Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debikaseth

What kind of window treatments should I get for my living room?

debikaseth
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I recently painted my condo and now need to figure out window treatments. Currently I have blackout shades that roll down and I just took down some sheer curtains.

I have two dilemmas:

1. My sofa sectional blocks part of the window which I assume means I don’t have the option of curtains (or do I?)
  2. My dog loves looking out the window so any treatments such as shutters that block his access to the window during the day is out

Additionally the window looks out into the street so any treatment would need to have some sort of privacy feature for the evenings.

I am thinking I need two sets of shades / blinds side by side so I can leave the left half down and the right half partially up for my dog.

Additionally I want to avoid cords if possible.

I’m considering dual layer Roman shades (if so should I get white or natural look?) or zebra blinds (dual layer). Is it possible to combine Roman shades and blinds? Any other ideas?

Dimensions about 68” x 82”

Budget is about $200-300

Comments (18)

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

The fireplace crowds the window too, so I think drapes are out. For privacy and light control and to allow the dog to see outside, I would consider top down/bottom up blinds, shades or romans.

https://www.houzz.com/photos/query/top-down-bottom-up/nqrwns

• debikaseth
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ooh I didn’t even think about top down bottom up! Those look so cool and minimal.

• Donald
    3 years ago

Could do a Roman shade and a cafe curtain.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

Why do you need blackout at ? I would do solar shades in 10% cahrcola and let the dog and you enjoy the view and still control the UV and the heat. Because of the FP you will need a roman type shade to add for privacy IMO the top down, bottom up shades could work but in my experience if a dog is at the window they will need to be up most of the time so just get top down

debikaseth thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • debikaseth
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Patricia, just so Im understanding correctly, you mean both solar shades and Roman shades? Two separate or do these come combined?

• Keepthefaith MIGirl
    3 years ago

following. I think it was Patricia? who showed a picture of a combo like that before? I'm considering for my new build and would love to see it again

• HU-187528210
    3 years ago

I’d do a simple roller shade. Can you pull the couch out a tad and have the lamp in the corner. To offset the off center window. Otherwise maybe add a curtain rod ( on top of the roller shade) and have it all the way to the right side.

debikaseth thanked HU-187528210
  • debikaseth
    Original Author
    3 years ago

In hindsight I would have bought a smaller couch, at the time I was really into the idea of napping on a double chaise. Not in the budget to get a new one now but maybe in another year or two. I agree the lamp gets in the way, I just worry about losing space if I move the couch away from the wall but I can try to see if the loss of space is acceptable.

When I bought my place two years ago I did not do any research into what makes sense and looks good for the space, something I am trying to rectify today!

Back to searching on Wayfair and Amazon for window treatments but keep the ideas coming and please do post links to examples I can buy!

Is two shades side by side the way to go as opposed to one big shade?

• HU-187528210
    3 years ago

The couch isn’t bad. Don’t worry about that so much... one roller shade over both windows.
    I mean you can do two. I wouldn’t. You do you. What do you think would work better?
    Just neater to have one. And if you want light you will open both anyways...

• debikaseth
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The reason I am thinking two is because my dog loves to look outside from the right one. For the evenings when I want privacy I could then have the left shade down and the one on the right partially up.

Another reason is because maybe two shades so big is too heavy for daily use.

I wonder if moving the shades up and down daily is bad / making them wear too fast?

• Susan Davis
    3 years ago

remote control shades.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

You could also consider shutters for the windows

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

Rugs from Rugs-Direct.com

debikaseth thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • debikaseth
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Beverly, thank you for the sample renders! I lovveee the look of shutters, but I feel that for my dog I need the option to raise the shades up so he has access to look out the window. Also I think the shutters might limit some of the light coming into the space.

Definitely will get a similarly sized rug as in your render, and Im also looking into large mirrors for the fireplace! I also like the light affixed to the wall which saves floor space.

As for window treatments, I am now leaning towards the top down bottom up someone else suggested. I noticed there’s a day / night type— anyone recommend that? Is there a certain brand that’s better but doesn’t break the bank? Any brands or type that offer more privacy or without having to get blackout?

Should I get them in white?

https://www.selectblinds.com/cellularshades/cordless-top-down-bottom-up-cellular-shades.html

https://www.homedepot.com/c/ab/top-down-bottom-up-shades/9ba683603be9fa5395fab904b9811f0

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

I understand about the pooch having their unobstructed view. Very important!!!

• debikaseth
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi All, I just got my 2” Select Blinds “trishades” installed today. They are top down bottom up shades with a sort of day/night feature.

• debikaseth
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oh and if anyone is interested the two blinds cost about $500 total and had to pay a handyman $110 to install them.