marie66dawn

Okna 500 or 600 vs VinylMax Edison

Dawn Adsit

We reviewed a quote for 11 Okna 500 insert replacement windows with deluxe foam upgrade and internal grids for $780 per window installed. Around $8,600 with almost 2g being install and 1g recapping windows after install. I can upgrade to the 600 series with composite reinforcement in the sash and a better seal system on the bottom sash for $45 per window. Do you think it worth $45 per window upgrade for the 600 series? Also is it worth the upgrade for full screens? I just had a VinylMax Edison estimate for just under $5,000. What bothers me about VinylMax is a 10 yr warranty - I read if they offer a 10 yr warranty it is because that is how long they expect their window to last. The Okna windows are literally double with all the upgrades but has a lifetime warranty.

• millworkman

"The Okna windows are literally double with all the upgrades but has a lifetime warranty."

The difference is king of like a BMW versus a Yugo. Okna quality is that much better.

GN Builders L.L.C

I love the sound of "lifetime warranty" sounds like the "limited lifetime warranty" we all get in our life and when something happens its always our fault, i,e too many fatty foods, too much cholesterol, too much coffee, too much drinking, etc and when eventually comes that time to put a claim in, all the doctors got the same answers, " It comes with age, normal wear and tear. :-)"

The same goes for building products you can buy an $80 dollar window or a $500 window with the same lifetime warranty, one will perform better and a bit longer but when it's time to make a claim you end up with the same answer "it's normal wear and tear which is not covered by our limited lifetime warranty".

HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC

I like the Okna 600 for another $45 per.

Regarding warranties, as someone that has been around and depends on on my manufacturers to provide parts over 10 years old, they most certainly do matter. That said, this price difference is far more about quality and performance than the warranty. Night and day comparison.

Windows on Washington Ltd

+1. Better product, design, performance, etc. Well worth the small offset in price.