Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alameda_gw

Need Information on Royal Kate

Never heard of this one - found it today at Lowe's. Can anyone give me any information on this rose? Photos? Thanks........

Judith

Comments (16)

• joeywyomingzone4
    2 years ago

I found it at Home Depot, and when I tried an online search I found one website which listed the supplier as "Austin Rose Brand". So on the off chance that it is actually connected in some way with David Austin, I picked one up, and have messaged the chat department on the DA website. Will let you know if they reply.

• joeywyomingzone4
    2 years ago

Sounds good! I thought the foliage was quite fine and feathery, not like a classic HT, so I am curious to see how it grows.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Joey, glad you said that about the foliage! I went back and bought 2 more, and the foliage looks feathery on those too. Not sure what it will look like.....the bloom on the tag looks hybrid tea and what little info I could find on it says that.......it will be fun to see how it turns out. May be a dog, but might be something pretty neat. I also bought a Sunbright, which I have not seen in a long time. It gets big, is bright yellow. We had a huge rain this afternoon - roses always perk up after a rain. If the foliage ends up being feathery when it matures, what kind of class of rose could that be?

• joeywyomingzone4
    2 years ago

The only other feathery foliage rose I have at the moment is Champagne Arches, so I really don't know. It will be fun to find out though!

• joeywyomingzone4
    2 years ago

Just to update, I finally heard back from David Austin and they deny all knowledge of Royal Kate. They said they have a cut florists rose named just Kate but it is not available as a plant to the public.

• joeywyomingzone4
    2 years ago

Judith is your Royal Kate blooming yet? Mine has a bud just starting to open (toddlers swiped the first ones lol) and it has a lovely sweet fruity fragrance.

Original Author
    2 years ago

Joey I got 3 and all are potted and doing well. They are a lovely pink, have had several blooms. But........the more I look at it and the foliage, I think its Belinda's Dream! Let me know what you think when yours blooms. I got 3 body bags of Cl. Royal America, supposedly a sport of Cl. America in white. I was excited to see this one. Same deal - it looks very much like Cl. Joseph's Coat. Not white at all. I wish they wouldnt just make up these names and get rose lovers all wound up thinking they had found something new, only to be let down. I will say they are healthy and growing well, and Belinda's Dream is an excellent rose. I was just hoping for a surprise! I got a Sunbright in the same batch, which is hard to find, and its doing well and has bloomed and is actually the correct rose.

A friend told me yesterday that he saw a Phyllis Diller rose at Lowes! Its a new yellow. I went there today, but figured they would probably be gone and sure enough........its a Weeks grandiflora and maybe they will get more in. I did find a really beautiful square birdbath that I just love to compensate!

Will look forward to seeing what your rose looks like Joey! I dont know how to put photos on with my iPhone but think I am getting ready to have to trade it in, its not charging well, so maybe if I get a new phone I will get inspired to learn a new trick so I can post photos!

Judith

• Shay (5a NH)
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Judith and Joey, I also bought Royal Kate at Lowe’s this spring. I’ll post back here when mine blooms as well. Can’t wait to compare notes. I sure hope mine looks like Belinda’s Dream as well!

• joeywyomingzone4
    2 years ago

Well I think she's beautiful but I don't really think she looks like Belinda's Dream! The fragrance is very sweet-fruity and reminds me of strawberries.

Original Author
    2 years ago

My "Princess Kate" is a lighter clear pink. What made me think of Belinda's Dream is the foliage. This rose has a distinctive sort of notched foliage that is has red colored new leaves. The color is the same as my Belinda's Dream. I need to compare the two side by side, but this was my first impression. Of course this company could put all kinds of pink roses in pots with the name Princess Kate on them.........My Princess Kate rose color is different from yours Joey. I will be glad when I can figure out how to post photos from my phone!

• joeywyomingzone4
    2 years ago

Here's Royal Kate fully open. The blooms hold up well in heat and last a long time on the bush. The fragrance is still strawberries. Don't know quite what she is but she is sure lovely!!

• Shay (5a NH)
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Here is my first Royal Kate bloom. So far her flower is a medium to large, fruity smelling confection.

• jc_7a_MiddleTN
    2 years ago

@alameda/zone 8/East Texas i have Cl Royal America and it is a creamy white/yellow

true to the pictures

Original Author
    2 years ago

I got 3 of them in body bags last spring - they were growing well but turned out to be Cl. Joseph's Coat. Oh well......will try again next spring! I am sure its a beautiful rose and was looking forward to it. Thanks for commenting!

Original Author
    2 years ago

I have 3 Royal Kate roses and they are doing really well but look suspiciously like Belinda's Dream. Lovely, nevertheless!