Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosesniffer

Guillot Roses in US?

Rose Sniffer
3 years ago

Hello! Does anyone know where to get French Guillot Roses? I follow Japanese rose enthusiasts on Instagram and often stalk their hashtags because they have such amazing roses. I really wish the USA had more Asian imports on roses, but I know a lot of Asian imports of other plants have proven to be invasive maybe that's why we don't get the beautiful Wabara roses.

Just take a look at this one (link is to original Instagram, I do not take credit for any of these photos!)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNGpN3ArZkE/

Prix P. J. Redouté

There are more beautiful roses on their website

but it is all in french but the one above, Prix P. J. Redouté is just so lovely and on help-me-find it says it has a tea/vanilla fragrance! I see a few familiar roses on the website like New Dawn and Sonia Rykiel. Is there a helpful list or discussion where we can find out which variety is available to purchase in USA? I'm guessing they don't have their own distribution system like David Austin does selling directly to consumers.

Comments (10)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    3 years ago

someone.. i cant remember who said.. a rose is a rose by any other name.. or something like that .. lol

as a collector.. of various plants over the years.. with too much time and money spent with hybrid Ts .... and the 2 billion named varietals ... if you cant find something similar in the states ... you arent trying to hard ...

collectors ALWAYS want what they cant have.. and frankly.. you wouldnt believe the money they spend to get them... its part of the definition of being a crazed collector ...

if you really want these .. pay to have them legally imported and enjoy yourself... if it costs you a couple hundred bucks a plant.. so be it...

otherwise... im am very sure.. you can find near look alikes and live your dreams on more of a budget ...

i suggest you join a local or regional rose society... club.. and make sure you do it in time.. to get involved with the usual local garden tours.. and just find out what you can grow in your area .. and if you make some new friends.. they will teach yuo all kinds of things youll never learn online ....

in other words.. turn off the gizmo ... and go outside and enjoy it ... and travel a few miles .. ive driven 100 miles to go to a flower show ... it was worth it.. and i might double it.. if something was this exciting to me ....

ken

its actually: A rose by any other name would smell as sweet

so find the same with another name .. lol ..

• K S 7b Little Rock (formerly of Seattle)
    3 years ago

Roses Unlimited is the only source I am aware of for Guillot roses in the USA at the moment. I have Sonia Rykiel, Paul Boucse, and Versigny from there. I'd like to try the others that Pat offers, but don't currently have room. I love Guillot roses, and share your wish that there were more available in the USA.

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

My goodness!!!! GORGEOUS!!!

• Rose Sniffer
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you all for your amazing suggestions!!!! I do hope that the French roses gain more popularity so we can access them more easily going forward :)

Ken, your adventures to gardens sound so lovely! So happy they were all worth your trips! while I don’t have the ability to join my local roses societies due to time and distance, I’m sure it’s a lovely experience and appreciate all the knowledge everyone shares with us!!!!

K S, I appreciate that information thank you! What are some of your favorite Guillot roses? I remember being recommended towards Sonia Rykiel countless times and realized it isn’t hardy to my zone, but regardless of zone I’d love to know! It’s difficult to navigate the French website I hope they make more available in the US soon :)

rosecanadian, yes!!! They are unbelievably amazing!

Aaron, thank you so much for your detailed suggestions!! What a detailed and helpful list! I’ll definitely look for the ones bred by Massad. I have also not heard of Hummingbird Roses, it is lovely to find more mail order providers thank you!

• Sumera 9a_Houston
    3 years ago

@ Aaron Rosarian,

I’m thinking about ordering from Hummingbird. What has been your experience like in terms of plant size? What should I expect?

• Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b
    3 years ago

I've only placed an order with her, not received anything yet. I think others may have bought from Mindy though? If it helps, she does have a page literally titled "What to expect" where she outlines the size of the bands she sells.

• K S 7b Little Rock (formerly of Seattle)
    3 years ago

Hi Grace, I really like the ones that I grow (Sonia Rykiel, Paul Bocuse, and Versigny) but I have no idea about hardiness in your zone. Let us know if you get one. :)

• htracyn79 PNW-8B
    3 years ago

I bought Guillot roses from Rose Unlimited. They are sold out quickly.

• Rose Sniffer
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@K S 8b Seattle, it's more for future "research" that I am looking at these as I dont have the space! But oh man is this research tempting! Thank you for your input, it seems that they are excellent in beauty and also to grow :)

@htracyn79 PNW-8B thank you!! I have never ordered from them, but have heard nothing but great things.

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022