Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elizabethward575

Need advice regarding pastoral wall mural

Elizabeth Ward
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Ok. I had a beautiful wall mural installed yesterday. The installer did a wonderful job. No visible seams, looks lovely. Except....the mural was installed without the most important part of the mural showing. It is a pastoral mural, was supposed to show a stream, a cow, and shepherd. It is a lovely mural, but obviously, a very, very costly mistake as it is not what it is supposed to look like.

Do you think hanging a trumeau mirror might help?

FYI...the near future, the table is going to be replaced with a black baby grand piano.

Comments (20)

• RedRyder
    3 years ago

When you got the mural, did you see it HAD the part you were hoping to place centrally? If so, you needed to tell the installer. If not, you should ask the mural company why your particular mural doesn’t have the stream, etc.

• Kate
    3 years ago

If it was a floor to ceiling mural and the animals were on the lower section you would have needed to choose what section you wanted to be on the wall and let the installer know. If you went with the lower half you would have cut all the trees. If you ordered the short mural from a full size pic you should have been able to select where to crop. It still looks nice though.

Elizabeth Ward thanked Kate
  • User
    3 years ago

Which way is the piano facing?

• PRO
    Susan Tiritilli
    3 years ago

I vote no mirror. Even if it is missing the stream it is really gorgeous.

Elizabeth Ward thanked Susan Tiritilli
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

No mirror and I would need to see the whole mural you ordered and was it ordered to fit your wall they do come in differnt sizes often to fit the space.

• Emily
    3 years ago

No one but you will know what it was suppose to be. It looks beautiful as it is. Wait until the piano goes in and see what it needs afterwards, if anything

Elizabeth Ward thanked Emily
  • User
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I agree you should bring in the piano first and then see how you feel. My first inclination was to suggest a wonderful tall pedestal — either classic or classy modern — with a great plant sitting on it, but that really all depends on how the piano is situated in the room. It will make a difference if you intend to keep the piano lid up or down, and if down, whether you intended to have a marvellous velvet piano cloth with gold fringe, or an upholstered piano bench. All that.

• User
    3 years ago

I think a cloth for the piano or upholstery for a bench made of this would be stunning

Mayfair Burnout Velvet Drapery and Upholstery Fabric, Palm · More Info

You could add this, filled with abundant greenery

;)

Elizabeth Ward thanked User
  • Elizabeth Ward
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I did not want to hover round as the gentleman was installing the mural. His company got stellar reviews and he has been in business for 32 years. I just would have expected him to unroll each piece and see that there was more detail in the lower sections of the mural. That being said, I should have checked on the progress with more diligence. I have decided to paper the adjacent wall with the same mural, but obviously having the missing sections installed. That should provide some cohesion, and give me an additional pastoral scene.

I thank you all for you input. Additionally, the baby grand is at least a year away. Once it is placed in the space, I think it will obviously be more of the focus. The mural will then provide a lovely backdrop.

• RedRyder
    3 years ago

Good plan! It will be great to have more of it in the room, as it is unique and quite pretty

Elizabeth Ward thanked RedRyder
  • Elizabeth Ward
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you very much for your kind comments. Your ideas and suggestions have been very helpful. Thank you also to everyone who commented to say you thought it was a pretty mural. It is so appreciated.

• Elizabeth Ward
    Original Author
    3 years ago

On a other note. Should I leave the wainscoting white, or paint it more of an ivory color?

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    3 years ago

If you’re going to repaint anyway I’d go with a softer more ivory color.

• njmomma
    3 years ago

Please post updated pictures of the room when you finished. Can't wait to see this beautiful room come together. Love the Mural by the way, even without the cows and stream.

Elizabeth Ward thanked njmomma
  • Elizabeth Ward
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you so much! Your kind comments have really helped me. I am going to have the mural continued on the adjacent wall, and when I do, I will post photos. I am pretty sure I want to paint the wainscoting a deep soft ivory. I think it will be less jarring next to the darkness of the mural. Thank you again. Everyone loves approval, and hearing from kind people, like you, really helps.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    3 years ago

Hi again Elizabeth--my favorite ivory is Ben Moore's Linen White. It's very creamy and works great in a room like yours with the classic moldings and that gorgeous mural. I have a 1924 Colonial Revival with lots of 18th Century American reproductions and it's on all the trim.

• Elizabeth Ward
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you, Diana,

i actually was looking at that exact color. I love Benjamin Moore paints. Every room in our house is painted Simply White. I bet your Colonial is gorgeous. I just love the time period. Thank you for your kind comments.

• RedRyder
    3 years ago

We all want to see the progress, Elizabeth. It’s a lovely room.

Elizabeth Ward thanked RedRyder
  • PRO
    Norwood Architects
    3 years ago

Did you talk with your installer beforehand to instruct him or her how the mural was to be installed? If you did and he or she didn't follow instructions I would consider asking them to replace and reinstall per your instructions.