Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frustrated_designer

Need help design living room wall

Grace Gran
10 years ago
Hello! I am planning to put bricks/stone design to the wall as accent and maintain the tv, but don't know what bricks or stone designs to put. Can I extend the design to the blank wall on the right?

Comments (18)

• Emily H
    10 years ago
    I think you could based on this one photo, but do you have more photos you can share?
  • PRO
    7j DESIGN
    10 years ago
    Layout of this room would help, along with some pictures showing rest of the room.
  • americandreamdyn
    10 years ago
    Bricks or stone "can" look great, but thats in question. We houzzers need a few more photos & details of your home.
    Will either of those design ideas flow with the style of the rest of your home?
    Check out El Dorado Stones website for brick & stone examples & of course enter "brick wall" & "stone wall" on the houzz search engine.
  • Lee Farmer
    10 years ago
    This is a real simple solution to your problem! www.hakatai.com,search for the official web site.They have every style of smooth river stone for a cost that will allow any one the opportunity to have a very high end quality product, and the very best part is the installation can be performed by the home owner with no knowledge at all!The Hakatai Company has a very devoted personal,and a very well description of DIY job.I am a professional along with my wife is a Art grad from our local University,and her Murials/Mosaics are a very beautiful accent to any room in your home.I hope you find what ever you need her and you take the time to search there entire product line for future projects in your home .Glass Stone Metals,every style of material that will assist in your home needs.I wish you very well.God Bless,and good luck.
  • Grace Gran
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi, thank you for your comments. The following pictures, I hope could give the idea how the area looks like. If you would notice the living room and dining area does not have any division. So what I thought was to put a "wall stone design" to accent the living room area and separate it from the dining area.
  • PRO
    purehome
    10 years ago
    Here is the easiest route for you that will look nice, and have a warm appeal. It is stick on wood wallpaper. Good luck!

Black Cherry Reclaimed Wood Wall Planks | Stikwood | 20 Sq Ft Pack | Real Wood, · More Info
  • PRO
    JWinteriors
    10 years ago
    Agree totally with Christine.
  • Grace Gran
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you Christine for your suggestions, I appreciate it. Wall paper is not an option since I live in a country frequently hit by storms and flooding.
  • americandreamdyn
    10 years ago
    I think Pure Home means stick on wood for wall decor, NOT a wallpaper with a wood print. However it wont go with the loads of different shades of wood you have going on.
    If you paint your wood furniture a unifying color like such as a glossy black, then the wood wall would lood great!
    Although, you did say you want a brick or stone wall. So if your heart is set on either of those 2 materials than dont be swayed away.
  • americandreamdyn
    10 years ago
    Thanks for uploading more pictures.
    Your style appears to be "Eclectic". Use "eclectic" in the houzz search engine to help you figure out how to use your favorite pieces you already own in your new dining/living room design.
    The wood bench & the 2 matching wood chairs in the living room are excellent pieces. They have "good bones" which means that they are great to build upon. They would look fantastic painted a high gloss black with new patterened fabric coushions & used as seating for the Dining Table, NOT the living room!
    They're a bench & chairs, which is NOT comfortable for lounging on for hours watching movies in the living room.
    Also the brown molding would look better painted black.
    The open hutch looks awkward in between the dining/living & would look better set into the nitch to the right of the wall mounted flatscreen. (hope it fits there) Also visible cds & dvds(or a tacky cd/dvd stand) look messy & juvenile like a college dorm room. Books arranged vertically & horizontally, small art, picture frames & a few nick nacks look great in open shelving.
  • Grace Gran
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    americandreamdyn, thank you for your comment. The open hutch that you saw was just there but will be removed once a console attached to the wall is built for the CDs DVD players and speakers.
  • nikinoks
    10 years ago
    Agree that is nice
  • PRO
    Yunfu HuanJian Stone Ltd.
    10 years ago
    In order to make good use the material existing materials in the room. I would like to suggest make a TV wall in the color tone similar or in harmonious with the furniture color. In a room, it is better to have three color tones so as to combine a harmonious looking and match each other.

In the pictures, there are two color tones, which are the brown for the furniture and the white or beige for the wall and the floor.

I would like to suggest make a brown TV wall, it can be a stone TV wall or a panel in wood or any material in brown. Main purse of the TV wall is to match the color of the brown furniture, and hide the wire of the TV and not be seen.

For the rest of the wall, it can be decorate with beige or white color stone, which can be matched with the color of the floor.

Finally, the table under the TV can be decorated with one or two small plants or decorated stuff.
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    I don't think the stone wall will accomplish what you are hoping it will. Your space doesn't appear to be very big and you have a lot of other things going on such as the coved ceiling in dining room area and what appears to be a railing up above that niche with the pot light. If you are on a tight budget, your money could be better spent just working with what you have and making it all work for you. Rather than stone veneer on that wall, a large wall unit (not built in) that can hold your TV and provide storage would suit your space better. Rather than the bench (which btw is very pretty and unique), a sofa with chaise facing the TV wall would be more functional and look better. In a smaller space like yours, it is better to define the function of each area with the rugs, furniture and things that demonstrate their purpose. Looking at that niche with the pot light, I wonder if a nice piece of vertical artwork would give that little area it's "purpose". That was probably the original intent of the feature. And beside it where there is another cantilever for the window, drapes that fill in the full width and height of that niche will look fantastic. So, as I say, maybe embrace what you have and just work with it!
  • Grace Gran
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Karemore55, I was thinking of repainting the wall under the pot light with beige and put glass shelves, or a rack for display.
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    Yes, I think that is exactly the kind of thing that niche was designed for.
  • PRO
    ErthCOVERINGS
    10 years ago
    best stone veneers on the market are by ErthCOVERINGS. Many colours and styles to choose from. www.erthcoverings.com the stone can help with the TV and add some dimension and interest to the walls