chrissy1c

modern living room

Chrissy Murphy

What should I do to this room? The floor is very modern. Do I take down the mirrors? New fireplace? This needs a total overhaul. Help is appreciated!

• ital mover

Wow. I hope you can find someone who wants all those mirrors In the living room I’d replace all them in there with artwork or maybe just one big wall mural.

Suprematist Wall Mural, 96" x 142" · More Info

Drapes for the windows

I personally would build an all-wall bookshelf unit on the wall surrounding the fireplace and TV, something open like this but with different materials and obviously bigger

Cobble Hill Condo · More Info

But if you don’t like that idea, something like this could be nice

FORMA Design · More Info

In the dining room I might put glass shelving plus a long buffet in front of all the mirrors and out rug under the table. I’d hang art on that wall too, but in front of the mirrors. Those dining mirrors are kind of fabulous, but I would use them only as a back drop for shelving made with brass and glass. Big modern fun chandelier and a great eye popping rug.

I think the floors are amazing

• Chrissy Murphy

Love your ideas! Especially adding brass shelving! Thank you!!

• Wildcat Blue

I would start by painting all the walls white then reevaluate. Good luck!

• ital mover

Fun rug for the dining area

Chandra Jessica Swift JES-28906 7'9"x10'6" Teal Rug · More Info

Chandelier

Volux LED integrated Chandelier with Sanded Acrylic, Brass · More Info

;)

From the looks of your ideabooks you have a much more traditional style. I’d definitely remove the Mirrors.
    I’d also maybe consider something with the flooring. It’s very very modern. Agreed re the built in on the tv/FP wall. Maybe something blue. With pretty hardware. Good space to work with!!

BeverlyFLADeziner

There's a lot you can do with black white and red if that is a direction you wish to proceed.

This is an inspiration board I assembled for that color scheme.

• everdebz

Question -- if all is removed behind sofa, what about leaving contemporary dining mirrors? house so sleek I wonder if good-looking mirrored wall would add a 'gallery' look.

• decoenthusiaste

Are these MLS photos or your furniture? If yours, would leave the mirror in the dining area because it is, in fact, an entire wall and people won't linger there; it is a passage way more than a destination most of the time. I would remove mirror in the living area because the installation isn't eye popping and reflects very little you'd want to see twice. I would paint the wainscot black and install a floor to ceiling art gallery there on a white wall. I would both widen and take the FP to the ceiling and paint that wall dark charcoal or black, adding more art where you don't have the new FP material. Add a generous and glamourous rug under the dining table to set the accent colorway for the entire space. Align the dining table with the chest and art there. You may like the idea of a runner rug to define the traffic path from the front door to the steps. Here's a dramatic approach to accent color.

Living Areas · More Info

The Sandberg Home · More Info

• calidesign

I'd start with removing the mirrors in the living space. The dining area mirror might be okay with the others gone. Move the tv to the side of the fireplace with a low console table, and run tile or stone all the way up the fireplace area. The floors may be okay to keep once some of the other shiny surfaces are gone. I would look for natural textures to introduce in the rugs - maybe sisal. I think the red wainscoting clashes with your chairs. I would paint it white like your trim, or the same color as your walls.

• everdebz

I have to express an opinion that anyone might need a girlfriend to talk things over with - little and big.

• Tia

yea... whatever you do, mirrors have to go. also that red wainscoting? there is nothing modern about THAT. and just darn right ugly. needs to go too.

• Tanya

it looks really busy, I would take the red stuff out and mirrors out. Freshen up with a brighter off white (higher LRV) and buy a big rug you like. The table set needs to go also and replace with a simplified wood table set that matches some wood end tables in the livingroom

BeverlyFLADeziner

I know that everyone is telling you to take down the mirrors. They are labeled as dated, but that's not always the case. It all depends on how they are treated. Here is your LR room without the wall of mirrors. I think many of the posters are reacting to the reflection of your plantation shutters in the mirrors and labeling it as busy.

I do think the mirrors in the DR might just be too many mirrors in the space.

You can place furniture in front of mirrored walls along with other features to make them more updated.

• Chrissy Murphy

Wow thank you for showing me that wall with no mirrors! I just bought this place in Indian Wells CA. All the furniture is from the previous owner but will stay with the house. Of course I need all new furnishings.
    I am meeting a contractor today and I will be posting some more pics to get ideas. I love your use of modern and traditional! I am thinking of doing a linear fireplace with a large tv over it but do I just paint that wall or do another texture/tile under the tv and fireplace?

BeverlyFLADeziner

I think recessing the TV a bit into the wall will create a cleaner installation.

Either paint or some larger format material, either tile or stone would look good on the wall to tie everything together.

• Chrissy Murphy

Beautiful thank you!!

• everdebz

I like Beverly's photo of plain mirrors with ornate items [and simple sketch art]. I almost picture this DR with elegant crystal chandelier brightened much, with a set idk what....

• hu818472722

A modern white wall color would be harmonious with the flooring and replacing those black ceiling can lights with white would be less distracting. Have mixed feelings about the mirrors (agree that DR ones are too much) but could modernize the half wall by painting it a dark grey (BM Kendall charcoal) for a less harsh contrast than black or red.

The fireplace wall needs more interest, this is a nice modern look. Would move the TV onto

the low wall feature. Would add dimension and style to this wall.

The furniture feels off, the black sectional in front of the windows blocks views/light and draws attention to the long narrow-ish room. A lighter toned long sofa with chaise on the dining room side and chairs in front of the window would open up this room better. Adding in wood tones could warm it up as well.

Overall, it is a very nice space but something is not working, and I can't decide if it's the shiny floors or the mirrors? or the reflection of the shiny floors in the mirror? or just too much grey flooring overall.

• everdebz

With fireplace's empty spot nearby - what about Beverly's and many others' recommendation to watch tv lower/ next to fp?

same material of fp can be on the wall behind tv.

• everdebz

I like this photo and I didn't even notice the tv, so camouflaged.

Architect's Residence · More Info

Mid Century Portland · More Info

• everdebz

Your tv on the left side, in neutral darker painted unit /s?

Hampton Hall - Farnsleigh · More Info

Darci Hether New York

There is a lot you can do with that space. We might first think about removing the mirrors and replacing the pops of red. Here are some designs of ours which just might aid you with this dilemma.

Pied-à-Terre: Family Room · More Info

Financiers Pied-à-Terre: Living Room · More Info

Riverside Drive: Living Room · More Info

Cozy Book Lovers Respite: Living Room · More Info

• Chrissy Murphy

Totally agree. The mirrors have to go. Thank you for your comments and pics. I love how clean and modern everything looks!