Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Found a new dream room

Oakley
3 years ago

I was looking for topiary ideas and came across this room on decoist.com I can do without the karate chop on the pillows. I could sit there all day.

That topiary probably cost more than my house. :)

Comments (16)

• Fori
    3 years ago

Very pretty. It draws you to the outdoors, and makes me think, "Great spot to sit, but what's outside?"

• woodrose
    3 years ago

Lovely. I'll take the chair on the right, and a cup of tea would be nice, thank you. ( I wonder what's on the other side of this beautiful room ?)

• bpath
    3 years ago

Fori, and if you are outside, you might look through the windows and wonder “ooh, what’s inside?”

• LynnNM
    3 years ago

Ohhhh, beautiful!!!

• Tina Marie
    3 years ago

This is why you need a sunroom. LOL We use ours every. single. day.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    3 years ago

Love the murals. Is that a black ceiling?

• olychick
    3 years ago

The topiary is very nice, as is the room, but I don't understand why they place it so it blocks the view to to the outside through those gorgeous windows. I LOVE that ottoman.

• Lars
    3 years ago

I think they place the topiary in the window so that it can get enough light, and they probably have to rotate it every couple of days. I do not think that it blocks the view, since there appears to be large French doors next to it, which would give you as much view as your would need.

I have very nice views in my house, and I still keep the plantation shutters closed in the living room, even though they have views of mountains and palm trees.

• olychick
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

"I have very nice views in my house, and I still keep the plantation
    shutters closed in the living room, even though they have views of
    mountains and palm tree"

Why?

I knew it was for the health of the tree, but I still would not like having to look around it to see outside.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oly, I sometimes do the same as Lars, closing the shutters in the daytime. Especially in the summer because they keep a lot of heat out of the house and it gives me a cozy feeling with a lamp on.

• olychick
    3 years ago

Oh, thanks. I live where we throw everything open in the summer to enjoy the light and heat, lol! I save dark and cozy for wintertime. It would make me crazy to have a view and block it with window coverings.

• User
    3 years ago

Beautiful, Oakley!

• pudgeder
    3 years ago

I could curl up in there anytime. Pretty!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    3 years ago

IME,having something in front of a view does not always rise to the level of "obstructing" it.

I think it depends on the amount of unobstructed view relative to obstructed view, and the nature of the view.

If I had a window wall with a view of the Eiffel tower, one large plant in one spot could obscure just the tower and leave me with view of Paris rooflines. But If I have an oceanfront view, one large plant in one spot does obstruct my view in nearly the same way because what the plant covers is no different that the rest of the view. Does that make sense?

• Fori
    3 years ago

Do we think the topiary is real?

I could not keep a room like that. It would be claimed by a distance-learning teen and become instantly scruffy.

• Jilly
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

It’s so beautiful and comfortable-looking. Love those gorgeous windows.

Can confirm on summertime blind-closing (partially). We get so many weeks/months of such intense heat and sun, it actually starts getting oppressing to me and I need some darkness! But I lived in Canada a while, so understand wanting sun and light as much as possible, too.