whisper0071

what color is the granite

whisper0071
10 years ago
Contemporary Kitchen · More Info

Comments (11)

• sunnydrew
    10 years ago
    Hi Formica Group- I am the one doing the Petrified Wood counters. I have 3 5' x 12' sheets at the contractors shop. I just did a rough lay out for my main counters and the 2 upper bar top counters on a paper drawing. Can you provide any feedback on the mitering of the 2 corners of the lower long counter and the butting of the uppers ( bar top) in a perpendicular manner. I want to be sure I have the best way to cut it up. This is really rough and just cut up from a photo of my pieces. I have picked and specified where each actual piece will be cut from on each of the 3 sheets to maximize my favorite parts of the design. ( not exactly the same in the mock up) I can't wait to show you the finished kitchen
  • PRO
    Formica Group
    10 years ago
    lkdrew - We just reached out to our folks who assist us with these technical inquiries and was told that this is a contractor questions since it will involve precise cutting to get the grain you want, where you want it. At first glance, the 45s look fine from what you've said and the image you provided; however, the contractor should still be consulted to ensure you achieve the desired outcome. Hope this helps. We can't wait to see your finished kitchen!
  • sunnydrew
    10 years ago
    Hi, thanks for your response. I was just curious from a design standpoint how to handles the corners ( miter or not) and butting the bar top instead of mitering. I assumed that I would want to see the horizontal grain no matter which counter I was facing of the 4; and same for the bar top. Most of the photos on websites do not clearly show corners as much as a straight run or an island set-up. I am driving the contractor crazy :) already. they are in the kitchen now pulling out the smaller sections first to take to the shop.
  • PRO
    Formica Group
    10 years ago
    Let’s first acknowledge that this is a personal preference. However, mitering the corners sounds like the more common route. I searched a bit to find a good example of a pattern with a mitered corner. Of course, the contractor can try to match pattern similar to what the fabricator did in this photo. This is our Dolce Vita pattern with a mitered corner; it looks great.
  • sunnydrew
    10 years ago
    This is a great example, however some overhead photos would be most helpful. I realize that it is difficult to exactly match the pattern and I don't think it can be done perfectly, I was hoping to find a way to get as close as possible or at least have it look as good as possible. The contractor is really relying on me to direct them as to laying it all out for them. I appreciate your comments. I was just looking for any advice as what is usually the best way to approach determining how to best match and whether or not those 2 corners should be mitered.
  • PRO
    Formica Group
    10 years ago
    We searched high and low for some overhead shots, but that's just not the angle we capture when shooting product photography. Mitering the corners is the most common method versus having a seam in the middle of the surface (which also will require the pattern to be matched). As for matching the pattern, it will just take someone eyeing it and deciding what looks best. Hope this is helpful. Good luck.
  • sunnydrew
    10 years ago
    Thank you very much. I do appreciate all feedback or suggestions from you and "Houzzers". we should be all done in about a week. I will let you know how it turns out.
  • Jamie Price
    10 years ago
    sunnydrew - how did it turn out? Do you have any photos? I am putting the petrified wood on a counter and would love to see yours!
  • sunnydrew
    10 years ago
    OMG! I am so glad to see your post! I am posting some pictures for you. There are a bunch on Formica's face book page and I will find the link for you right now. I went to the contractors shop and he laid out the 5' x 12' sheets for me to see. I was able to use painter's tape and choose where each counter "section" came from.
  • sunnydrew
    10 years ago
    overhj01- here is the link to see the pictures of our kitchen.
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151716122227791.1073741900.82452487790&type=3