salinasingh1

Fireplace help - I hate my fireplace granite!

Salina

I would really like to change/cover/hide the orange granite on my fireplace. can y'all give me your best suggestions? I'm hoping to not have to do a total gut job. I attached pics of the whole room as is so far, it's a work in progress. I'm really stumped on this one ladies and gents, please help!🙂

• barbhursh

Can you remove the black metal strips at the front corners of the stone? A different fireplace screen/glass that has less detail would not compete with the visual texture of the stone. What about leaving the fireplace (FP) open without any screen, depending on how you intend to use the FP? Keep the stone but remove/replace the above items. Afterward, you can assess the look of the mantle as to whether or not it suits the more contemporary/modern look you are working toward. The fireplace surround can then be a focal point which you work off of for adding color to your room, as with pillows, throws, etc.

• Salina

@barb, it's not metal, it's the same granite as the floor in front of the fireplace.

Hate my black granite and would like a lighter look to fireplace

I agree with Pyramid. A sledgehammer and a new "frame" and prep for your new hearth will probably be best.

I hate this fireplace....should I remove?

Removing the entire fireplace would be a huge expensive job which could involve everything from the foundation through the roof. Replace the fireplace surround, and the firebox if necessary, with a sleeker model. If you hate the brick, hire a professional to clean, prepare, prime and paint it.

Hate the Mantel and Fireplace - help!

I would just add more details to what you have...add another wood layer to the top of the mantle to make it thicker..add some more would trim in between the corbals that are under the mantle or remove all the small ones and add two or three chunky large corbals.... and I would still keep it all white...add planked wood above the mantle and add a white wash or light gray wash to give it a more organic feel....remove the carpet in front of fireplace and add a piece of marble. Looking at your idea book..I think something with a more casual organic and traditional feel for fireplace with a animal pelt on the floor near the fireplace would look beautiful....just mixing elegant with rustic.

I hate this outdated fireplace surround. What can I do to update it?

I actually think this fireplace is charming and cozy. I do see this look still in design pics: If this was my space I would bring down the TV and put it next to the fireplace. Actually, that is how my basement TV and fireplace are arranged. Built-ins might not be in the budget, but this is a good look. It would allow you to decorate the mantel in your more contemporary style. I don't think it is the fireplace that is the real problem - but the TV above does not give you space to dress the room in your style. From Pinterest: Most of the pros here only put the TV over the fireplace if there is no other place. In my basement, I would have to crane my neck to see the TV if it was over the fireplace and I could not possibly lay on the couch and watch TV. [https://www.houzz.com/discussions/on-my-soapbox-mounting-the-flatscreen-too-high-dsvw-vd~4537748[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/on-my-soapbox-mounting-the-flatscreen-too-high-dsvw-vd~4537748) The above pics do show painted brick. I find it cold, and much prefer the first two pics I posted, but that is personal preference, and you don't need to think about it unless you are selling soon.
  • Salina

After searching, it appears that the stone is onyx marble; doesn't make me like it any better though 🤣

• barbhursh

I like the stone but maybe consider a simple black surround the doesn’t detract from the stone interest but frames it. Is the FP being used?

• Susan Murin

Onyx is a beautiful stone but if it isn’t working for you you should change it. Could you make it look better by doing a surround and better mantel? Sure- but you’re still not going to love it. I spent too much time really hating some things in a former home that I couldn’t bring myself to replace because they were brand new. I’ve since learned that it’s not worth living with things that don’t make you happy.

• Salina

@Susan thank you for this, it's as if you read my mind. I feel exactly the same way❤️

• Amy Lynn

Salina, I have to laugh at how many are invested in you keeping this surround! I agree that it's a strong color and pattern and I wouldn't be able to deal with it for long. I love the metal surround idea for you. Modern and different.

• Salina

@Amy Lynn seriously I thought it was only me lol. Like, did I phrase my inquiry incorrectly 😂😂. I'm loving that metal surround too.

Hansen Wholesale

@Salina I don't think the mantel is too thin...it is an interesting natural piece. You can also just put tile right over that Onyx like this:

Check this out from the Spruce.

Here's how it looks on your fireplace

• Timi M

I would definitely replace or cover. To my eye, it is not pretty or interesting stone. I would contact a stone mason or skilled handyman and get ideas and quotes. They might be able to replace (or cover) with stacked stones, metal or a thin slab of granite, marble or quartz that you find aesthetically pleasing.

• mick50

Haha! This has been humorous! Back to the original question... talk to some tilers and get quotes on either covering the stone

with new tile or ripping it out and replacing it. If the stone is as fancy and valuable as people claim, and it comes off unbroken, maybe you could sell it. New tile can be very affordable, depending on the material you choose, which is endless! Pick what you like. By the way, I really like the rest of your room...cool stairs, sofa, rug... it all works, minus that fireplace! Here are some tiles I think would look good with your room. You could also find tiles in the same granite as your black granite hearth.

• RedRyder

You hate it. Start planning on getting it out of there. You won’t regret it. If it can be removed carefully, someone else might want it and will pay you for it (!) It clashes with your room.

• Salina

@hansen thanks for your extremely helpful feedback. I love every idea you have provided. I already have someone coming tomorrow to take a look. I am definitely most drawn to the metal sheets and I am going to price that out also.

• Salina

@mick thank you for the compliment, I'm so happy someone else likes my room too (minus fireplace 😂). I actually plan to use that hex tile in a larger size on my kitchen floors and I really love how it looks on the fireplace. wonder if it would be overkill to use it in both spaces? maybe I can use a different size hex on the fireplace and it can tie both rooms in?

• Salina

@hansen and I'm thrilled you don't think the mantle is too thin because I didn't think so either🙂

• unwantedadvice

@Salina, I love how you’ve decorated the room and while I don’t mind the onyx, I don’t live there. I like Hansen Wholesale’s ideas, too. Tile would be more affordable in the end although the metal overlay looks fab. May I ask why you’re moving the chairs out?? The style goes so well with everything else. Pls keep us informed on what you end up doing.

I love your sofa! Would you mind telling me who makes it?

• Salina

@unwanted advice we're actually closing the wall where you see the dining room and opening the closed side so it will be accessible into the kitchen. the dining room will become a bedroom and the back bedroom which is adjacent to the kitchen will become our new dining room. then our three seasoned porch will eventually become our actual family room. I'm sure it's hard to visualize. when I have the plans I will share them here 🙂
    I'm totally into the metal surround for sure, if it fits my budget I will go that route; if not, then tile it is.

• Salina

@unwanted advice I'm sorry I didn't answer your question regarding the chairs and I have no idea how to edit a post thru the app. If I have the right layout for the chairs I might leave them. since I'll have more wall space i might relocate the TV opposite the sofa and hang a piece of art that I own over the fireplace, but all of that is yet to be determined. it truly is a work in progress 😊

• Salina

@HU - it's from Modani in New Jersey, the left seat is actually a recliner, it was a surprise for my hardworking husband 🙂 https://www.modani.com/living/sofas/thompson-sectional-motion-sofa-right-brown

• unwantedadvice

@Salina, that’s quite the reno you’ll be doing to make the home your own. Sounds like a good, well thought out plan. Since you’ve recently moved in, are you keeping whatever it is on the stair risers? I personally like it and wondering if it’s tile or a wallpaper? No rush on an answer either. Oh, and what’s the timeline for accomplishing these wall closings and creating new doorways?

• Tara

I like your room, except the fireplace. At first I thought it was just plywood! Oh my! I would definitely look into getting it tiled over or put metal over it or something. The whole thing might come off easily!

• Salina

@unwantedadvice - It's actually tile and yes I'm keeping them, I like them. The stair railing was a bit busier before but I DIY'd it last week to make it a little more simple (here's a pic of the before).
    It's a big undertaking but we pretty much gutted our last house a few years back so we're kind of used to it; this time it is super nerve wracking because the previous owner of our new house is quite the contractor, he works on penthouses belonging to Martha Stewart and other celebrities in NYC and he put his heart and soul into this house, for instance his tile work is impeccable. So any changes I make I'm always thinking "would he approve of the quality?" where as our last house was such a disaster that anything I did was an improvement lol. I know it sounds silly but I can't help it.

Anyway, where we live we have to have an architect draw plans when we're taking out walls and adding others so we just met last week for measurements and it's going to take about 3 weeks to have the drawings back. Once I have them I can get some quotes on the cost and get started with the first phase. We are switching the dining and bedroom because the back bedroom leads out to the screened in porch that we eventually want to convert into our family room.
    I'm sorry if this is long winded, but it's actually nice to 'talk' to someone about it.🙂

• Salina

@Tara I'm truly loving the metal, will get a quote as soon as my husband does some measurements for me

• unwantedadvice

@Salina, I can certainly see why you’d be hesitant to do any work to possibly undo what the previous owner put in knowing he was an excellent contractor. Maybe you have your forever home when everything is finished. It’s a good thing, as Martha Stewart would say, about what needs to be done and to share your creative undertakings with others and you’ve already gotten new ideas and help you here on Houzz so that’s a plus. Of course, you’ll need to provide pix of the stair railing now, right?? 😉 You also sound like quite the DIYer, too, so that’s a plus since you’ve accomplished it before on your previous home. I think that gives you more confidence in moving forward. Btw, glad you’re keeping the riser tile, I really like it as it adds more character to your home.

• Salina

@unwanted advice here are the stairs currently. I plan on changing out the hand rail to match the wood of the stairs.

• unwantedadvice

Ah, much better! More sleek and modern.

• Salina

what are your thoughts on this particular tile? my husband is not a fan of the metal surround - he typically is drawn to more traditional styles than myself.

Hansen Wholesale

Here's how the tile might look. I would replace that old fireplace door, it is very dated.

• Amy Lynn

I love your new railing! We put in something similar in our house.
    My honest opinion, I don't love the tile you're showing for the surround. It's kind of busy looking. With the strong repeat pattern caused by the gold inlays, when you cut into full sheets to fit it around the opening, it looks disjointed. I think I would prefer something a little calmer and definitely no gold.

• Timi M

I fear that tile will look dated pretty quickly. It’s very unique and bold. I suggest considering something a less pronounced as it will be costly to replace. Use pillows and rugs for strong accents. It appears you are trying to tie to the mantle. Can you replace the mantle, too, so that’s not a limitation?

• Salina

@hansen you are right, I have to bite the bullet and replace it. I painted it black (it was brass) to update it but it's just not cutting it.

• Salina

@Amy well I can't wait to show my husband these comments because he loves this tile. I'm leaning toward a typical subway tile to be honest.

• Salina

@Timi thank you because this freaking tile is $25 a sq ft and I am glad you and Amy are not fans so I can tell my husband I'm not picking on his choice. Honestly I like the mantle, I like the live edge and the color. I really like this emerald green subway tile I saw but I'm also afraid it will look dated quickly due to the color so I was either going to go w a black or a white tile.

• Salina

@Amy thank you regarding the railing, I'm really happy with the easy it turned out. Are you open to sharing a pic of your railing? (it's perfectly ok if you don't want to)

• Amy Lynn

Here is our railing that goes around the stairwell. We just replaced it last year. Our house is a definite work in progress. We have since replaced the gray tile with wood and plan on refinishing our floors to something NOT orange! The chair and table are place holders until I figure out what else to do.

• RedRyder

How many of us need to say that his tile choice isn’t great so he will be convinced? I agree with @Timi M that it will look dated quickly. I also think it doesn’t go with the style of the house. Your idea to use a “quiet” subway tile is better. I LOVE what you did to the staircase railing!
    I’m sure it’s intimidating to rip out the work of a respected contractor, but you have to love your house. So far, everything you’ve done is pretty terrific. Your instincts are working for you.

• Salina

@Amy it looks beautiful. I especially love your light fixture and wall art. I also like your floors too, once you tone down the orange it will be perfection, all though I feel like floors always look more orange in photos than in real life. I hear you on it being a work in progress, I felt like we worked on our last house from the day we bought it until the day we left.

• Salina

@Red well the two previous comments are more than ample, I don't want him to feel too bad lol. Thank you for the compliment, I appreciate it, alot of times I get insecure and I don't even know why. I'll get a few different subway tiles when I go back to return these.

• Amy Lynn

Thanks Salina! Yes, that's the plight of the DIYer. The work is slow and never really finished. Having house always in the state of being updated is tough. But we all just keep plugging away, don't we 😉
    Can't wait to see what you come up with for the surround. I'm sure you'll hit in the right thing and I'll be here for it!

• Carolae

Consider also a square tile instead of a subway tile, perhaps one with a handmade look. Look at Bedrosians Cloe tile- it comes in different colors.

• Carolae

I do like a dark green tile for your house :)

• Salina

@Carolae I love that color. The tile reminds me of the zellige tiles that I am drawn too and I do like the squares also.

• Carolae

It would look great with your black granite hearth! I would do a darker grout, not white. Handmade look tile is less expensive than handmade tile :)

• Salina

@Carolae I just ordered some samples in black, white and green. Patiently awaiting their arrival. I am in agreement with darker grout.

Hansen Wholesale

Here's the Vert Boutielle #011 Authentic Zellige Tiles from Etsi

You may not be able to add the tile without overlapping the black granite on the sides like I am showing here without exposing the edge of the tile, so you would want to talk to a professional about how they would manage that in any of these examples.

I've shown this with a custom 3 sided frame screen in black with gold finished solid brass rope casting trim and gas burning reflective black glass.

I personally like this look better than any of the other mockups I have done. But then again, that color of green is my favorite color. I love how it ties in with house plants and brings a more natural look...especially with your natural wood mantel.

• Timi M

This could work beautifully with your wood mantle and other design elements.

• Salina

@Hansen hands down this is my favorite also, I like the lush, natural feel of it. Thank you for taking the time to do all of these mock ups for me, I truly, truly appreciate it! In order to make sure I get the right size doors do I just measure the current ones and get the same size or do I have to measure from the inside of the fireplace? It's a wood burning fireplace if that makes any difference.

• RedRyder

Actually, both mock-ups would work in your house! (I’m like you around the color green. Given choices, if there is a green one, I choose that.)

Hansen Wholesale

@Salina If you would like help with a new screen or fireplace doors you will need to remove the existing doors and measure the opening. We will need to see some pictures with the doors removed so we can determine if there is anything unusual that must be considered.

Please follow the instructions here: Free Fireplace Door Design Service

There is a wide variety and plethora of materials and finishes to choose from. I will help you further by creating additional mockups as I have done here on Houzz.

Here's a couple additional links to get you started:

Custom Fireplace Doors

Fireplace Door Photo Gallery

Hope this helps.