GET IDEAS
janinecamp1

New home build in Eagle Idaho. Pella? Loewen? Plygem? Recommendation?

Janine Camp

Building a Modern Farmhouse. Will have lots of windows (casement), awning, transom, sliders. Looking at Pella/Loewen/Ply-gem/Marvin. Would love advice for a new build.

• Janine Camp

Yes, we haven’t made any decision, and I do know they are vastly different price points. i Had thought that Pella was a good company, then heard about Loewen. Ply-gem being the least expensive, maybe we will do a mix. our thought is to have Exterior will be black, interior white.

Charles Ross Homes

I suggest working with your designer and builder to select a window that balances the demands of your climate zone, the style of your home, and your budget. I've installed the brands you've mentioned, except for Ply-Gem, plus lots of others. I've only installed Loewen windows on a single project. They were a very high end product with a price tag to match. I suggest your consider Andersen as a candidate, too.

I recommend you select a single brand of windows for your home and not mix products from multiple manufacturers.

Janine Camp thanked Charles Ross Homes
    toddinmn

Marvin off that list.

Janine Camp thanked toddinmn
    RES2

To avoid thick looking windows and dark holes in your facades, start your window search by finding windows that offer black exterior sash with a frame color to match your exterior trim.

I believe Marvin Elevate and Ultimate windows offer that at no additional cost. Andersen E Series might still do it.

• lucky998877

Janine, I'm in Utah, close to the same climate as yours. We went with Anderson 400 black/black and did drywall returns inside to keep the slim modern look. My husband is a GC, and has installed hundreds of windows (he corrected me, well over 1K)...these were a big upgrade to us from the original ones that our home had.

Janine Camp thanked lucky998877
  • Sarah Chang

Hi lucky998877, we are in UT as well and are looking for black/black as well. How does Anderson 400 fall in the affordability spectrum? Thanks and sorry for diverting this thread.

• lucky998877

Hey Sarah! We used a window broker as my husband is a general contractor...and he and his guys hung all the windows...some were replacements (totally custom= more $$), most were new construction. So...while I don't remember the exact pricing, ours was different due to that. They were not cheap ;) Anderson had some kind of special at the time that made the jump from 100 to 400 not huge. We really like them!

• Janine Camp

Lucky998877 - really appreciate your response (all the others too!). I had forgotten to include Andersen Windows as one of the companies we are looking at. My builder recommends one of these three: PlyGem or Pella or Andersen. My husband prefers black exterior with white interior. We both prefer casement windows. From looking at the Andersen website, it looks like the 400Series would be a good fit.

• millworkman

"PlyGem or Pella or Andersen"

Of those 3 the Andersen should be the only fit. But I would still strongly consider the Marvin Elevate or Essentials.

Janine Camp thanked millworkman
  • lucky998877

Janine, this is one of my kitchen casements that comes down to the countertop.

• Janine Camp

Lucky998877 - thanks for the photo!!! Can you explain what you meant in your earlier comment that "We went with Anderson 400 black/black and did drywall returns inside to keep the slim modern look". I don't know what that means!

• lucky998877

This picture is exactly that...we have drywall returning to the window...no casing around it. But the window has to be ordered with that in mind...a little cheaper to order, but more cost to drywall it this way. The slim look was very important to me, many black inside/black outside windows have an overwhelming look to them due to so much black area. The outside doesn't look any different.

Janine Camp thanked lucky998877