anisha_chandyeckardt

Living Room ReVamp

Nish CE

I have a 6 month old, a messy husband and VERY messy in laws- despite my constant efforts to try and clean everything (this is the result after 2 hours- when I spent almost all day cleaning it out)

This is our "Bonus" room- I want to turn it into another seating area. Except for the chaise and black bookshelves, everything else needs to stay since the family is attached to them. Could you please give me some ideas of placements?

I like the idea of cozy traditional- with blue and greys (and orange as a warm accent if needed)

(also, I need to add a sofa bed to this room since we just converted our guest room to a nursery)

• Susanne Woolley

It’s really hard being the one cleaning up behind the human mess-making machines. I applaud you for having the energy and enthusiasm to take on some decorating with a six month old. I’m sure you’ll enjoy it when it’s finished!

Could you move the rug so that one long side is under the front edge of the chaise, possibly lining that end of the rug up with the right side of the door opening? It might steer traffic to in front of the bookshelves.

I like your color ideas!

Nish CE thanked Susanne Woolley
  • loobab

First, please you and your husband go through all your books and go through what can be discarded/donated.

Yes, I am a book hoarder too.

Yes, our books somehow represent our past, and our educational background, and the stages of life we have gone through, blah, blah.

But you simply do not have space for all those books. And pretty soon, you will need to be be getting books for your child, too!

You probably can get rid of half of your books.

A novel read can be discarded. I f you want to read it again you can get it out of the library.

Old textbooks? When was the last time you referred to it? And if you did, wasn't it something you could have looked up on the internet?

Be rigorous about pruning!!

And then,

I think you need to think creatively about the storage of your things and your place will feel less cluttered.

For example, that long black bookshelf system doesn't make sense.

You need to think vertically for storage and shelving, so every inch of space and every inch of wall space is not taken up.

Boots belong in a closet, or in some kind of unit at the door for shoes.

What is all that stuff against the wall to the left of the black bookcase?

Move it, get rid of it, it is clutter.

The car seat belongs in the car.

When the other person is going to drive the baby it can be moved to the other person's car.

What is the stuff on the floor to the left and right of the dresser under the window? find a home for it or throw it out.

The living room is for conversation which is not enhanced by all the chairs lined up on one wall.

Some should be facing each other, so I suggest getting rid of that low black shelf unit.

I don't have a tape measure, but I think your art work is hung too high. The middle should be around 5 feet from the floor. None of it should be in bubble wrap on the floor or rolled up in a cardboard tube.

As far as furniture, you say the family is attached to some things.

the only opinions that matter are yours and your husbands.

Your in-laws don't live there, do they?

Unless your in-laws pay your rent or mortgage, they have no say in what furniture you keep.

If they gave you some pieces they are attached too and don't want want you to discard, if you don't want the pieces now, return them. If the family says they don't have the room for them, that's not your problem. Your family can put them in their garage. That is no reason for your house to look like a cluttered mess because they don't want their house to look like a cluttered mess!

You need to seriously de-clutter before thinking about new furniture.

Although a sofa bed and two chairs is a good idea for a living room.

But buy NOTHING until you do serious decluttering.

And train your husband and maybe yourself, the living room is not a drop station for briefcases, either.

Nish CE thanked loobab

Need help on how to re-vamp an out of date large ottoman.

The perfect fit of the ottoman to the sofa appeals to my OCD sensibilities. Break up the landscape of leather with a throw, pillows and accessories. The suggestions to change the ottoman fabric are great. A large framed mirror or ready made frame customized on the cheap with wallpaper inside can be converted to a tray with the addition of handles.

Ideas for re-vamping white painted brick fireplace surround?

Use backsplash tiles - glass or ceramic for more modern look, travertine or some sort of stone for more traditional/transitional look. Lots of varieties at the big box stores that won't break the bank & really easy to work with.

Living room/Dining room What to with formal living room? wasted room

We switched out our large unused formal living room and made that our dining room... formal table and China hitch with Buffett and then took the smaller square dining room off the kitchen and made that a small tv room. We put a flat screen on the wall and got a small leather sectional with a large ottoman. It gave us more elbow room in my now larger dining room and we could actually put the table leaf in and seat 8. The kids loved the cozy tv room. Street side you looked in and saw a beautiful table and China cabinet and gave us more privacy in our tv area. We don't live there any more or I'd post pictures!

Living Room/Dining Room Layout- Ideas needed for blank-ish slate

Thanks! Kerry- I also really like the idea of something sleeker, and completely see what you mean about the size of these ones. Unfortunately for now, I think these are the ones we'll be using as they're being given to us our budget at this time doesn't really allow for buying something different. I think their size might be why I'm having a hard time picturing the room. I like layouts where the couch could be used as a natural divider between the living and dining space like in this first layout, but unless there's a way I could use the chair to do so, I will have to look at a different idea. Also with only the one entry way to the room it might cut off traffic flow too much to use that layout?
  • Nish CE

Thank you Susanne I will definitely start with that!

• Nish CE

Hi Loobab! I love your inputs thank you!!

I am going to do a hard clean of all of those books and only keep the bare minimum. That bookshelf is also going to go since it doesnt blend with the rest of the room

The stuff to the rest and right of the dresser are (again)my husbands things- I'm going to put them in his office tonight, the thing between the dresser and the carseats is the cat tree which our cats adore and use.

The inlaws do contribute to rent so i am hesitant to move stuff. Plus the bookshelves and dresser are quite packed since, while this house is lovely, it has almost no storage space.

• loobab

Well, even if they do contribute to rent, it still doesn't mean they get to run your life.

After you finish de-cluttering, if any of their furniture really doesn't suit, tell them so, (correction, let your husband tell them) and bring it back to them.

You don't run a furniture storehouse.

They should want their son to live in a lovely, restful home.

If your husband doesn't have the stones to tell them, then you will have to tell them yourself.

Remember, it isn't only about you, it is about your baby.

You want your baby to live in a safe, clear, uncluttered, restful environment.

And your home is far, far from childproof in addition, you need to think about that now, too!

Lay on your stomach on the floor as if you were a baby and see what you can see and grab and put in your mouth.

Move anything that isn't safe to put in the mouth.

Don't wait until you see the baby do it. It might be too late then.

Don't think, when I was a kid nobody baby-proofed anything.

When you were a kid, kids got poisoned and electrocuted.

They still do.

Nish CE thanked loobab
  • Nish CE

Thank you so much! Honestly I dont hate the furniture, the things i do dislike i have given away or will be (like that black bookshelf). We have been going through all our rooms to see what to prepare for!

I actually just took out a lot of unnecessary things from that room and am going to post it on FB free marketplace to give away- that should open it up a lot more to have a better idea how to decorate more after that!

• loobab

https://www.freecycle.org/ is also a great place to post stuff you want to give away.

• felizlady

loofah has the right idea.
    Your first consideration is the safety of your child, who will soon be scooting everywhere and touching everything unless you have a playpen or a small breakfast area you can block off as a play area. With messy in-laws, your child might be safer in a playpen for another six months. (My kids were in the playpen with some toys for most of the first year unless I was able to just hang out with them on the loose for a while.). Then Baby will be exploring some of the time. You don’t want anything that Baby can pull down on h/self, so no tall bookcases in the space Baby will be free to roam, no table lamps on lightweight side tables or with wires hanging within reach. No outlets without outlet covers. No glass objects or breakables. No things with straps. Baby will reach and Baby will climb sooner than you think.
    In your home, you may control what things will be allowed in the Baby zone. “Mom, please put your purse in the kitchen. Dad, please hang your jacket in the hall closet. Please don’t leave your dish or drink glass in the living room. Honey, don’t empty your pockets on the coffee table.” If the in-laws live with you, that will be a problem. Stand your ground. You are your child’s protector.

Nish CE thanked felizlady
  • felizlady

Sorry, loobab.....stupid spellcheck!

• loobab

Oh, please tell me your in-laws don't live with you!

Nish CE thanked loobab
  • everdebz

Hi. If you will store some toys in this room, low baskets might fit in the black units. Maybe a cushion on it if it's sturdy.

• everdebz

They have to sleep somewhere... what size is best? this is W 83" / D 33.5" / H 32.5"

Novogratz Tallulah Memory Foam Futon, Blue · More Info

• everdebz

W 66" / D 30" / H 30.5"

Modern Convertible Folding Futon Sofa Bed - Linen Upholstered - Metal Legs, Grey · More Info

• everdebz

W 51" / D 29" / H 31"

Phillip Sleeper Futon Sofa, Gray · More Info

Nish CE thanked everdebz
  • everdebz

Washable covers -

Zipline Convertible Sleeper Loveseat With 2 Ottomans, 3-Piece Set, Marine · More Info

• Nish CE

thank you felizlady! We are actually going to go with a playpen anyways since it was a gift from my dad. We haven't decided if our little one is going to play in this room or in the separate living room.

My husband has babyproofed the place- sockets wise but we do need to remove the hazard things that can fall now!

• Nish CE

hi loobab- that link is so helpful thank you!

No they don't live with us, not permanently anyways. My husband and I both WFH full time and this is their first grandchild so they come to help us look after him/avoid daycare/pitch in financially. They mean well and are lovely people... but they are just messy.

• Nish CE

Hi everdebz! Thank you so much! i need to get something more comfortable since the inlaws, and my dad both have bad backs. We had one of the futons and it did not go well. This was something I had in mind for them. What do you think? Will the color work?

https://www.ashleyfurniture.com/p/calion_queen_sofa_sleeper/2070239.html?cgid=sleeper-sofas#start=2

• Kathy Furt

Please don’t ever use a playpen. There isn’t a pediatrician on the planet that would recommend putting infants in one for the first year of their life. You don’t get this time back!! Organize your home so a baby would feel free to crawl anywhere! This isn’t the 1950’s!

• everdebz

Futon not enough support? maybe the other fold-open such as Klik Klak are a 'no' also.

From your link: bi-fold queen memory foam mattress sits atop a supportive steel frame.

Our sleeper's support bar could be felt - so we topped the mattress with memory foam pad which helped. Yours has memory foam MATTress, all the better.

• apple_pie_order

Time to reframe the situation: This room is 100% baby territory. This room is wide open with two doorways and no doors. The baby is going to start running in here very soon.

The parents' first job is to empty it of *everything* you don't want the baby to pick up, eat, climb on, or rip the pages out of. The fastest way to do this is to take everything out, then put back only what stays. Then you can add a sofabed, a closed-door wardrobe with child proof latch bolted to the wall for guest clothes, doorway curtains on sturdy rods, baby gates, and storage for toys. Get the inlaws a $20 lockable "cash box" for their medicines to keep the baby out.

Others have suggested ways to get the three other adults to take responsibility for their actions and to send the inlaws' furniture back to them.

• Nish CE

thank you everdebz! Im going to start looking into them!! (plus we all love memory foam in our home haha)

• Nish CE

Thank you Kathy, I will consider that!

• Nish CE

Thank you Apple_pie_order!

I don't hate the furniture but we are definitely going to be anchoring anything that stays in that room. the chaise and black bookshelf are going to go and will get a sofa bed.

I love the idea of a cashbox! thank you!!!

When i remove the chaise and black bookcase- which wall do you think I should

put the sofabed up against?

• Kathy Furt

By 3 their brains are done. So if you want your child spending that time behind bars instead of exploring and learning everything he/she can...I took ECE in college, and have raised 2 college graduates gainfully employed and in their own

• loobab

Oh for goodness sake, playpens don't have bars, they have soft netting.

And books are childproof, but I didn't want my child chewing on mine while I used the bathroom or cooked a meal.

"There isn’t a pediatrician on the planet that would recommend putting infants in one for the first year of their life."

"Their brains are done by 3."

Please, Show us the data.

Can you produce a recent bulletin (not from the 50's) from the American Academy of Pediatrics or a peer-reviewed medical journal that says playpens (that pass safety tests) should not be used?

Can you produce any study published in a peer-reviewed medical journal that says the human brain is "done" by age 3?

Or is this just unsubstantiated blather?

Nish CE thanked loobab
  • ILoveMod

so, regarding the sleeper sofa: they're very uncomfortable. and not in a "nah, it'll be fine for a copule of days" ..... more like: "how much do you want your guests to hate you?" type of situation. when we bought our first house, we went to a decent furniture store and asked them for their premium, most comfortable fold out sofa. we paid through the nose for it, including an upgraded gel-topped mattress, and it's still just as uncomfortable as the lousy 70s version my parents had. we're planning to eat the cost and get a new sofa, it's that bad.

what we're looking at now is a "trundle" style sleeper sofa, where each section is basically a narrow bed. (I think that with many of these, you sleep "sideways" on them. so the head is near the armrest.)

full disclosure: I don't have one yet, so others may jump in with reasons why the trundle style is bad in it's own ways, but I just wanted to pass that info on.

this one is the Bedford from Crate & Barrel:

since this is not your main living room, an even more comfortable idea is to put a trundle daybed in there instead. it will provide the most space for your guests, and they're real beds with real mattresses. there are some that look a lot like sofas (this one from West Elm):

I posted a couple of expensive brands here, but you can find these at other stores too, of course.

Nish CE thanked ILoveMod
  • loobab

ILoveMod- If the sleepover guests are going to be the in-laws, maybe it is good that the accomodations won't be that comfortable!!

• Nish CE

ILoveMod- these are brilliant thank you- the first one is beautiful!

• Nish CE

Kathy thank you but I respectfully disagree with your opinions on playpens. Also, I am not here to ask about my child's freedom of movement since you do not know what the rest of our house looks like.

• Nish CE

Loobab- thank you, I like my playpens and my son loves them as well!

• loobab

Yes, I even let my husband out of his once in a while when he was especially well-behaved!! :)

Trundle beds that are on springs that pull out from under the main bed and pop up to the same height are great for children's rooms for friends that sleep over.

Nish CE thanked loobab
  • Kathy Furt

Here’s something

• Kathy Furt

I know a cluttered, crowded mess when I see one....

• decoenthusiaste

Husband's office is where I'd want those two barrister bookcases. Can both of the gray chairs with blond legs go to the dining room? Can the blue corner chair go to your bedroom or the nursery to make a cozy reading corner? Please post more pix once you've de-cluttered and some of the items you're selling or giving away are gone. I would plan for a sofa on the longest wall and one or two armchairs, depending on how many you need to seat here. A round, storage hassock can serve as toy storage and a coffee table. When entertaining, top it with a tray to hold people's drinks, etc. I see nothing wrong with having a Pack 'n' Play available to use in this room.

Nish CE thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Nish CE

decoenthusiaste consider the grey chairs gone :D I can move the corner chair into our room!

I'll clean out and give away the black bookcase and post another picture :)

• loobab

Of course the first five years of a baby's live is critical for their development.

But to say "their brains are done by three" is factually wrong and belies the wondrous neuroplasticity that children are blessed with.

Nish CE thanked loobab
  • Kathy Furt

Ha ha ha

• Susan Davis

I commend your in-laws for helping out and for you letting them have a wonderful bonding time with your son......that said you mentioned that you might consider the living room for the baby play area......which is a great idea. Then the room would be only for baby play toys/stuff, which for the next year or so would consist of things just for baby, that can be stored away when baby is sleeping and or napping while also an entertainment room for guests.

Then the above room can be treated as an adult area......which could be a very nice guest room with a regular bed night stands and a dresser and wall hooks for the Grandparents.

And it could be an even better if you would put forth the idea that the Grandparents could buy the mattress they love and the bedding for the room in a style that looks finished and not like a bed until it needs to be a bed with the toss of a duvet when time for sleeping. No headboard, footboard, stuff to take up room, just a simple mattress on a frame that is comfortable for them......

This is a full/queen mattress below with a lounge type cover on it, but it could be a fitted sheet with a duvet set used as a blanket for quick easy comfortable sleeping or napping when the Grand parents are helping out....it would be there own room that by day has their things away from baby, but if they need a nap they can have it and if they need to sleep over that is available too.

Grandparents need a comfy bed that is easily gotten into and easily made and I bet they would foot the bill to make the room theirs! And if it is easily made up all the time even better.

Lounge style

My Houzz: Full-Tilt Reinvention for a 1950s Ranch · More Info

Corner bed below you could make frame yourself

Custom Bed · More Info

Upholstered in vinyl bed always made u

West Hollywood Residence · More Info

wall storage galore,free floating bed easily gotten into and easily made and lounged on.....

Upper West Side NY Condo · More Info

Just some thoughts.....

Nish CE thanked Susan Davis
  • Nish CE

oh goodness these are so beautiful, thank you!!

And thank you for that advice, my inlaws have gone out of their way and then some to help our little family and I am excited to have them back and to make this place comfortable for them. This room will work in the long run as well since both of them have knee/hip replacements and the guest room is upstairs.

I will show these to them and see what they say :)

• loobab

Last comment on playpens so as not to divert the thread-

Who said anything about leaving the baby in a playpen for hours on end?

Who said anything about leaving the baby in the playpen with nothing to play with or with which to stimulate it?

Talk about reductio ad absurdum!

Nish CE thanked loobab
  • Nish CE

loobab you are fine dont worry- and thank you :D

• Nish CE

Hi Alice these are beautiful! I am going to look into them and speak to my husband as well, thank you!

• ILoveMod

Nish CE: Alice Gallery is a spammer, BTW. they had a different profile that was recently taken down (I recognize the name). they don't even make personalized comments, they just copy and paste the same ad in different threads. I'd be seriously cautious about trying to purchase anything from them.

Nish CE thanked ILoveMod
  • Nish CE

Hi ILoveMod- i had a feeling when the website matched the name and they talking about shipping lol. I thanked them nonetheless in case I was mistaken :D