nhbabs

Show Us Your Landscape/Gardens - A Photo Thread - March 2021

NHBabs z4b-5a NH

Welcome to the New England Gardening "Show Us Your Gardens" Photo Thread.

This is a place to post photos, and to discuss, what is in your New England garden. This is the thread for March 2021, so we will be seeing flowers in this thread along with continued landscape, windowsill, seedstarting and other garden related photos. All New England garden photos are welcome. If the photo was taken in New England, in the month of March, feel free to post it here.

Here are links for the last two years’ threads:

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5885312/show-us-your-landscape-gardens-a-photo-thread-march-2020#n=19

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5631417/show-us-your-landscape-gardens-a-photo-thread-march-2019#n=51

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH

One of the things I love about where I live is that I can often see fronts as they move in; this afternoon it is a cold front roaring in with gusty winds that caused the sky to change from a dense overcast to puffy cumulus , blue sky, and chilly temperature in just a few minutes.

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b

I can't capture 40 mph winds easily on the water, but the water was active tonight. While I'm at the office I get home past peak sunset, but I got to see a wee little today. Perhaps I can leave a little earlier now as I train people, and the sun is cooperating by extending sunset a minute or two each day. :-D

NHBabs z4b-5a NH thanked deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b

The Houzz TV Thread Runaway MOVED

Interesting. Open pit mining. We have them here in Arizona but not coal. Copper ones, but they are on the decline. And strip mining is the worst. Lots of those here and in the coal mines in other states. There is an abundance of coal in this country but not many ways to use it cleanly or without tearing sides of mountains down. Lots of drama in those states.

Describe your yard in one word.

Tumbleweeds In the twenty years I have lived here they have never been this bad. I can't focus on anything else because I have to keep dealing with them.

HGTV please bring back the decorating shows!!

I think that PBS should look into providing actual decorating shows (not shows about renovation/remodeling, or buying/selling real estate, and not contests between decorators) that help average people with average (modest) budgets learn to decorate their homes themselves, like the early days of HGTV. Just like PBS's cooking shows have not morphed into contests/competitions, or travel shows, or restaurant/chef reviews, but have actually remained focused on actual cooking in the kitchen... I think PBS is the perfect choice for getting back to fundamentals for people who only have a couple hundred bucks to spend but still want to create beautiful spaces.

Landscaping

It looks wonderful! I'd look for a color like burnt caramel for your front door or maybe a rusty orange. The iron grilles being gone open up the house and make it so much more inviting. I'd leave the wood around the door the same color as the trim so the door stands out. If it's possible to relocate your downspout so it runs down the corner of the entry, I think it would help a lot. Looking at your plant layout, I might suggest moving the topiary that's to the left of the entrance to the center between the two windows and the arborvitae to the far left corner. If it's not yet planted, the topiary to the right of the door would look great directly under your porch light. Once everything is in the ground, it's going to be awesome. The addition of a small bench or planter full of flowers along with some perennials and annuals for color will make the house shine. I painted your door to give you some colors to ponder. All Benjamin Moore. Copper ClayBronze ToneBurnt Caramel Pumpkin Pie
  • claireplymouth z6b coastal MA

So pretty, NHBabs and deanna! Wind and water and clouds are a great combination.

On a smaller level, my Arnold Promise witch hazel is blooming! It's in considerable shade so it's growing as an understory plant and not a dazzling specimen as it would be in full sun. I still love it.

Claire

NHBabs z4b-5a NH thanked claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
  • prairiemoon2 z6b MA

I love Witch Hazel, Claire! I don't have one so I enjoy yours.

Love the photos of the sky and the water. Babs, Clouds are such a great subject for photos. They change every day. I always enjoy your photos of the sky there out in the open. I'm sure I've said so before but too many trees around here to see much of the sky.

I did get outside today. It was warmer and sunnier. I managed to prune some late flowering Clematis in a little sheltered corner it was warm enough to take off my jacket and get some sun on my arms.

Everything is an ugly brown in the yard and nothing interesting to take a photo of, so I just took a photo of my winter sown containers....

NHBabs z4b-5a NH thanked prairiemoon2 z6b MA
  • brdrl

Zone 7A SW CT I am only seeing Hellebore and Snowdrops starting to come out after the heavy snow melt. I am excited to plan a new native pollinator garden in our front yard this year and just ordered quite a few plugs to be picked up in May. Spring 2021 Plant Sale Summary Page — Aspetuck Land Trust for those local or don't mind a drive to Westport, CT for pickup. And I ordered this cute sign through the Pollinator-Pathway initiative so neighbors don't think I'm just going to the weeds!

Claireplymouth - I may have to add a witch hazel tree, those blooms are so pretty.

NHBabs z4b-5a NH thanked brdrl
  • NHBabs z4b-5a NH

One of the things that keeps me posting this thread is the spring photos of those of you in warmer parts of New England. It is so nice to see plants sprouting when I still have frozen soil and 6” of snow in many areas, though ground is emerging in the sunniest spots.

I can’t grow the Asian witchhazels here in the frozen north, but I do have the spring blooming SE US witch hazel, Hamamelis vernalis. After Claire’s photo of her Arnold Promise I went down and checked it, but the buds are showing no sign that it is spring.

Right now we just have crusty, messy snow, so no new photos yet.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH

PM2, that is quite a collection of winter sown plants! Do you plant them all or are some for other people?

This mossy stump left from logging about 25 years ago was lit by a shaft of sunlight that caught my attention from quite a distance. So nice seeing something bright green!

The stretch of stream in the photos below has had a number of trees that have fallen over the last couple of years due to bank erosion and high winds. Water splashed up to form beautifully shaped ice much different from traditional icicles that form from the top down, almost like lamp worked-glass ornaments.

And the big Norway spruce out in the field behind the house gives proof that the sun is growing stronger as spring is approaching, with snow melted away on all but the north side. In winter, the snow remains on all sides.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA

Hi Babs....nice photos today....love that close up of the way the ice formed. It really does look like hand blown glass. And that Spruce is so pretty. Look at all the cones on it. Do you ever irrigate it or is it on it's own? My neighbor installed Spruce trees years ago, then sold the house to someone who never steps foot in their yard. The spruce trees were too close together to start with and too close to a mature Sycamore, and then they never watered them ever, so they look pretty pathetic at this point. I was just noticing how many more dead branches are on them this morning. And a few years ago, wild grapes started climbing the Spruce trees and they grew about 2/3 of the way up the tree, which they don't seem to notice. All the places where the foliage covered the tree, now have a lot of bare branches. We tried to grab some of the vine from our side of it and pull it off last year, but it didn't help all that much.

So, you are VERY fortunate to have such a lovely Spruce tree!!

My Winter sown containers, that's about it - 17 containers. Last time I winter sowed was in 2011 which I didn't do more than 30 probably, in 2006 I had to have over 100 containers, which still seems like a small amount in comparison to some people who really get invested in winter sowing. If you have a big property it can really help you out to grow that way. But planting out 100 containers was quite a job! I hope I get a lot of sprouts, yes, I'll plant them all out.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH

PM2, I really like that spruce which is midway between the back of the house and the river, and so is a good focal point back there. It was planted by the PO, so is perhaps 30-35 years old since it was small in 1998, and we do nothing for it other than trim out small trees that the birds plant under it. The water table is fairly shallow back there and so I think it gets enough natural moisture. It looks happy and healthy to me, though I don’t know how long Norway spruce live.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH

This morning Flax and I went down onto the stream floodplain in an area that does flood after heavy rains. In winter the snow is often really deep, so we don’t get down there as often as on higher ground. Usually we walk along the top of this bank.

but today we walked down a shallower part of the bank and wandered along the flat area just a few feet above the normal stream level, mostly guided by Flax following deer tracks.

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA

Lovely wintry scenes, NHBabs - so peaceful.

The season is slowly changing here in southeast MA. This morning I bushwhacked past a leaning rose (very grabby rose) to check on the status of a spot where I get the first crocuses. This spot faces south on the bayside and is protected by the house and some shrubs.

Sure enough, the crocuses are blooming!!!!

Crocus tommasinianus 'Roseus'

Spring is waking up.

Claire

• corunum z6 CT

All it needed was sun, I guess. Arnold Promise hamamelis. In my photo "Trees" file, I saw that it was at this stage of bloom 2/22/2019. So, it's running roughly 3 weeks behind what it was two years ago. Then again, so am I. :)

02/22/2019 below

And, pinus sylvestris aurea (below) is glowing his little golden heart out. Come summer, he'll be dark green.

Jane

P.S. If anyone is interested, Connecticut is the . . . WITCH HAZEL CAPITAL

NHBabs z4b-5a NH thanked corunum z6 CT
  • NHBabs z4b-5a NH

Witch hazel, snowdrops, early crocus - I love it all. Nothing blooming here yet. Jane, that pine is stunning!

The stream has quite a bit more free flowing water now after a few days where it has been almost entirely above freezing. It won’t last, but it has been beautiful and warm here for the last three days.

• corunum z6 CT

NHBabs, I can't find the post about your hemlock tree, but while looking through my tree photo file for the Arnold Promise previous bloom time, I found the maple I referenced when talking about a borer. I had sent the pictures of my felled swamp maple to UCONN Hort and they confirmed it had become increasing leafless because of a 'nameless' borer - no bug body was found, just their damaging trails inside the tree. The tree had no bark indication of sickness at all. It just failed to thrive.

Jane

NHBabs z4b-5a NH thanked corunum z6 CT
  • NHBabs z4b-5a NH

Jane, I posted about the woodpeckers and my hemlocks on Claire’s critters thread because I so rarely have actual animal photos, but often have evidence of animal photos. So I contribute what little I can.

But your maple did look unhappy. It looks like what woodworkers refer to as ambrosia maple, with those dark radial streaks caused by fungus. We often found it in either red maple or silver maple, and sometimes there were actual bug holes, though they were quite small compared to the area with the ambrosia pattern. Makes for beautiful bowls, but not happy yard tree specimens.

• corunum z6 CT

Oh, Sue W ! That's a beautiful little iris! Irises rank high on my list of favorite flowers. I have nothing to show in my gardens, but have hope (which is Spring is all about, I think) that these nasturtium seeds will grow. Soaking them now to plant tomorrow. Few nearby nurseries sell nasturtiums and the hummers love them, so I soak the seeds of hope.

Jane

NHBabs z4b-5a NH thanked corunum z6 CT
  • jackbe1

Hellebore Pink Frost Blooming in my Mid March 2021 Garden Zone 6b Garden

NHBabs z4b-5a NH thanked jackbe1
  • prairiemoon2 z6b MA

That's a very pretty 'Pink Frost' and such a big patch of it too!

Nice Iris too, Sue! Very delicate looking with nice markings.

Going to try some nasturtiums this year too.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT

That hellebore is lovely. Mine are in bloom too, but they are a NOID hellebore, and the blooms are a quite dark purple. It's nice, and to me at least a bit different, but from a distance it's hard to see the flowers. They don't pop against the foliage. I'm going to have to look into some lighter blooms for sure!

:)
    Dee

NHBabs z4b-5a NH thanked diggerdee zone 6 CT
  • prairiemoon2 z6b MA

Dee, I put my dark one near the foundation of my house, so the background is either cement or the cream siding depending on what angle you are viewing it from. I've also seen the darker flowers planted among the light flowers and that looks nice too.

these crocus survived the recent deep freeze and look nice. The real surprise is the top photo. It is wall rockcress, which is not a bulb. I was shocked to see color this early! I wonder if the stones around it created enough warmth to spark blooms earlier than normal. I very much enjoy all your pictures. I will plant my first hazels this year In hopes of more early blooms in the future.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA

LOVE the color of that rockcress, Deanna. That's a different plant to see blooming this time of year. Do you have clay soil or sandy soil?

The native soil here is clay. Both my experience and state geological surveys. At least, what is not either granite or builders' fill is clay! These plants are in garden soil, mix of loam, compost, and peat. The plant is Little Treasure Deep Rose wall rock cress, and they are living up to their name so far! We will have some temps in the low 20s soon. I'll be watching to see if they survive. I may chicken out and protect them to avoid the risk!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA

I would definitely protect them Deanna, that's too nice a plant to take a chance. We're due for high 20s, and even that seems like a problem for a lot of plants.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA

28 degrees on my back porch this morning.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH

Hazelnut shrubs are blooming along the wood edges, with the tiny pink part the female bloom and the catkins carrying the pollen.

Difficult to photograph, but these silver maples along the river have flowers catching the sun.

Although I haven’t replanted I several years so my earliest bulbs are sparse, I do have a few reticulated Iris and crocuses.

The field view is stark right now.

The dog is happy with the manure waiting to be spread! (This is the same view of the field, but taken from opposite viewpoints with my house in the distance.)

Sunrise last week.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA

Look @ that happy dog! lol

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA

I thought someone started an April thread, I don't see it? I wanted to say that it is 20F on my back porch this morning. Does anyone else find that shocking? It's still dark out, but I'm afraid to go out and look at what the garden has to look like. Anyone else having temperatures that low this morning?

I just went out and checked again, to make sure I was seeing it right. Still 20F. I looked at the forecast and right now it's supposed to be 26F. I just checked out 2 more different forecasts. One that is embedded in the top of my search engine is reporting that it is 27F in my town right now. But the National Weather Service reports it at 23F so at least they are close, but what does that say about my property? Am I in some microclimate?

I planned on working outside early and digging a bed out and some other things. Is the ground going to be frozen? I'm thinking I might get a later start than I planned. I'm feeling bad that I didn't cover anything or bring in my winter sown containers which would have been easy, but I haven't thought it was going to get more than a couple of degrees lower than freezing.

• nekobus

22 here, and and while I’m mostly no longer shocked by spring temperature shifts, I am disgruntled :)

Oh, and I saw my first groundhog of the season yesterday, so a bit of a double whammy.

NHBabs z4b-5a NH thanked nekobus
  • prairiemoon2 z6b MA

Disgruntled is putting it mildly, lol. My sympathies Nekobus, while we discovered a rabbit nest with 5 baby bunnies in one of our raised vegetable beds, I wouldn't trade that for one woodchuck. I hope you are able to figure out how to keep him from wrecking your garden.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA

I just checked @ 7:45a and it's almost to 32F now. That's pretty fast.

Wow! 20! We haven't gotten close to that here. I know I am in a warm microclimate, and I am glad. I'm always a couple degrees warmer than the weather prediction, which allows me to be lazy, thankfully. :-D

NHBabs, love seeing Flax look so happy!

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH

April thread has been started now. My internet, never great, has had particular issues with the increased traffic due to schooling and working on line. Some days I cannot get on at all.