Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melibd

Can you add wood to a steel garage to change the look?

Melinda Donnell
3 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

We actually have 6 Garage doors. Three on the front. Can I add wood molding to the steel doors to change the look? Also thinking of screening in the front porch, as the horse flies are terrible in my part of the country. And I’m sure having horses does not help. We are changing shutters to cedar this year as well.

Comments (15)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

Is this your house ? It looks like garages with a bit of living space attached .Adding stuff to garage doors can have an effect on how they operate . Do you need the one on the left IMO just too many garages so a bit more info would be good

• Melinda Donnell
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Yes it is our home. It is a Barnominium. Left to Right is Horse Barn, two story home 2400 sq ft, car garage/shop, last stall is parking for our Living quarters trailer and storage.

• millworkman
    3 years ago

Realistically no as the springs are rated for thee weight of the door. Adding wood would would through off the weights.

• Melinda Donnell
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

For those that Said it would be to heavy..... here it is! We are not done but one door is on a motor and the other is a manual lift. Both work great. Putting in a larger motor for the big door. We used poplar wood that was only 3/4” think to lighten the load.

More updates to come!! New black trim on order. And making new shutters.

• PRO
    Lisa Caudill Designs
    2 years ago

Looking good! Can't wait to see it all done with the black hardware!

Melinda Donnell thanked Lisa Caudill Designs
  • Melinda Donnell
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Lisa Thank You!! I am very DIY and creative. I just couldn’t believe the difference the first coat of paint made to change the look. Why didn’t I think of it sooner!!!! I am excited and we plan to put something up in the gable like you suggested. Thank you!!

• Melinda Donnell
    Original Author
    2 years ago

any ideas on how to hide a meter? It is right beside the front door!! 🤦🏻‍♀️ No we were not responsible for that dumb decision. I‘ve tried for years to think of something. The face of the meter actually sticks out past the brick. I’ve thought trying to put lattice in front of it on hinges...a shutter, some kind of cute sign.

• PRO
    Lisa Caudill Designs
    2 years ago

can you post a picture of it closer up? And dimensions.

Melinda Donnell thanked Lisa Caudill Designs
  • Melinda Donnell
    Original Author
    2 years ago

• PRO
    Lisa Caudill Designs
    2 years ago

I am thinking you have to frame it out and do an entire door surround. I am not finding anything online so will try to explain it here with a quick sketch.

Frame out the entire piece and based on how far out the meeter is, you will need a 2 x 12 to cover the sides.

For the front of each side, creating the frame to support 2x4s mounted vertically. on the left you will need to do extra framing for an access door.

For the rest, you can add storage hidden in the same way if you want or leave it just decorative.

The door(s) will need hidden hinges and a magnetic door holder you push to release.

For further "window dressing the z or x shape wood pieces down the front of each side.

For the top, create or get a faux beam front or if you frame it to support, a wood beam across the tip of the door.

Add some black barn lights towards the top of each side

Hope that helps and let me kniw if there are any questions.

• Melinda Donnell
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks! I kinda had that idea and was thinking of how to do it.

• Melinda Donnell
    Original Author
    2 years ago

This is what i came up with to cover the meter i love my front porch now i have to get a good picture of the finished paint job

We painted the white frames black

• PRO
    Lisa Caudill Designs
    2 years ago

Looks super cute!

• everdebz
    2 years ago

How nice!