Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_919977779

Vaulted kitchen ceiling pendant lights over island

cate erickson
3 years ago

I'm in the process of redoing my kitchen from the ground up. We have 12ft vaulted ceilings in the kitchen with the peak of the ceiling running vertically across the middle of the island. The island runs horizontal along a wall of windows. The island is 105" long and about 48" deep. My question is how large should the pendant lights be? I was thinking of doing 2 larger ones or 3 medium sized ones, but I'm not sure. I'm also not sure if I need to find lights that are specifically made to be mounted on a vaulted ceiling (i.e on the side of the peak). Please help! Attached are a few pictures for reference, however they do not reflect the vaulted ceiling.

Comments (11)

• Tina Davis
    3 years ago

From the photos, looks like there aren't any windows running along the vault- as I would say place them eye vertical to windows. Being that its about a 9' island, and depending on your style makes a huge difference... I personally lean towards contemporary and soft so I think it would look great with three pendant lighting in glass (smaller) or I would do two medium pendants. I am not sure I would do large based on the size of the island but its all in perspective on what large is.... We are building a home at the moment but in our home now, we have a 9 ft island that runs similar to yours and we did two medium glass with three bulbs in each fixture (medium being Hundi PB lighting with 3 lights). We use them ALOT... Too much fixtures takes away from the view... So it depends on what you are looking at in kitchen and the look you are going for. I hope that helps you some!

• cate erickson
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Tina Davis Thank you! That's what I was thinking as well, possibly 2 larger clear glass lights or 3 medium glass lights so I don't kill the sight lines.

• dan1888
    3 years ago

For me the sight lines are much more important than the accessorizing from pendants. I'd use led cans with enough spot not flood power to create 450 lumens at the counter work space. Enough fixtures to be able to fully light the island on dimmers. Link to one example. Halo, Lightolier and other can be part of your work zone and ambient lighting plan. Fixtures can link together and controlled from your phone.

• cate erickson
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@dan1888 Thank you! We have a full ceiling of recessed lighting. The island lights will be more for ambient lighting/style then for lighting the workspace

• dan1888
    3 years ago

Excellent. For your space and view I would forego hanging lights. The spacious feeling is something I'd value as unique.

• cate erickson
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@dan1888 Yes, I was toying around with the thought of not doing any pendants at all due to the size of the room to keep it open. I will maybe wait until the last possible minute to decide once everything is almost done being installed. Thank you for your thoughts!

• Tina Davis
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

@cate erickson I think I would wait too! you might appreciate not having hanging fixtures. Our neighbor do not have pendants.. their space is massive and vaulted, and I think it looks amazing. We are toying around the same idea in our new home. What might work best is an outstanding table light that take center stage.... just an idea. Good luck!

• Shasta
    3 years ago

We also have vaulted ceilings and have views of mountains. I’m glad we didn’t use pendants. In addition to recessed, we do have cabinet uplighting, lighting in glass uppers and undercabinet lighting any of which we can use. All are on dimmers. It’s nice to have options.

• cate erickson
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you everyone! I'm going to skip the lights for now and possibly just do a large industrial fan to move the air around in the summer.

• Shannon_WI
    3 years ago

JuneKnow is referring to the cooktop situation where you have it right next to cabinetry. Best case scenario, the cabinetry will get scorch marks and splatter all over it, but the likelihood that it could burn from the proximity to the heat is dangerous. No real kitchen designer would ever have that setup. You need to rethink that.

• lucky998877
    3 years ago

Cate, I skipped my pendants also (but was planning on doing ceiling beams...nixed those too). And...then I changed my mind. So now we have 2 island pendants and they complete the space nicely. Since we didn't have wire pulled to them with a wall switch, the electricians added a pico switch and it made hardly any mess. No drywall to patch. And now I can have my switch where ever I want it.