Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolbrandywine

Close matches to warm off-white paint color?

Kendrah
3 years ago

Ok, I get that a paint color will look different in my space with my light, floors, and surroundings. This is why I will sample MANY colors on the walls at different times of day. So, I'd love some of your brainstorms of Benjamin Moore paint sample colors I can order to get close to this look in my space.

This is my dream home - Gil Schafer Greenwich Village Townhouse. I just love the warmth and depth of this wall color. It reminds me of a good solid hug from my mom. (Yes, color is emotional!)

Thanks for your suggestions.

Comments (11)

• M V
    3 years ago

I agree that paint colour is emotional. I think that is why we tend to agonize over the decision because we want it to be just right. We recently painted a bedroom in BM Seapearl. Depending on the light, it sometimes reads warm white and sometimes more creamy yellow. So you'd need to sample it in your space. I feel like that might be close to what we are seeing in your inspiration pictures.

I found this picture which compares it to a white. You can see it is on the warm side, leaning creamy.

We like it very much.

bm seapearl - Google Search · More Info

Other choices you might look at

BM White Dove - OC 17

BM Swiss Coffee - OC45

BM Winds Breath - OC24

Also, you may find This article on the BM site helpful. They show their off-white colours and comment on undertones and popular choices.

• Yayagal
    3 years ago

My favorite is BM Creamy.

• Marylee H
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Compare colours by their attributes at The Land of Color .com before sampling.

Then 2 x coats on boards, rather than directly on to walls. You want to be able to move them around, in daylight and shadow.

• Maureen
    3 years ago

This link will help you determine what undertone to chose and then narrow down by comparing chips next to each other. I’d also ask the consultant to help - BM has always been extremely knowledgeable and helpful to me And I love their paint. If still unsure, test out a few shades in your home. I‘d say your colors look as if they have a yellow undertone

https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/color-overview/color-palettes/color-families/white-paint-colors

• Kendrah
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks MV. I read an interview with the architect/designer who created those inspiration pics and he said one of his favorite paints is Seapearl. Good to get that confirmation from you too.

Maureen - The folks who work at the Ben M stores near me are contractor guys who don't know the difference between white and cream. Are the consultants you are referring to at a special kind of Ben M store?

I'm not really going into stores yet because I am high risk and need to wait until after my second vaccine dose. I'm thinking of ordering Samplize swatches online and bringing them into the new house with me.

Marylee - Thanks for the pics but my brain shuts off when I go to the Land of Color site. It is too overwhelming all of those charts and technicalities. I hope folks will continue to toss out name of colors for me thought I realize it is much less scientific!

• Marylee H
    3 years ago

BM Acadia and BM Mayonnaise belong to the Yellow Hue Family.

You can compare colours via their objectively measured colour attributes,

before sampling in your space.

The data answers the following questions,

which is lighter?

which is darker?

which is most colourful?

which is more neutral?

which reflects the most light?

which reflects the least light?

• Kendrah
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for helping me break this down Marylee! I still don't understand what to do with this info. The two you posted above seem to have such similar answers to those questions that I would not know what to do with that info. How do I know if reflection, value, or chroma are going to make a difference in the look?

• Marylee H
    3 years ago

The colour attributes help you compare details before choosing what to sample.

e.g. Looking at Mayonnaise & Acadia above,

Acadia sits just a little closer to the Yellow-Red Hue Family at 4.05Y compared to Mayonnaise at 4.47Y. Very similar indeed, but possibly enough to make Acadia feel slightly peachier in its warmth compared to Mayonnaise.

Mayonnaise is the lighter of the two colours. (Higher Value)

Mayonnaise is the more neutral of the two colours. (Lower Chroma)

Acadia is a more colourful colour because it has a higher Chroma.

Mayonnaise reflects more light back into a room. (Higher LRV)

LRV = Light Reflectance Value.

So you can weigh-up which attributes are the most important to you, in that space.

A more colourful colour, so the sun doesn’t bleach it out too much?

A lower LRV to lessen the glare from the sun?

🌈

• smalloldhouse_gw
    3 years ago

Samplize is great for this kind of thing - I ordered swatches about 25 different creamy white colors and tried them in different rooms. Took photos too so I could be sure after the fact. It was clear almost instantly which one worked best. Fwiw I didn't think Samplize worked as well for picking exterior colors.

• Jennifer Hogan
    3 years ago

Have you contacted the original designer?

This article has links at the bottom of the page for e-mail and instagram and lists the phone number. https://gpschafer.com/portfolio/in-town/greenwich-village-townhouse

G. P. SCHAFER ARCHITECT, DPC ~ EMAIL ~ (212) 965-1355 ~ INSTAGRAM

Even if they used a different brand of paint you would know exactly what they used and could use a tool like EasyRGB to find a BM Brand color or ask BM to color match the color used by G. P. SCHAFER

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz