ddinsb

Rose Photos Spring 2021

Would love to have us start posting the pics of our lovely roses as they come into bloom! Californians are already getting their first blooms - maybe the Australians are seeing the last of their blooms. And I'm sure the cold zone folks would like to see some color! I'm happy to kick this off with one of my all-time favorite roses - Distant Drums!

• Severe_Novice Zone 7B GA

My first rose bloom for Spring 2021.

It came with the new Plum Perfect in a 1 gal pot, but it was broken during shipping, so I cut it off. It's a tiny bloom I stuck in a small jar with a few rooting pothoses. I hope Plum Perfect can produce blooms larger than this. The color has an elegant, nostalgic feel. I love it.

And better with pansies. It's smaller than one of those. :)

Deborah (10a - Sunset 24) thanked Severe_Novice Zone 7B GA
  • sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Plum perfect is such a pretty color! I just got PP this spring since it had such good reviews for the south. I am still waiting for blooms.

Deborah (10a - Sunset 24) thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Want to spruce up my yard this spring but don't know where to start.

Remove the overgrown shrubs, and if you plan to plant new ones, check the height under the windows so you know how big the biggest shrub you would want there can be then when you are at the nursery you can choose based on how large they will be when fully mature. If that tree that I see is actually in your yard, have an arborist check its health and thin it out a bit. Branches over the roof not only fill your gutters with dead leaves but can be a hazard to the roof in strong storms. Have the lawn de-thached, cored/aerated, and re-seeded - unless you plan to lay new sod. Next fall plant lots of bulbs for spring flowers. Daffodils, Iris, and day lilies are good choices. Tulips usually only come up for 1-2 years before the squirrels dig them up and eat them. Deer avoid daffodils. If you actually do plan to re-sod the yard, buying a few hundred crocus bulbs for naturalizing and hand cast them on the bare earth before you lay the sod over them. Planting some creeping phlox along the borders of any sidewalk or stepping stones is another nice touch.

Spring decorating my front porch

If you got some tallish narrow stone/concrete colored planters for each side of the door, with a base green shrub in the center, that would be a start. For now, in most climates you could do winter pansies in white/yellow/blue that would brighten it up. In summer, looks like impatiens would do fine in your pots. I'm sort of a "doormat collector", in that I buy different ones for different seasons and stash them in the garage. Spring (coco mat with birds), summer (green ferns), fall (oranges/reds random pattern), Christmas, winter (white branches on a natural material mat). Wreaths work well, but for something a little different we added a door knocker to our front door, and periodically I hang things (bouquets, art objects) from pretty ribbon tied on the knocker.

Re-imagining the backyard

I agree that your yard appears to be in need of regrading. But your neighbors might have to be contacted and sign on to do it, too. You cannot regrade and transfer your "problem" to their yards! Perhaps some sort of drainage system---French drains---to reroute the water away from this area and to a more suitable area or storm drain. Then, with some leveling of the area outside your back door, a larger patio might be built to be enjoyed by your family. This is a job for professionals. Good luck to you!

Identify this Rose?

This is why you must take it to an expert. Photos are unreliable. I can't believe I just went out into my cold garden to cut this! We just had a storm a few days ago so the blooms are gone but you can see that my Bucks CB is a much different type shrub. It has a very different growth habit; very straight and rigid, large medium green leaves and sparse thorns. Also the flowers are deeper pink , they do fade as they age but they are twice the size of the OP's plant.
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Exquisite photos, Sultry and great cheater bloom, SN!

Deborah (10a - Sunset 24) thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • Deborah (10a - Sunset 24)

Is that what one tiny bloom is called before the bush is fully in bloom -- a "cheater bloom" ? I had one of those on nearly every rose bush this year...but I don't recall that happening before! I tried to cut them off quickly so that the bush wouldn't think it was already done with its spring flush!

Sultry -- I agree with librarian -- what a wonderful eco system you have! I have a little frog living in my rain water barrel. I feel bad, though, since eventually that water goes bye bye, and I'm not sure he'll attract a mate hiding out in there. But this is year 2 for a little frog in the water barrel, so who knows? LOVE all these gorgeous blooms! Your Teasing Georgia makes me both hopeful and a little nervous. I'm hopeful mine will produce blooms like that, a bit nervous that I don't have her in the right space if she gets THAT big!

Plum Perfect looks gorgeous. I love the photos of that rose. That and silver lining. I may have to find the space for at least one of those..

• Kitty6aNY

Jen,

What a lovely trip to the rose nursery! It looks like you & Lisa had a wonderful time! Great photo of you, two! I remember strolls in the rose nurseries in Los Angeles years ago. They are big nurseries with huge selection!!! Very cool! Beautiful Palm trees near the nursery! Brings back sunny memories! Fun, fun! You each have lovely rose gardens! I’d love to see a photo of Lisa’s garden some day! Love photos of the Moonlight in Paris and Eyeconic Plum!

Severe, Lovely first bloom!

Sumera, Beautiful healthy roses and bouquet! What is the name of the wine colored rose in the bouquet? It is gorgeous!

Jasmine, Love your rose photos...an abundance of flora! Love Teasing Georgia , I used to have one. Like No Other is stunning!

Sweet Rose of Mine- SRM has lots of buds....it’s going to be AMAZIBG! I ordered SRM. it is an exciting rose! Your frogs are soooooooo fabulous! And you having water lillies in tubs for the frogs! Your farm of animal and flora is soooooo amazing. I don’t know how you take care of soooo much. It is wonderful to hear about your spring birth of roses and nature! The frogs are sooo special!

Its funny, I think Im doing a lot just designing my yards with rose gardens, amending beds these days, pruning, growing seedlings inside, transplanting. My roses have leaves, now!!! My bulbs are blooming this month and I am busy w/my dog and cat! How do you do soooo much, Jasmine? Roses, flowers, Baby goats, chickens, a parrot, frogs, a Perinese, oh, my!

Deborah (10a - Sunset 24) thanked Kitty6aNY
  • Sumera 9a_Houston

@Kitty6aNY it’s Munstead Wood. It looks more wine colored when not in direct sunlight.

Deborah (10a - Sunset 24) thanked Sumera 9a_Houston
  • Kitty6aNY

Sumera,

Love Munstead Wood! It’s in my order coming!!!! Love that wine color! Beautiful bouquet!

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Kitty its not that much work..its just accumulated over the years and I have a feeding schedule for the pets and its just kind of a lifestyle.

Here is a recent pic of our Great Pyrenees puppy. She has doubled in size, at least! Maybe more than double. She stays out with the goats during the day, all day now and comes in at night until she's older.

These are our two male/buck Nigerian Dwarf goats. She is best friends with the younger one and they chase each other round and round their little house. She likes playing in the water and getting muddy :/

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Deborah, I hope your little water barrel froggie finds a mate and makes you lots of babies to eat up the bad bugs in your garden! I wonder how long he/she will live? I've read that some green tree frogs live 6yrs when in captivity as pets. I didnt know they lived that long.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Sultry, you get the price for those two adorable pictures! Deborah, I call plants that are newly arrived from the nursery with the Bloom on them cheater blooms oh, but I think you can call Early Blooms cheater blooms also! I don't think we have any rules here. :-)

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

I just repotted some of my cuttings from last year into larger pots. These were the very smallest cutting that I overwinter inside on a window and they are the ones that have done the best! Who would have thunk it. :-) I did battle fungus gnats oh, and lost so many larger pots to them. Live and learn! It's always something overwintering the cuttings. Eventually I'll get it straight.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Thank you Vapor.

I took this photo of Sharifa this evening since the bloom opened up more. She really reminds me of a pink version of Jude the Obscure! She smells heavenly!

Also cute little Pink Clouds the same one that is used as a root stock.

Like No other, again..tonight more opened up

• rosecanadian

Sultry - I love your TG bud!! And the landscape shaped picture is gorgeous!!! And your frogs are back!!! That is so wonderful!!! :) :) Such a great idea to have the tubs for them! What do the tadpoles eat in there...mosquitoe larvae?? Oh my goodness!!!! Your Great Pyrennes puppy is adorable!!!! And so are the goats! What fun!! My! Your Sharifa Asma rose is beautiful!! And Like No Other has sooo many petals!!

Severe - I love yellow and plum together!! :)

Deborah - you have a frog too! I think the only frogs we have here are leopard frogs....and they're sure not in my yard. :)

Vaporvac - I'm so happy for you that you got your cuttings to thrive! It's a bit tricky...but now that you have the hang of it, you'll always know what to do. :)

Deborah (10a - Sunset 24) thanked rosecanadian
  • terraformer_sf_bayarea_z9b

The first bloom on Bathsheba:

Also, couldn't help but show off my Josephine clematis :-)

Deborah (10a - Sunset 24) thanked terraformer_sf_bayarea_z9b
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Ok, where is this picture of Jen and Lisa ? Did you take it down ?

Those of you who got Plum Perfect, it only gets prettier and prettier.

I think that I am in love with Like No Other. I made a rash promise that I was done for the year.

Terraformer, your Bathsheba is so beautiful!

Sultry, I love your tree frogs, what great garden helpers.

Deborah (10a - Sunset 24) thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • Deborah (10a - Sunset 24)

Kristine - thanks for asking that question! I drove myself batty looking for that photo last night. Then the power went out!

• Deborah (10a - Sunset 24)

I can't wait to really look at all these lovely photos! But they will have to wait until I'm home. At a glance, I can tell there are roses and puppies and goats that will make my heart glad!!! :-)

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

It's there for me ...two days ago.

• Kitty6aNY

Jasmine,

How adorable! Love seeing your Perinese chasing your sweet goat baby! They llike playing chase....oh, my goodness! Love to see them chase on video! Your Perinese looks sooo happy. Bet you aren’t so happy when he is muddy! He, he!

I love your “Like No Other! Breath taking beautiful! Soooo lush! Swoooooooon! Oh, My!!

Friends,

Thank you for such beautiful rose photos. I’m a little wiped out lately...just thinking about all my plantings... new roses that came today and more coming...and seeds, seedlings to plant. I’m sooo sleepy. Good night.

• Severe_Novice Zone 7B GA

Sumera,

Your bouquet has gorgeous colors!

Do you spray your roses? I wonder how humid Houston is compared to Atlanta and whether you find black spot to be a major issue in your area?

Sultry Jasmine,

Like No Other is superb!

As a Novice, I only have small things for now.

A cheat bloom earlier...and my first little bloom from Climbing Pinkie.

This guy should end up covered in hundreds of these but in its first 3 years, it hardly happened. One OK flush last spring and that was it.

We'll see what it does this season.

• rosecanadian

Terraformer - good golly, that's a scrumptious shot of Bathsheba!! :) :) And, thanks for showing us your beautiful clematis!! Wow!

Kristine - I hmf'd Like No Other....it's gorgeous...and it has a strong fragrance...I want one!!!

Kitty - maybe you need a day of pampering and rest. You've been working so hard! :)

Severe - lovely! :)

• Kitty6aNY

Hi, Carol,

Thank you.

A little early rest last night and I am feeling better today! I’d like a day off. But too much work to do for a couple of days! Then maybe I will take some time to pamper. Would be nice. Have fun today!

• Sumera 9a_Houston

@Severe_Novice we are pretty humid and roses need to be sprayed for black spot. I have been lucky this year to have done well with just dormant oil spray since the season started. I believe it also has to do with the age of the plants, they tend to do better as they become established. I had more black spot on new plants.

• haku84_zone9
    yesterday

In the Back: PAOK, Teasing Georgia, Front: Princess Anne, Teasing Georgia

Deborah (10a - Sunset 24) thanked haku84_zone9
  • rosecanadian
    yesterday

Those are such soft, special colors!!! Love!!

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    yesterday

Don’t know why this is up top but a beautiful delphinium

How weird ?! I can still see it on my end. I didn’t remove it :)

I love the pup chasing the goat !! So cute !!!

My husband recently had knee surgery, and it’s been a lot of me helping and caring so I can only pop on a little bit . It’s getting better , but I’ll be glad in a week or so from now when he can maybe watch the kids 😂

francis meilland is really a beautiful bloom

Desiree is one of my favorite roses. It has a remarkable amount of blooms .

See this chunk here ? It is one cane! Now imagine 4 huge canes like this .. that’s my Desiree ! I love it !

Belindas dream again lol

My Chicago peace is super bold

ann Boleyn

I love this geranium... hope it reblooms

Oh !!! I needed to make a correction from my previous post .. the rose I posted was painted porcelain, not pink porcelain. I shared a recent intro . Not an older one . I’m so sorry for the confusion!

Everyone have a wonderful day !! 💗

Deborah (10a - Sunset 24) thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • rosecanadian
    yesterday

Jen - knee surgery is no picnic...poor guy. I can imagine how busy you are taking care of him, the kids and the garden! Your Chicago Peace is UNBELIEVABLE!!!! WOW!! I've never seen a CP bloom that color before....super striking! Desiree is a rose that I've seen in a catalogue and really wanted...but I've never seen it anywhere...yours is a BLOOM machine! Oh this is the trip you took with Lisa! You two look younger than springtime!

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    yesterday

Carol, I thought the same thing, Lisa and Jen look so vibrant and beautiful.

Jen, prayers for a speedy recovery for your husband. It sounds like you have a full plate right now to try not to overdo and get yourself sick. That is grandmother advice.

You lucky warm climate growers already have so many incredible roses and plants .

Haku, your bouquet is lovely.

• Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b
    yesterday

@Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca what sort of delphinium is that? It's stunning! I have a mix of delphinium seeds that I haven't sown yet but if it's the same variety I might have to bite the bullet on it :)

Deborah (10a - Sunset 24) thanked Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b
  • Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
    yesterday

@Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b I could be wrong but I think it's one of the colorations found in the Pacific Giants blend. I just bought a packet of those the other day and I'm excited to sow them!

Deborah (10a - Sunset 24) thanked Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
  • Kitty6aNY
    22 hours ago
    last modified: 22 hours ago

Jennifer,

Gorgeous photos! Its wonderful seeing your rose varieties blooming and what I may look forward to! I ordered Francis Meilland and Anne Boylen. First garden photo I have seen of Anne B-soooo beautiful! Love your delphinium! Pretty pink roses.... my favorites! Belinda’s Dream & Desire are lovely shades of link... little more color than F Meilland.Is FM the biggest or what do you like best of the 3 light pink roses?

Haku,

Love your Princess Anne & T Georgia! I ordered P Anne so I am very excited to see her bloom and I used to have T Georgia in OR. TG grows tall.... but beautiful blooms!

• haku84_zone9
    20 hours ago

Thank you Kristine and Kitty.

Kitty buyer beware Prince Anne is FULL of edger thorns lol but such a pretty rose.

Princess Anne

• Severe_Novice Zone 7B GA
    20 hours ago
    last modified: 20 hours ago

Lilyfinch,

Such beautiful roses...do you prefer pastels?

I usually end up with very strongly colored, if not garish bouquets! Same for containers.

Every time I tell myself I must try more pastel combinations and no chance.

Well...I'll call my colors tropical. :)

About how many buds did your BD have with the first flush?

Desiree with all that bloom is such a temptation for me...I wonder how it does with the BS and how it would stand the humidity of the south.

• Severe_Novice Zone 7B GA
    20 hours ago

Like Julia Child with Homestead Verbena. Can't seem to kick the habit....lol.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    19 hours ago

Severe. I tend to be drawn to the bold and the beautiful lol

I have plenty of whites and pinks but when I look out my deck the ones that pop are the oranges and fuchsias so I guess that I am with you on that one. Beautiful vibrant saturated colors are my favorite.

• Severe_Novice Zone 7B GA
    19 hours ago

Kristine,

You make a great point. This is the main reason I prefer bold blooms, in general - landscape impact. This doesn't involve the roses - but I have developed the fixation with bold colors from other annuals due to the fact that our house sits quite bit off the street and up - so for any flowers to be noticeable they must grab you by the collar.

I carried this habit over to roses.

For the roses on the deck - like you, I can see them from the kitchen window all the time, and I love to see them pop.

Then again, I love so much those sophisticated, pastel bouquets I see from many posters here; but even for our indoors, I am drawn to bold/bright (or white/very light) as our living room has judges panels and it's begging for vibrant or bright.

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22
    19 hours ago

Lilyfinch: Desiree is AMAZING with all her buds. That’s a crazy amount of buds. She’s EXACTLY my kind of Rose. Why have I never heard of her before?!? I can already imagine the perfect spot in the garden for her... paired with Bolero and Bliss Parfuma. Is Heirloom Roses the only place where we can get her???... just looked and they’re currently sold out. Blue Delphiniums... I can never get enough of them. I don’t know why I’ve never tried growing them before. Maybe because I assumed they were hard to grow??? Please anyone who grows them... are they easy to grow... are they easy to grow from seed?

Deborah (10a - Sunset 24) thanked Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22
  • Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22
    19 hours ago

Sultry_Jasmine: Please tell me more about Like No Other and the conditions she’s growing in and how she’s behaving for you? It’s one I’ve had my eye on... but was sold out this year by the time I placed my order. Is it a prolific constant bloomer? Does it hold onto its blooms for a long time in hot weather?

• Severe_Novice Zone 7B GA
    18 hours ago

Lily finch,

Do you think Desiree would work in a pot?

• rosecanadian
    14 hours ago

I love the bold colors too!!

• Diane Brakefield
    13 hours ago

I do, too. One of my favorite combos is anything purple and yellow. Love Severe's bouquet. Diane

Deborah (10a - Sunset 24) thanked Diane Brakefield
  • sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
    7 hours ago
    last modified: 7 hours ago

Ann, I haven't had Like No Other very long. She is in a 7gal pot for now. My growing conditions are typically warm and humid. We have been having cooler nights and some thunderstorms the last few days.

LNO has had a few blooms so far and has many buds. yet to open. The color is rich and vibrant and didnt fade much here. The fragrance isn't real strong but definitely there. That may change as it matures more and our nights get warmer.

The first blooms lasted 3 days before we got a good storm with high winds that ruined the blooms. I will know more about how long the blooms last when all the others open and will update then.

Hope this helps a little lol..I just havent had it that long to give a fair evaluation. At this point, I would buy it again.

~Sjn

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    7 hours ago

Diane, I love purple as an accent as well. In nature it just blends with everything

Its a good thing that there are so many purple plants to choose from.

I love delphs and salvia and dahlias and zinnias and purple roses

Purple and peach, my favorite

But I do love a beautiful moonlight garden with sparkling white too

• Kitty6aNY
    3 hours ago
    last modified: 3 hours ago

Severe,

Love the JC and lavendar verbena! Beautiful bouquet! Yes, very vibrant! JC and Graham Thomas maybe my favorite yellow roses! Although, my favorites are pastels and light pinks in the garden.... I love vibrant yellow, a little purple and fushias and I’d like a little of every color.... some to enjoy for all. I just love the varieties! I’d like to see a plethora of color everywhere.

For now.... it is almost all new in my landscapes.. mainly grass.. barely leafing out from 70 roses... budding -trees-bushes- emerging buds on flowers... looks like leafy flower beds and budding twiggy plants. and 35 roses still coming in mail. And some daffodils & Violas blooming! Yay! But the color is coming! Oh, to see joyous color! Spring-summer blooms are a joy to behold!

Haku,

Thanks for the heads up on thorns for P Anne-oh, the fushia pink is soooo gorgeous! Swoon!

Thank you, Severe for sharing your delicious bouquet!

• Severe_Novice Zone 7B GA
    2 hours ago

Thank you, kitty - but I just wanted to add that JC is certainly not a vase rose. The next day (today) she was toast.

• Deborah (10a - Sunset 24)
    1 hour ago

Severe Novice -- I just had to look up "judges panels" -- never heard that before! I was at first thinking you were saying you had family members (kids) who were very good at judging your efforts! ;-)

Re delphiniums -- I'm somewhat new to them -- I had trouble getting them to come back, so put several in pots and that has done the trick. Though I have one in the garden right now looking good. I love cobalt dreams from Annie's Annuals. And sunny skies (available at local nursery). I've never tried growing from seeds. I know you have to protect them from the slugs/snails who love nothing better than to eat delphiniums. I have also started growing larkspurs because they have less surface on the leaves to worry about, but have just gorgeous flowers. In the same family. Just finished a Flavia de Luce novel (thanks for my new addiction, @Diane Brakefield) in which Dogger tells Flavia that only "dishonest" gardners cut the delphs to bloom again the same season... ;-)

• Severe_Novice Zone 7B GA
    1 hour ago

Deborah,

That's hilarious! :)

Think traditional, last century (or a couple of them ago LOL), the opposite of anything 'modern.' Like this:

https://betweennapsontheporch.net/choosing-the-right-furniture-for-a-room/

I love that look and would not update it for the world (even though many people today would); but the deep, wood-toned walls call for very bright or white flowers or other touches of brightness in the decor.

So for me, a bloom either sparkles or else. If it is some beigy-pastelish in-betweener - it doesn't do much of anything for a room like this, or the landscape, or even in association with the colors I generally wear (deep, jewel tones).

• Diane Brakefield
    40 minutes ago

Hi Deborah, finally I'm up to date on this thread--I got really mixed up it's such a long one. First of all, which Flavia did you just finish? I don't remember that line, so it looks like I'll have to read the series again for the third time. I know that some thoroughly British gardeners say you should never get on your hands and knees to plant or do any other gardening task. Phooey. I would be a goner if I couldn't crawl around on my hands and knees in a flower bed. I finally found when you mentioned Colette, and I'm glad she's doing well for you. She's a climber that blooms her first year. I'm also happy that you're happy with the Lilly Miller. Like I said on another thread, they owe for all the mentions I've given that fertilizer--as well as Palatine--haha. Diane

• Diane Brakefield
    37 minutes ago

Severe, I beg to differ about Julia Child in bouquets. In the bouquet below, she was the last to disintegrate among all the many bouquets I made on the day before our first killing frost last October. Note Halloween decorations. Diane

• Severe_Novice Zone 7B GA
    25 minutes ago

Diane,

That's interesting. Maybe I got mine when it was already too open on the bush?

Mine wilted the next day.

I remember last year - the blooms on the bush went very quickly from bright yellow to light buttery yellow to shattered.

Either way, it's beautiful.