Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mqcola

Kitchen Location - undecided

mqcola
3 years ago

After gathering wonderful suggestions recommended here, my husband and I decided going with an open concept and after 1 year or so ( test run LOL) decide if we need to close the Kitchen, this way we could add some cabinetry ( as suggested here).

So, now my dilemma... Where should the kitchen be located? Which location would give the floor plan a better flow.

I really appreciate you taking the time and sharing your experience and helping us to decide.

I would like to especially thank Yvonne Martin and Emily L for their comments.

Comments (16)

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago

How far do you want to carry the groceries from your car to your kitchen? How many windows do you want in your kitchen? How many windows do you want in your dining area?

mqcola thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • calidesign
    3 years ago

I'd keep the kitchen as shown on the plan so you can have large windows in the dining area. Especially if your porch is covered by the family room, you'll want all the light coming through. I'd exchange the stove and refrigerator locations though, so the stove vents outside and the refrigerator is more accessible from the great room and away from the sink.

mqcola thanked calidesign
  • herbflavor
    3 years ago

Come from car ... couple steps off hallway and kitchen is right there. Place sink and stove on right hand exterior wall. Place fridge where you show range. Eliminate corner pantry . Why is island so small / 15 foot length of space... make more island / more drawers there/ and skip the corner walk in .

mqcola thanked herbflavor
  • mqcola
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks all for the good input . We will change the fridge and range, and it is interesting when we look things on a different perspective ( Never thought about the groceries...). @herbflavor corner pantry is a DH request, still working on it (LOL).

We will probably not do the covered porch as the rear of the house is facing NW and I am concern of not having enough light. As we will be changing the fridge and range location, I will see if I can reduce the kitchen size and get more "walking area" between kitchen and dining.

@Mark Bischak, Architect, as far as windows, this is a very good point.

I was thinking of eliminating the window facing the porch. Would love to hear suggestions on the two windows on the exterior wall. Their location look "funny" to me.

Not sure also if window by kitchen sink should be enlarged

Our dining table is 84" x 42" and I am not sure yet if I will place the 84" parallel to the 12 ft wide wall or not.

Thanks again.

• calidesign
    3 years ago

Much better window configuration above^.

mqcola thanked calidesign
  • PRO
    Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
    3 years ago

I vote keeping the kit v nook locations as is. The larger longer island is optimal. If mine or for sale, I'd move the main sink and DW to the island based on homeowner feedback. Center range behind on side wall with windows on either side.

Master closet is really two wall closets with a hall way. I'd swap closet v bath space.

mqcola thanked Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
  • mqcola
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you all for sharing all your experience. I really appreciate it you can't image how greatly I am with your help. Trying to downsize, (which is being harder than I thought).

@mama goose_gw zn6OH, thanks for the layout. It seems that I should keep the windows just placing them on a different location, this looks way better. Just need to convince DH on the pantry location. LOL Thank you all!

@ Jeffrey, I hear you on the closet position, will discuss it with DH as he is not very keen on having to go through the ensuite to get to the closet.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago

If it helps any, corner pantries tend to disrupt the flow of a kitchen so I avoid them.

Walking through a bathroom to get to a clothes closet is walking though a wet area to get to a dry area and then have to go through the wet area to leave, and it promotes moist air entering the closet which could develop a mold problem over time.

mqcola thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • Jennifer K
    3 years ago

You can put bifold doors on the fronts of your master closets. Then it really will be like a hall to the bath-- it will look nice and be convenient.

mqcola thanked Jennifer K
  • Melanie Radkiewicz
    3 years ago

Sorry I know you didn’t ask but I would consider switching the Master bath and closet......use the bathroom much more often
    Kitchen where it is absolutely

mqcola thanked Melanie Radkiewicz
  • NCSandyfeet
    3 years ago

Switching the en-suite and closets allows you to have a doorway (pocket?) to the laundry.

mqcola thanked NCSandyfeet
  • fissfiss
    3 years ago

Eliminating the corner pantry leaves you with an awkward corner....hard to reach the uppers and a need for a lazy Susan in the lower corner. I would switch the stove and fridge as suggested, but leave the pantry in the corner. Then the counter space next to the fridge can function as a bar when you are entertaining.

mqcola thanked fissfiss
  • Jennifer K
    3 years ago

My corner base cabinet holds a recycling-susan. It works great and is much less awkward than a corner pantry.

mqcola thanked Jennifer K
  • Andrea C
    3 years ago

I personally like having the eating area with the views. When you are in the kitchen, you are busy doing stuff and essentially looking at the countertops/sink/stove.

I would reevaluate the location of the garage relative to the kitchen, especially for a retirement house. That’s a lot of walking for hauling in groceries

Perhaps the buildable area of your lot requires your plan to be a very deep house, but I’m not sure of what the purpose is for such a long foyer. That’s at least an extra 150 sq ft that you are spending money building (and heating/cooling) that doesn’t seem to have a function.

• mqcola
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for all good comments, definitely the corner pantry will be debated a lot specially moving the stove to closer to the sink we will need more counter top space that the pantry is currently taking away.

@Andrea C, I agree on the long hallway, I questioned this a lot and it seems not having a solution as we want to have a study ( home office) and a extra bedroom on the main floor. So I have to accept the long hallway.