Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_366920289

Need Help with Ranch House Exterior Paint Colors

HU-366920289
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I would appreciate any suggestions you can provide regarding what colors to paint the exterior of my house (given the existing roof color that won't change soon) and whether you would paint the horizontal siding and hull-like supports a different color or the same. Would you stain the rocks (what color?) Also, is there an easy, inexpensive fix to draw attention away from the flat ceiling line by the entry. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Color Zen
    3 years ago

I could see a blue/green/gray body color, white trim. Replace and minimize corbels too.

HU-366920289 thanked Color Zen
  • HU-187528210
    3 years ago

You seem to like lighter brighter spaces. From your idea books. Is that your style? I’d paint this house white. Clean. Neat. Crisp. Simple. Remove the stone completely If you can. And yes. Minimize the corbels also if you can.

HU-366920289 thanked HU-187528210
  • cat_ky
    3 years ago

I think the blue green gray color recommended up above would look great on your house. I would leave the stone. Its a nice accent, once its cleaned. I dont mind the straight line above your entry. It defines and calls attention to where the front entry is. The house appears to be not lived in right now?? Once you have finished all the exterior cleaning, and painting, then maybe redo the landscaping and get some chairs on the front porch and some large pots of bright colored flowers. Hopefully, the shutters in that window under that porch, will be removed, because, right now, they are very distracting. The house itself is attractive, just shows some lack of maintenance for a long while.

HU-366920289 thanked cat_ky
  • HU-366920289
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you all for your help. Yes cat_ky, the house has been ignored for 25-30+ years. I grew up in the house and just took it over -- I look forward to giving it new life. So Color Zen and cat_ky, would you do the entire house in the blue-green/grey combo or would you make the horizontal siding and garage door white (is that considered trim too)? And by minimizing the corbel, should I just paint it whatever the background color is? I definitely am planning on getting rid of the shutters! HU-187528210, I considered painting it all white, but I can't remove the stone and my neighbor next door has an all white house that is much nicer than mine. I am doing the inside in a bright white though! Thank you all again for the valuable feedback.

• houssaon
    3 years ago

I really like the ideas presented by Celery. Visualization, Rendering images. Those colors highlight the interesting aspects of the house. Very charming.

• cat_ky
    3 years ago

I would paint the corbels the color of the house itself. Dont use them as an accent, just let them blend in.

• HU-366920289
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Celery Visualization, I absolutely love what you did! You not only gave me a great color combo, you helped me visualize what I should do with the front windows, which I hope to replace at some point. I truly appreciate the time and effort you devoted to this.