looking for this kind of service.

• mcbmd3
    3 years ago

No way! Our house burned down, too, in the 2017 Sonoma County wildfires!!!

• WestCoast Hopeful
    3 years ago

Ugh o feel for you all dealing with this. If it were me I would order just a few new things for move in day then get the rest over time. Don’t rush it. Take the time to make your new home all yours

• Emily B
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@mcbmd3 - ours was in Sonoma County too, last year. Wish I were surprised by the coincidence but it seems there is an ever increasing number of us!

• artemis_ma
    3 years ago

Test a bed/mattress, test some chairs. Depending on the size of your vehicle, you might be able to drive some simple chairs home with you... you'd have to have the bed delivered. I used a borrowed folding table to eat off until I could get my furniture moved up here.

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

If worse comes to worse, you can always rent some temporary furniture to get you through until delivery.

• Anne Duke
    3 years ago

You’ll survive without furniture for a few weeks. Trying to time deliveries is a recipe for disappointment. I made an international move once and a container ended up elsewhere altogether. Got there in May and waited until September for all of it. Got to be flexible.

• K R
    3 years ago

Some companies will hold it for up to a month - Restoration Hardware did it for me. My designer friend says they often rent a storage space and have deliveries sent there before closing. Good luck!

• Gcubed
    3 years ago

Don’t make rushed purchases just because you feel you have a deadline. Mattresses are usually delivered timely but also, a few nights on an air mattress is fine. Folding table and chairs - use sane chairs to watch TV. It’s not super comfy but at least you will have time to purchase the right pieces. If the home has light fixtures already, just keep those until you order what you want. I found, even pre-pandemic, that it took weeks for things to be delivered.

• CeltiaKris
    3 years ago

Out last move had some unexpected delays. We lived in a bare house for 6 weeks before we could finally close on our new house. We had camp chairs and a camp table in our living room - my laptop was our TV. Air mattresses in the bedrooms. The one thing we did have was enough proper pots and dishes to eat normal meals.

It was fun to camp, and it may help you better define what furniture you really want and need.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH