Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ncollins81

Kitchen Update-Help!

Noelle D
3 years ago

I have a large, open kitchen with huge countertops and tons of cabinets. I want to update the space but I don’t know exactly what to do..I don’t want to do a complete overhaul. In a perfect world, I’d pick a white kitchen with white marble countertops but I don’t want to spend the money to change out the quartz I have..I’m thinking of having the cabinets refinished. I do like the two tone look with a different color for the island. Any thoughts? Would it look too choppy/chintzy to just give the island a makeover by painting it white and adding trim work to the back of it?

Comments (38)

• PRO
    The Cook's Kitchen
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Can you post a diagram of the layout? With the angles, and different peninsula areas, plus an angled island, I’m having trouble reconciling how the kitchen, family room, and breakfast area, relate with the island and peninsulas. Those are important relationships to be aware of when you have an open concept space. It is one large room.

Right now, it all appears unbalanced, because the kitchen isn’t well lit, and has no windows for natural light. Balancing out the darkness requires more and better lighting, and the use of darker wood elsewhere in the whole.

• Noelle D
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Close up of cherry and quartz..

• Noelle D
    Original Author
    3 years ago

View when you walk in from mudroom, better angle

• Noelle D
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Don’t mind the messes! 3 little ones live here = lots of clutter

• Noelle D
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hope these angles help The Cooks Kitchen! 😀 and yes I need new stools too but that opened this whole rabbit hole 😂

• Noelle D
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The wall is floor to ceiling windows next to the table and into the family room...backsplash closeup

• lucky998877
    3 years ago

1st thing I would update is your ceiling texture. It's very distracting at least in the pictures.

• millworkman
    3 years ago

"Can you post a diagram of the layout?"

Scaled floor plan with the cabinets drawn in with windows and door opening included with all dimensions. is what she is looking for.

• Noelle D
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yikes, I’ll try..I’m no pro but I’ll see what I can come up with!

• eld6161
    3 years ago

Not sure why your layout is needed as you don’t want to do structural changes.

For me, I don’t like the counter with the cherry cabinets.

I would change the counter to a white quartz.and then address the backsplash

Personally, I don’t care for the long desk butted up against the counter in the dining area. But changes to that would also involve the floor.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    3 years ago

I don't really like the counter with cabinets, either. It doesn't look bad by any means, but I think you could do better. Update the backsplash, too.

That drywalled piece on the backside of the island is really jarring IMO -- can you cover it with a wood panel and stain it to closely match the cabinets? Or at least paint it a dark color so it sort of disappears visually.

And the ceiling. Definitely fix the ceiling.

• eld6161
    3 years ago

Some inspiration

You have a fabulous space.

• Noelle D
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I have lived here for 8 years and yes, have noticed all of the same things mentioned...(I did not build/pick out any of the surfaces/layout) The original owner did overdo it with countertops so I really don’t want to spend the money to replace this quartz. I don’t even want to know what that would cost 🤦‍♀️.. I did a quick sketch of dimensions, idk if that helps visualize the space.

• Noelle D
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Any thoughts on painting the cherry and leaving the countertops?

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    3 years ago

If you don't want to replace the counter (and really -- it doesn't look bad at all), then a change in backsplash and dealing what the drywalled side of the island will go a long way to update the space. And the ceiling.

• Noelle D
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The ceiling is like that throughout the whole house 😬 and it’s 4200 sq ft (counting lower level brings it to 6000 sq ft)..

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    3 years ago

Oh. Well, okay, it is what it is then. I would replace the counters before I painted the cherry, but I am partial to wood. Thinking about cost, though -- it may end up more cost effective to bite the bullet on the counter than paint the cabinets, from what I understand a quality paint job is $$$ with all those cabinets (I wish I had all those cabinets...)

• mcoledesign
    3 years ago

Try a blue or charcoal from the backsplash for the island color. the blue walls seem to cool and you have warm colors in the kitchen, Ben Moore- waters edge, mineral alloy or Santorini Blue may be options for the island and pull lighter color from the swatch you use on the island for the walls- but do all the walls not just one. Get a runner pulling out the colors in the kitchen to brighten things up. you have a lot of floor space. I agree about the drywall at the back of the cabinets a darker paint or something closer to the cabinet color will help it blend better.

• lucky998877
    3 years ago

Get a quote for the ceiling before you decide against it.

• Noelle D
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I’m not really against the cherry, I just would like to brighten up the kitchen between all the cabinets and the hardwood...I do want to get a few estimates on ideas to help me decide.. Idk 🤷‍♀️

• Noelle D
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I do a White Island with a cherry kitchen to brighten things up too. Any thoughts on that? And if I did a lighter updated backsplash?

• lucky998877
    3 years ago

You could update your can lights also. You have the old style that has the bulb sunken in. Get the flush LED cans (HD, orange box, 4 pack $35, adjustable to 5 different tones). They are very easy to switch by yourself, and provide a lot better light (I have mine at 4000k).

• Lindsay K
    3 years ago

So, I don’t mind the ceiling...I think it’s cool. Do you like it? The only thing I’d do, is repaint the green/blue color you’ve got in the eating area. I just sold a house with a kitchen that color though, and I’m probably unfairly biased against it. I had that color in my kitchen for 8 years, and by the end I was growing tired of it and it seemed like everyone had a room that color. I like the warm white you have on the wall of windows in your eating area. If you like the color though, don’t listen to me and keep it! I love your cabinets, love the floor, and from what I can see the living room looks very pretty.

How’s your lighting in the kitchen? The bulbs look like a warmer yellow light from what I can see. I like super bright lights in the kitchen.

• Noelle D
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you Lindsay and yes, I did paint that bluish color 8 years ago! The ceiling, sure I prefer it be flat but at this point not looking to change it. It’s more noticeable in the pictures than in person I think. I think of all the ideas, I’m most likely to paint the island cabinets white and add trim work to the back of it (the part that faces the fridge looks so cheap) and change the backsplash to brighten the area. The only issue with that is it has to not make my countertops look dated. I want something white/neutrals and simple/timeless...

• Lindsay K
    3 years ago

Yeah, that’s the challenge with the backsplash...I wonder if you could leave the backsplash, and paint the island a color from it...like a warm greige color? I can’t see the backsplash and counter closely enough to see if there’s a lighter color they share that could work for the island cabinetry. I bet that would make a big difference though.

• Noelle D
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Close up of Countertops...do you think it would look out of place if I painted that island white and added a thin sheet of wood with trim work to make it look more custom?

• Noelle D
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I like a backsplash along these lines, one color

• Boxerpal
    3 years ago

I love your backsplash option very pretty. I like the idea of a painted white island. I agree with others above updating to better brighter bulbs in your can lights. (Keep the ceilings, its just the way you took the photos) If the counter top has blue flexs maybe a navy island? Just a thought might not work. I used Santorini blue, I love this color but it can be very cloudy dark color.

And your little white dog is soooooooo cute.

Here is a wood kitchen with a white island.

Of course not the white counter your counter would be pretty instead.

Cherry Creek Country Club Project · More Info

21st Century Traditional Kitchen Remodel: North Wales, PA · More Info

Dark cabinets with white island in Laguna Niguel, CA · More Info

• Lindsay K
    3 years ago

I think a white backsplash and island would work with those tops!

• Noelle D
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Boxerpal-thanks for the ideas! The countertop does not have blue flecks..it’s black and just a bunch of neutrals..my current backsplash reminds me of the second pic and I think that White Island looks nice with those warmer tones ..I’ll have to show my husband these pictures because I think he’s the one who thinks cherry=outdated.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

Any possibility of simplifying that island shape? Do you have floor under the island?

Have you considered eliminating the texture on the ceiling? Once gone the light will better reflect in the kitchen.

• Noelle D
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I’m not sure Beverly, I don’t think there’s floor under it and I would hate to lose the cabinet space. The room has ample space for the angled shape so I’d probably keep it how it is. I did consider removing the texture when I moved in 8 years ago before we moved the furniture in. At this point, I think it would be a messy disaster. There are 11 windows between the kitchen and family room plus 2 skylights...it’s a bright space, maybe I didn't quite capture that on this gloomy day...

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

There is an electrical sanding wand that attaches to a ShopVac to catch the dust. Not perfect, but eliminating that textured ceiling could make a big difference.

Noelle D thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Noelle D
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ok, thanks!

• PRO
    Inside Out Staging and Design
    3 years ago

I think too white would be too cool for your kitchen. It looks like your walls are a softer off white. I’d go with a creamier color maybe pick one from the countertop. You could do the same with the backsplash. Someone mentioned a rug. Use that to tie the colors together. Pick accent colors from the countertop for other accessories as well to provide some pop- canisters, vases etc

• Noelle D
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Gotcha! Yes, I thought of that..I don’t want it to look to stark..white meaning some light shade 😂 thx!

• Fori
    3 years ago

I knew someone would mention the ceiling (which is perfectly normal and acceptable in many locations).

• Noelle D
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes, it’s all over the place here, not really something someone notices when they come in. I’ve actually had friends over from out of town who have complimented it! 😂