Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
staceynyc

Mixing metals in my bathroom- need help soon

staceynyc
3 years ago

Hi, I’m re-doing the powder room. We are installing a grey vanity with white countertop. I originally bought gold fixtures (faucet, light sconces, mirror, towel holder, chandelier, will swap out drawer pulls for gold). I’ll post what I bought down below. Now I’m thinking the metal may be too matchy-matchy. Should I swap out the faucet, sconces and towel holder for chrome? I’m wondering if that would like better. I’d like to keep the mirror in gold because it’s harder to return. The contractor is working this week so i need to decide relatively soon. Thanks!

Comments (35)

• PRO
    Lisa Caudill Designs
    3 years ago

I think it will look great! Can't wait to see it all done!

• staceynyc
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Lisa, thanks for commenting. Just to clarify , you think I should leave it with all gold?

• flygirl519
    3 years ago

Mixing metals is fine in a larger space IMO but I think when they are all together in a confined area of a vanity they should remain the same. Gold or chrome although my personal preference is the warmer gold.

• PRO
    Lisa Caudill Designs
    3 years ago

Yes I think it will look great, including the gold cabinet hardware.

• PRO
    Lisa Caudill Designs
    3 years ago

Do you have a picture of the hardware?

• staceynyc
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks so much for the advice. I haven’t picked the drawer pulls yet but I’m thinking gold in a simple shape like the one I will post below. I’m also thinking one of these two chandeliers. Any preference for chandelier?

• PRO
    Lisa Caudill Designs
    3 years ago

I like the handles and both chandeliers. I think the one with all the crystals will make a beautiful design when on.

It may be the picture but is the faucet a little darker gold than everything else?

Do you mind sharing floor and wall plans too?

• staceynyc
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks so much for the advice. I haven’t picked the drawer pulls yet but I’m thinking gold in a simple shape like the one I will post below. I’m also thinking one of these two chandeliers. Any preference for chandelier?

• staceynyc
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I plan on doing the floor in a herringbone tile. White with some grey in it. I’ll attach a picture of the tile but it’s not herringbone in the picture. For walls I was thinking BM simply white. I haven’t thought much of the walls yet but I’m not really a wallpaper person and we are trying to keep the budget down so we aren’t doing tile on the walls either. Any suggestions are welcome!

• PRO
    Lisa Caudill Designs
    3 years ago

Simply White or Chantilly Lace, I would sample both in the room before deciding. A nice piece of gold/grey art would compliment nicely

• PRO
    Lisa Caudill Designs
    3 years ago

For other options that are bolder and may be out of youth comfort zone but worth mentioning to make it even more of a wow room is either a gold wallpaper (I know not really your thing feel free to skip consideration) or black walls with gold metallic and white art. one even compliments the one chandelier choice

• PRO
    Lisa Caudill Designs
    3 years ago

your comfort zone not youth, darn autocorrect

• staceynyc
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you. These are great ideas!

• staceynyc
    Original Author
    3 years ago

My inspiration was originally this picture. Do you think art on the walls will compliment this look?

• PRO
    Lisa Caudill Designs
    3 years ago

Yes. Its a personal preference if you like the additional details or want to keep it minimal. Everyone has their own "Happy Place". If it makes you feel happy then its the right choice, if you don't like it or it doesn't sit right then its not right for you.

If you go into a space do you feel better if there is art and design to look at or do you like a cleared open space to make you feel joy?

• aziline
    3 years ago

I say go for it. In my half bath I kept it all brushed nickel. But in my master (that isn't huge) I did Gold for the pulls, faucet, chandelier and then polished nickel for the rest.

• PRO
    LilDesignWorks
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Go for gold all the way!! It will be a stunning room. The gold is not too much because it is a soft champagne not bright gold. And offset nicely by the gray. Art if desired should be very modern and on the opposite wall perhaps above toilet. It doesnt look like it has a good spot on the walls adjacent to vanity. Look for an art with a portrait layout(taller rather than wider) that pulls together gray and gold and looks nice on White walls. Below example can be ordered in a variety of sizes and would work next to a plant if desired

https://www.amazon.com/Hand-Painted-Paintings-Botanical-Abstract-Restaurant/dp/B07QJ2KCZ7

• alwayscold
    3 years ago

@Lisa Caudill Designs great suggestions!! Love all the things you suggested for her!

• staceynyc
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you all! So helpful!

• staceynyc
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Sorry for so many questions. Since I’m likely going with the crystal chandelier, does one of these sconces go better than the other? Does it matter if a sconce is frosted glass with that chandelier? Also, the frosted sconce is slightly “yellower”. Should I stay away from that? I’ll post the two sconce selections and the chandelier here. Thanks so much!

• PRO
    Lisa Caudill Designs
    3 years ago

The sconces seem more yellow gold that the other fixtures. I think these would be good

https://www.lampsplus.com/products/george-kovacs-saber-12-and-one-half-inch-high-honey-gold-wall-sconce__y4449.html

• staceynyc
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks. Unfortunately that sconce seems to be out of stock everywhere. Do you think frosted glass goes well with that chandelier?

• PRO
    Lisa Caudill Designs
    3 years ago

Yes

• staceynyc
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Actually just found it on build.com. 😃 but still wondering if frosted goes with that chandelier. Thanks so much! I’m grateful for this help.

• PRO
    LilDesignWorks
    3 years ago

Is the chandelier also for the bathroom? Where is it placed? How low? Is it going to be seen at the same time with the sconces?

• staceynyc
    Original Author
    3 years ago

It’s all for the bathroom we can place the chandelier flush mount or lower. It’s all adjustable. Any thoughts on where it should be placed?

• PRO
    LilDesignWorks
    3 years ago

If this is a smaller powder room wondering if the chandelier is needed since you have sconces. While I LOVE both choices suggested by Lisa above, you may consider just going for a simple flushmount fixture complementary to the sconces

• PRO
    LilDesignWorks
    3 years ago

In general a ceiling light should be centered in the room

• PRO
    LilDesignWorks
    3 years ago

It looks amazing!! @staceynyc

• Laura Mac
    3 years ago

Great job! What a transformation!

• PRO
    Lisa Caudill Designs
    3 years ago

its beautiful!

• flygirl519
    3 years ago

this is beautiful stacey and you have inspired me to fix up my own bathroom. I love the gold fixtures. A question for you--- outside this room, are all your fixtures ( things like door handles, lights etc in nearby rooms the same gold or are the metals in other areas of your home different. If so, what other metals are in nearby rooms.

• staceynyc
    Original Author
    3 years ago

When we moved in all the doorknobs were gold. Right outside the bathroom we have silver toned fixtures so the metals are kind of mixed. At first I was bothered by that and was going to change it all but I’m actually ok with the mix and haven’t changed anything.

• flygirl519
    3 years ago

thanks stacey that helps a lot. that is exactly my situation and have brushed nickel everywhere else -even the interior door handle to the bathroom.