Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Speaking of outdoor furniture: potting bench/buffet?

Sueb20
3 years ago

I don’t have a large yard/patio, so I’d like to combine two needs in one: a table that can serve as a potting table and a sort of buffet table. We have ONE table that serves as dining table, potting table, place to set food and drink, etc. The grill has the tiny little shelf attached that’s big enough for, say, a dinner plate. We sometimes need more space to set down food from the grill, or a tray of drinks. I also would like to use it to pot my container plants, instead of making a mess on the dining table. Needless to say, this new potting bench/buffet would be cleaned off regularly.

I don’t want to spend more than $500. I’d actually prefer to spend a lot less and maybe repaint or jazz up something that isn’t technically meant to be used this way — like a vintage “something”. Some sort of console table? I like the idea of painting something to coordinate with my house. Maybe add some antique hardware.

The house is a 1900 Victorian. Existing furniture on the patio:

A good size would be 36-48” w, 18-24” d, and 30-36” h. Any suggestions?

I’ve considered this IKEA piece which someone hacked for this purpose. Someone on my FB mkt was selling one for $50 but it sold before I got to it!

Comments (62)

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Back to DLM's suggestion, this sure is economical, but is it heavy enough not to blow over? Asking as the wind is whipping outside today.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/AmeriHome-Multi-Use-Potting-Table-Work-Bench-GPBENCH/204703952#product-overview

I don't know, I'm leaning toward this one and I can stain it a color.

https://www.houzz.com/products/deluxe-potting-bench-unstained-prvw-vr~50781743

• just_terrilynn
    3 years ago

That last one seems great.

Sueb20 thanked just_terrilynn
  • nutsaboutplants
    3 years ago

Just wanted to suggest some search terms that may bring up a broader variety of products suitable for your needs. I‘m finding a lot when I search for “prep table” or “portable kitchen island”, at the right height and size for potting. I’m with DLM and Sue about durability of stainless steel. it will have an industrial/modern look, but I’m seeing some that have a wood top with metal legs and open shelves.

Sueb20 thanked nutsaboutplants
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Funny, I did look at some kitchen islands but now I’m off to look at prep tables...

• Tina Marie
    3 years ago

I'm not crazy about the stainless steel one. And now that you've shared these, I'm thinking of purchasing the Ikea one for our patio area. For the grill area. I do potting in the garage where I have a laundry sink and cabinets with all the plant stuff and a big work table (even if it is the Mr's. LOL)

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I was just thinking I need to go outside and see if I can actually visualize a stainless steel table out there. I think it‘s too modern.

Just found this on marketplace for $30.

• Jilly
    3 years ago

I still like your idea of using something vintage and painting it (or not). Lots of people did that way back when. It’s a charming look, perfect for beautiful old homes.

ETA: We were posting at same time, love that Marketplace one!

Sueb20 thanked Jilly
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    3 years ago

While waiting to hear back from marketplace guy, also saw these on the WF site. I think the first is adorable but worry it’s too flimsy.

• Tina Marie
    3 years ago

I like the one from MP!! It kills me how some sellers take FOREVER to get back with you!

• DLM2000-GW
    3 years ago

Love that Marketplace piece!

Just an FYI, Sue - the one you posted from HD is not stainless steel, it's galvanized steel. Very different animal. Galvanized steel oxidizes outdoors to a dull gray and will always have kind of a gritty feel to it. And if it's a poor quality galvanized, it can rust.

Sueb20 thanked DLM2000-GW
  • jmck_nc
    3 years ago

I just moved an old kitchen island from a previous home outside to use as a potting bench. I used to use it on our screened porch as serving piece, but I think it will be more useful outside. Years ago I added tile to the top. If it needs to be repainted I will use exterior paint. It has a drawer and one lower shelf. The height is perfect for puttering with plants. I wish I could get photos to post!

Sueb20 thanked jmck_nc
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    3 years ago

I like the Knowle a lot --- great w your furniture I think. The MP would be darn cute too .. w a marble top. Its very much what I had in mind --- and frankly for $30 you can buy a new one each year, LOL.

Sueb20 thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • OutsidePlaying
    3 years ago

Amazon has this. Would need to be waterproofed if kept outside but not a huge investment to spray it. They even sell the product to spray it of course.

Sueb20 thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Jilly
    3 years ago

One more and then I’ll stop being annoying. :D

I have this image of later residents of your house (say 1930s or ‘40s) using enamel tables.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/978905887/vintage-1940s-enamel-top-table?gpla=1&gao=1&;

I so love how eclectic and unique it would be, but still of the antique-to-vintage period. :)

Sueb20 thanked Jilly
  • Oakley
    3 years ago

Years ago I bought something similar to this baker's rack which is on Amazon. I used it in the kitchen until I realized it would really come in handy for my potting stuff on the front porch.

I use it constantly but nothing is better than a table to plant flowers in pots. :) Just put down newspaper and you'll have all the space you need for planting. Much easier than something narrow.

My rack has been out doors for ten years now.

This one is $125. Baker's Rack. That's all you need.

Sueb20 thanked Oakley
  • OutsidePlaying
    3 years ago

Just my two cents....I think a bakers rack is too tall for a small outdoor space, and not easily moved.

Here is what I use for potting plants, a cheapo rectangular plastic shallow storage tub with lid. I set it on the surface, pour in some potting soil, and plant away. If I am outside, my work surface is our outdoor dining table. I have a work table under our house where I have stand-up space. Everything is contained in the bin. When I’m finished, I just put the lid on and store the container under the house with my other stuff I have there. Or you can pour the remaining soil back in the bag if you prefer.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    3 years ago

$225 at WF... $177 at OS... I love this.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Oakley, I could see something like that working if it were against a wall, but this would be on a patio, no wall behind it.

• DLM2000-GW
    3 years ago

oohhh I like Jinx's enamel table idea!

Sueb20 thanked DLM2000-GW
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    3 years ago

Sue, that latest one seems perfect for a Victorian patio! And easy to move and hard to damage!

Jinx, I adore enameled tables, but they are almost all 4 tops which doesn't work for us for dining. Last summer we entertained our neighbors in Maine on the verandah. Each family had is own table, and our own buffets. I have one buffet, but sent DH to the basement to find something else to use for a second buffet (we bought our house furnished, or should I say over-furnished, and kept some items in the basement.) Anyway, next thing you know he brings up an old, enamel top table, scrapes the paint off the top, hoses it off, puts on a new knob, and Voila. I love it so much I gave it a permanent spot in the K. Have to find a pic!

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I love enamel tables too but the ones I’ve seen so far aren’t the right size. I have to decided to wait and find the perfect vintage piece to tweak. I saw this (below) on MP this morning and swooned a bit, but I think it’s too “nice” to put outside. I’d like to find something that needs a bit of love that‘s inexpensive enough that I won’t feel bad about it getting rained on.

Also, I don’t really want drawers/doors although in some cases I could remove them...we’ll see. I don’t want to feel like I’ve placed a bedroom bureau on my patio.

Thanks for taking part in my current OCD search. I’ll report back!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    3 years ago

I agree, sans drawers will be best. Not to mention drawers would hold moisture and create more issues.

I think enamel tables are the wrong height and aspect ratio to read "buffet." They are also, perhaps, a little too country or casual for your table?

I applaud your going vintage-y; I am sure you can find something interesting!

Sueb20 thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • User
    3 years ago

I really like the one with the oval top you posted above, Sue. It looks Victorian and would also complement your existing furniture.

The piece from FMP looks like a baby changing table. (In fact all of them with that short lip along the back edge look like changing tables to me.) Good luck with your search, I know you will find something perfect....shopping is your superpower 🦹‍♀️

Sueb20 thanked User
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Well, I’m back with a potentially creative solution. Somehow I’d forgotten that we had a vintage sewing machine base in the garage. It is similar to this.

And I’m getting this sad desk...for free.

My plan is to get DH to saw off the desk legs under the drawers and attach the top to my sewing machine base. I’ll paint the wood to coordinate with my house and add black knobs to the drawers.

Total cost = whatever I spend on the two knobs.

Plus whatever DH loses of his patience because he isn’t terribly fond of the DIY projects I assign to him.

• Jilly
    3 years ago

Perfect! Brilliant. :)

Sueb20 thanked Jilly
  • Tina Marie
    3 years ago

I have that exact base with an oak top my husband made. 😂

Sueb20 thanked Tina Marie
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Tina, I also have one in my house with a wood top!

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I found, and ordered, cast iron flower drawer knobs from Etsy. 😊

• User
    3 years ago

You have both more energy and a deeper commitment to recycling than most people, Sue, bravo! 👏🏻

Sueb20 thanked User
  • MtnRdRedux
    3 years ago

I think for an outdoor buffet, a top with a back and sides will be practical, too

Sueb20 thanked MtnRdRedux
  • l pinkmountain
    3 years ago

GREAT THREAD! I've totally been pondering the same thing. We don't use our deck much so want minimal furniture on there, since we have a screened in porch with all the furniture, but I do grill and putter with plants out there so have been pondering the exact same idea--something console height and multiple use or repurposed. I already was considering that IKEA piece since I had to go there last weekend. But our visit was rushed, just a shelving unit pickup. We currently use a VERY old redwood picnic table and bench, but they are dissolving. I've been considering some type of aluminum tea cart that I can bring inside during the winter. I'd love any number of the posted suggestions!!

That black cast aluminum console table is calling to me, particularly if they sold console height chairs along with it. Always good when something can multipurpose into a bar . . . (just kidding).

Sueb20 thanked l pinkmountain
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Kswl, I’m not usually this patient, and I almost ordered something a couple of times, but then I found that base in the garage and figured it was silly not to use it! Let’s see if it all works out the way I hope... sometimes my projects look better in my head than they do IRL.

• IdaClaire
    3 years ago

Out in Terlingua again, and absolutely loving the headstones in the cemetery here. They really speak of the people who lived, I think.

• Lars
    3 years ago

Here's the weathered teak console that I use:

It is 48" x 16" x 36" high and does not have a bottom shelf, which for me would get in the way. We use it as an outdoor buffet and also for potting small plants, such as small orchids. It is a good height for repotting small plants but not for huge ones, and we use an outdoor folding table for that.

We bought this console at The Teak Warehouse in Redondo Beach, which is only about 12 minutes from our house.

Sueb20 thanked Lars
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Phase one. I feel like I want to add something around the bottom of the wood, like a trim piece? But I also am not going to overthink a patio table. First will paint and add knobs, then see what else it needs.

• Jilly
    3 years ago

I love how that turned out. So cool and unique. Brilliant idea to use that base.

If you do a trim piece, I’d maybe do something scalloped or other design:

• Tina Marie
    3 years ago

Looking good!

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thought you’d like to see how it looks today. Mid April.

I just tossed the heart sign on there, it’s not permanent!

• maddielee
    3 years ago

Looks great!

What’s that white stuff everywhere? 😊

Sueb20 thanked maddielee
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    3 years ago

Oh my gosh all I can say is even though we have plenty of humidity and mosquitoes I'm glad we don't have snow today!

• Feathers11
    3 years ago

Ah, yes... the mid-April snowfall, lest you're getting too hopeful for spring.

I didn't see this thread earlier, but your table/buffet looks great.

Sueb20 thanked Feathers11
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    3 years ago

Yes it's super cute!

Sueb20 thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • Jilly
    3 years ago

It’s so cute! Love the color. Your vision for it was perfect!

Sueb20 thanked Jilly
  • OutsidePlaying
    3 years ago

Very cute! I’m with Bumblebeez and will take our mosquitos over snow.

• Tina Marie
    3 years ago

Love it Sue!! The snow . . . I cannot even. No mosquitos yet, but warming up and I love it. I do not like the cold. 😆

Sueb20 thanked Tina Marie
  • Oakley
    3 years ago

I like it! Those old singer stands are great to have.

Because of the angle of the picture I can't tell where the stand hooks to the desk, can it fall forward if it gets top heavy in front?

We're getting cold and rainy weather here, even next week it will be too early to plant seeds or set out bedding plants. Love it. :)

Sueb20 thanked Oakley
  • cran
    3 years ago

thought of you‘d appreciate this Sueb. Hope you don’t have shovel !

Sueb20 thanked cran
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Those singer bases are so functional! In our old house, we used one to make our kitchen table. I also have this table which is similar...not sure what this base was originally from.

Fortunately, no shoveling required today but it is messy and slushy out. On Tues it’s going to be 70 degrees! Gotta love New England.

• teeda
    3 years ago

Love it the table, but not the snow. From a fellow New Englander!

Sueb20 thanked teeda