Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mlankala

Please help me with Walk In Closets design.....

mlankala
3 years ago

We have 2 WIC in the master, dimensions details attached. Please help with design ideas for the best use of space and also to feel like showroom :)

Is it possible to have an island in any one of these spaces....

Comments (20)

• David Cary
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

An island is not practical in either of these spaces. The long 6'8" hallway is unfortunate. It is really 6'1" or so (to the face of studs). That is too narrow to be comfortable for hanging clothes on opposite walls. I think that is especially true in a 30 foot long section. It would be wasted space with hanging on 1 wall and just doubles the length one needs to walk to find clothing. (This isn't helpful unless you can change dimensions of this space.)

There is zero chance that the awkward space will look like a showroom.

13x13 is really comfortable for an island. I think 12x13 works. You aren't even close.

• Elaine Kroeger
    3 years ago

Posters might be able to be more helpful if you posted a layout of that area of the house.

• acm
    3 years ago

a runway-length "walk-in" closet sounds nightmarish to me. is there really just one door at the bottom left, or are those little doors on the right?

• cpartist
    3 years ago

Poor layout for a walk in closet because as mentioned, you can only put hanging on one side. You can do hanging on one side and a 20" deep shoe/storage racks/drawers on the opposite side.

You have 6'8" and need 3' for walking space. That gives you only 3'8" left. Hanging clothes take up 2' leaving you with 1'8".

• chispa
    3 years ago

All that closet space "wasting" an outside wall ...

• mlankala
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thankyou all for your feedback. This is the available space and I understand the challenges of this space -:)

Hence the fun of design within these limitations...

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago

If construction has not started yet, post the plans and elevations and you may get some good comments, but remember . . .

WARNING: Posting your entire floor plan opens you up to facts you may not want to know, but should. Be prepared for suggestions that will make for a better design. Keep a thick skin, open mind, sense of humor, and a glass of wine within arms reach. You may not enjoy it, but everyone else will and you will be better off in the long run if you heed well the advice.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

I would like to see how these spaces relate to the bedroom and bathroom. I don’t have an issue with using the corners in a walking they can actuallu be used to great advantage. i alway s start walk in closet design with understanding what you need to put there. I have clients with 300 + pairs of shoes and those ar ehwere I start the design. So I guess my answer is I need more info. As you show the spaces there is no place for an island I see a huge long space where exactly are the 2 different spaces so maybe that plan showing where they are in the home might help.

• bpath
    3 years ago

This is a new house/addition? If that is the available space, perhaps the whole design needs to change. Are these two closets for a couple? What are your needs? Professional clothing, athletic clothing, party wear, daytime? How much in the way of shoes and accessories? What's the story on the windows? Why do you want an island? Would similar storage against the wall work just as well? Can you add a door to the (gasp) 30' space?

• kayozzy
    3 years ago

I think the options really depend on what kind of clothes you have and how many shoes! If it were my closet, (The long one). I'd have the first space as you walk in as my work clothes. I'd put my shoes on the left side walls, 1' deep shelving. In the bump out on the left, I'd put a dressing area perhaps with a place to sit, a full length mirror. Or, you could put mirrors at the very top on all three walls. The longest wall I'd use for clothes sorted by golf, outdoor, summer, etc.

• bpath
    3 years ago

I'd probably take the squarish walk in and leave the first part of the long one for DH, and the rest for other storage of luggage, travel gear, linens, pillows, tote bags, and so on.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago

The dimensions on the OP's plan is to the outside of the exterior wall to the centerline of the interior wall. So the 6'-8" dimension is about 5'-11 3/4" finished from face of drywall to face of drywall.

If a nice closet is to be had, I am afraid the house may need to be redesigned to meet your needs.

• kayozzy
    3 years ago

Thanks Mark, I didn't catch that. Shoes won't fit on the left, so I might make the whole bump out shoes and handbags with a small seat. Of course you would have different shelving and heights of hangers on the right wall to meet your needs.

bpath also has a good idea about storage. You could wall off some of the top section for storage with a mirrored door.

• MaryKat
    3 years ago

How did something like that even get designed? Is it a remodel with existing spaces getting changed? Looks like it is an outside wall too, from all those jogs. There go your windows you want in your bedroom! I would hate it. And I’m serious about that. Hate it.

• bpath
    3 years ago

If you used kayyozzy’s design, you could have hooks or racks on the bit of wall before the bump out, for robes, or for hanging accessories. The back portion, beyond the door, could hold purses! Dust-free, unsquashed by clothes.

• bluemarble
    3 years ago

Just some thoughts...

A storage bench for blankets and a place to sit and put on shoes, corner mirrors could be on hinges to get near 360 view, gallery wall of glam photos or family photos in your favorite outfits, and some lush curtains. Fun project.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago

It seems like the closets were afterthoughts and not planned for, and the larger closet takes up an extraordinary amount of exterior wall. Consider relooking at the closets and the spaces that surround them to come up with better working spaces.

• mlankala
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for some of the lovely options posted. The home is already built. So this is the space :) No worries there is lots of windows in the home including master bedroom and bathroom. This is above garage, hence the length.

The 6.8" would not be less than 6.5", I shall measure tomorrow and update.

Separate storage allocated for shoe closet, personal preference to have shoes setup separate & inside the home shoes are different than outside :). Luggage is probably the only storage planned for basement, more so now than before sadly.

Storage needs - Purses, jewelry, cloths all kinds - daily home and work, yoga, tennis, dressy & party etc.

I like kayozzy and bpath idea, at the entry to the left have a purse/jewelry narrow closet.

Just like kayozzy said, at the bump out there is dressing area planned with sconces ( there is a vanity area in the master bath).

Then there is that 8ish feet long deeper section with a window across, how best to use this space -

1) Should this be the dressing table area because of the depth and the window across for natural light...

2) Maybe a deeper under cabinets with counter. if possible some kind of pull out island... Then have upper cabinets come to the counter.

3) Maybe pantry like tall pull outs, I like this but this means it will all be closed.

I want to be able to see everything, out of sight out of mind :) Having said this given the narrowness of the space, is it ok to have glass door ( maybe a few mirror doors) or have no doors... Is closed storage a cleaner look...

I do like the idea of kayozzy for the 30' long wall to have of lengths of storage closets.

I also like bluemarble idea of mirrors and velvet curtains at the windows. Should there be seating with storage at the windows?

About material is generally used for closet, wood, UV or some kind of Acrylic (plywood and MDF), anyone has any thoughts on these materials please chime in, would appreciate it.

No worries Mark, bring it on, that is the idea to hear all of it...

• mlankala
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here is a plan with as accurately as I can measure :)

Lighting: 4 fixture, one at entry and 3 spread out on the long section. 2 sconces on the vanity wall.

This is a draft, please help me figure this out.... especially the island area, any ideas to make the best use of this space...