Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teddie2

I want to put my sink shower and toilet all in a row

teddie2
3 years ago

I have a small bathroom. When you walk in the sink is immediately on the rigth followed by a wall that separates the bath. The toilet is on the wall opposite the entryway (next to the bath)

My plan if I can work out the space, is to rip out the tub (we have one in the upstairs bath) and put a 30 in shower which may give me enough room to move the toilet in line with the sink and shower and out of sight. It would open up the space. I have never seen a bathroom designed that way so was wondering if there is a reason. Not sure if it would look strange.

I saw a toilet behind a wall in an apartment I was staying in and loved the idea .. more privacy.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments (19)

• plan2remodel
    3 years ago

Three-in-a-row (sink, toilet, with shower along back wall) is a common layout for a rectangular bathroom. It works well when the longer wall is at least 10 feet deep, e.g., in a 6x10 foot space; otherwise, the vanity space is limited. The recommended interior width for shower is 36" (but 30" meets the minimum requirement). Allow space for the shower curb if not curbless.

Luxury Bathroom · More Info

Brackenridge · More Info

Kids' Bathroom · More Info

18th Ave City Homes · More Info

teddie2 thanked plan2remodel
  • teddie2
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The bathroom is about 5 wide by 8 long. The designs above would put the shower on the back wall which I would love but that would require all my plumbing to be significantly rerouted and some major reconstruction.

What I was considering was all on one wall, sink, shower, toilet in that order but have never seen a bathroom like that.

• bpath
    3 years ago

So you would have a square shower? With the toilet beyond that?

In our bathroom, a common vanity-toilet-shower arrangement, there is a wall less than the depth of the vanity separates it from the toilet, and holds a medicine cabinet. Then, it drops down to a pony wall to the edge of the vanity. A nice spot to set something for a moment like the new roll of TP. It’s a nice separation, although if we are both in the bathroom at the same time neither of us will use the toilet. But, that would entail moving your toilet farther, which it sounds like you are trying to avoid.

• Maureen
    3 years ago

Don‘t see that setup because of functionality, but I was able to find one example.

teddie2 thanked Maureen
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

IMo without a to scale floor plan there is no way to help and a 30” shower is pretty useless and why is is necessary to have them all in a row. Moving toilets is very expensive so please post some pics and a floor plan showing where everything is now.

teddie2 thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    3 years ago

You said in your original post you wanted to move the toilet- once you are doing that (the hardest part to move) you should go ahead and get the best layout you can- sink, toilet, shower across the end. It will get you the largest shower. With the shower in the middle it ends up being 30"x30" which is not comfortable to shower in

teddie2 thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • PRO
    Celadon
    3 years ago

With the shower in the middle, you now have to account for a walkway through to the toilet, and the shower door swing. Now the bathroom has to be wider than 5’, with zero benefit to functionality. And the shower uncomfortably small.

teddie2 thanked Celadon
  • teddie2
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This is the straight in view

• teddie2
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Sorry I am having problems with loading my photos. Thank you all for your comments. I made an error in my initial comments the sink when you walk in is on the left side as is the shower right next to it. The toilet is straight on as you walk into the Room on the right side there is a radiator so putting the shoer at the back. Though that would be best, is not possible. You are correct a 30" shower would be kind of on the small side though they do make them. I could not do any larger and still have enough room for the toilet.. The Room is Angles a bit at the front so the left wall is 92" and the right wall is 76.

The with is 59". There is a window above the toilet

The only change in design I can see working at all is what I suggested and may not be best so I may just have to stick with what I have unless anyone sees something I dont.

I am going to try and get the photos.

• teddie2
    Original Author
    3 years ago

yes

• teddie2
    Original Author
    3 years ago

finally got the photos on

• teddie2
    Original Author
    3 years ago

looking for any advice on redesign to maximize the space.. its a small bathroom and due to the heat on the right wall cannot put a shower on the back. stuck with the toilet there unless I can move it to the left wall with the shower and the sink. getting rid of the tub will free up some space. If I have to keep the toilet where it is perhaps shelving or cabinets after the shower on left wall with maybe a 36 inch shower. just looking fir options.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    3 years ago

Sketch of the layout with dimensions will get you better responses

• teddie2
    Original Author
    3 years ago

not sure how to get a sketch on here but here are the dimensions
    The Room is Angles a bit at the front so the left wall is 92" and the right wall is 76.
    The with is just about 6 ft (59 inches)

The with is 59". There is a window above the toilet

• suezbell
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Is the wider part of the room that is created by the angle located by the exterior wall and window or by the interior wall and door?

If the widest part of the room is at the window where the toilet is now located, leaving the toilet at that end of the room against one wall and adding your sink across from it is likely going to be your best option because the shorter 76" wall isn't likely going to give you enough length to put all three fixtures in a row.

• teddie2
    Original Author
    3 years ago

hi suzbelle
    no the width of the room is 6 feet the length on left side is 92 the right is 76 where the door is. Nothing can go on the right wall because of the baseboard heat. I think you can see that from the pictures.

• EvaElizabeth
    3 years ago

I know that relocating plumbing is significantly expensive but this makes me curious - once you relocate one major piece of plumbing, is it considerably more to relocate everything else? I was under the impression that once you start relocating stuff you’ve already jumped into that higher price point.

How often is the bathroom used since you mentioned you have a full bath elsewhere, and by who? We had a “3/4” bathroom with a 30” shower in a townhome at one point and i hated it, I couldn’t move in it and I’m a small person. It was impossible to comfortable shave my legs in it. I used my kids’ bath/shower the entire time we lived there. My husband is a tall, bigger guy and it didn’t bother him as much but he still only used it if the bigger bathroom was occupied. At one point we used it for storage when we were putting in a closet organizer and no one missed it.

• teddie2
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Eva Elizabeth
    it is the 2nd bathroom in the house on the main floor. My husband is the one that uses the shower as he gets up early and does not have to disturb me. I think you may be right about the 30 inch being too small. I was at an Airbnb once where the shower was insanely small and O hated it so most likely it was 30 because I think I read recently that is as small as you can go.
    I thinknI am stuck with the configuration as is. I am think I will just get an interesting toilet since that is the first thing you see and maybe use the extra space beyond the shower for cabinets or shelving.