Can someone help me with this space ?

Summer K

Need help with design in this space . It’s right when you walk in the front door

• Summer K

Breakfast nook color

• bluemarble

Your dining room looks nice with the botanical art and accent wall. What's the name of the color? The blue isn't coming through in the photo for me.

Wow, 12 feet high ceilings. I thought they were taller which is why I was leaning toward taller shelving units, but you could just add art above shorter units if you had your heart set on a particular look. I like the shelves from CB2 in your inspiration photo, and realize I posted similar ones that aren't really all that much cheaper. I was just on a hunt to find something with attached closed storage and/or slight design differences (upturned shelf edges, honey finish, gold frame) . Not sure what the budget is, but I like CB2's with the drawers as well. The one on the left is in your inspiration photo. These are more simple without the X on the back.

Can someone help me to design my dining room?

I have got new mirror since the old one was broken. Exact same mirror. That table has a 60" glass table top. I removed the glass because was afraid of breaking during my changes. I have been thinking of changing the curtains. I think it's a great idea to have teal color on my curtains. The curtains are only on the corners of the windows is because I have a beautiful view looking to my pool and mountains. Also was thinking on putting acrylic chairs., they are really expensive:(

Can someone help me redesign my current Kitchen Layout

Thank you, the stove and fridge can not fit on the same wall on the left hand side, and I think if I put it on the wall with the windows it will stick out and I will lose valuable counterspace. Unfortunately I can't take out the small window on the left my husband refuses to remove it, he thinks it allows the kitchen to have more natural light and it's the one area I can't seem to budge him on.

can someone help me with a Silestone colour dilemma!!

I always recommend people go to fabricator and see actual slabs so you can fully understand look. You can't accurately select from small sample. Hope you can put your order on hold until you can see slab along with samples of other elements in space you are placing it. Good luck.

can someone help me dissect this pic?

Sophie Wheeler - my doors' hinges appear to be real brass by their look and feel, with a very nice patina of 25+ years. But all the door knobs are frozen in time in 1990s with the too-shiny brass-look finish, and they are egg-shaped to boot. I wanted to change out the door knobs to something more current, but thought that regrettably meant I'd have to change out the nice real-brass door hinges to match. It looks like I need to think about just changing out the knobs (and the strike plates) to real brass and spending the $$ on that. Glad I saw this thread. (apologies for going OT on this thread)
  • Summer K

The width of that long wall from that corner to one of the corners by the window is 14ft . Thanks about the breakfast nook comment . The color is storm cloud from sherwin Williams - like a bluish / gray . Thanks , I’m taking a look now at shelving to see which one I like that you sent and to see if I need one or 2 ! I thought about a portrait wall somewhere with some cute letters and so forth too for the wall . ?

• Summer K

And I love all those book shelves you sent ! Good choices

• Summer K

Alana - I know those floor cushions . But I have to have height for the dog :( we have some bushes in front of that low window and if I set him on the ground with cushions he won’t see anything . Thanks

• bluemarble

That little space isn't so little! Storm Cloud is a pretty color. If it's visible from this area, you might want to incorporate some of that color.

If you want large letter art, are you up for a modern gallery wall? This is so cool...I might like it even more if it were metal.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/745346349/large-wooden-letters-for-wall-mid?ref=hp_rv-1&frs=1

Are you going for a particular style in your decor? Maybe you really wanted those white cubbies, and I'm on the wrong track haha. Although, I think that letter could work in a lot of scenarios. Here are a couple of examples of using letter art in an interesting way...

• bluemarble

Oops, we crossed posts. So, you do like those modern shelves...good to know!

• Summer K

Now I’m more confused! I love all the book shelves but I do like that second gallery wall idea you sent . Not so much the big letter :( sorry . I tend to like farmhouse and traditional look . Yes it’s a large awkward long space . So I guess it depends on which look will look the best !

• Summer K

I do want to get the bi-fold plain shutters too for that window

• Summer K

could I do the chair in that left corner like this with an ottoman and cute little pics on each side of windows or on one side ? My sides are flush with window tho not ottagon . Then I’m still trying to decide what shelfs out of those you sent for that long wall . I will do a rug to with ottoman to bring it farther out . Didn’t want everything lines against walls .

• bluemarble

Thought you might want to see this possibility. Sorry if it looks more like shabby chic. Just wanted to know how you felt about a vintage piece below your gallery wall. I had to find one that was the right angle to fit in the mock-up, but there are many styles and colors to choose from on etsy, ebay or even your local flea market. People have good luck on Facebook Marketplace as well. Would you be able to see this gallery wall from the dining nook? Wonder if it will seem redundant to have two gallery walls. The other is considered a grid, I suppose.

This was to show the bifold shutters with framed art. If the shutters are opened and folded back, they most likely will cover the art? I tried a less modern orb chandelier. Oops, you can still the other one underneath.

Something like these might be nice. The color of the second one might work with Storm Cloud. That particular one is sold. Some of the listings say they can customize one for you.

Summer K thanked bluemarble
  • Summer K

I love those buffets but yes can see the gallery wall in nook so May look too much the same - I’m thinking the shelving after you saying that. Hard Bc that space is so open with living - then I have a couch with 2 chairs so didnt want it to look the same so I opted of just 1 chair in that area .

• Summer K

I do like the shutters

• Summer K

ok so I’m still trying to decide ! It’s so hard picking out things - thanks for helping ! which idea do yall prefer for my weird area ?

• bluemarble

Hi Summer. Can you post a photo that shows this area in relation to other areas?

• Summer K

I sure can when I get home ! Thanks

• bluemarble

This one gets great reviews. It feels a little more modern and airy, but still suited for a farmhouse vibe. Decent price and size to help fill up that wall especially if you use two. Reviewers say the wood leans more toward a gray wash, and something tells me you might be ok with that?

https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/joss-main-cosner-etagere-bookcase-w004216726.html

Summer K thanked bluemarble
  • bluemarble

Picture ledges?

Weathered wood with wall sconces...

Painted white...

Summer K thanked bluemarble
  • Summer K

Ohhh I think I really like the white picture ledges ?! What you think ? looks good in pic with a chair and rug . I also like those shelves but Idk think rather ledges .

• Summer K

Could I put family pics on there ?

• bluemarble

Oh, you don’t want to put the exact same picture on there nine times?😂

Definitely could put family photos there. I sensed that’s what you wanted and thought maybe the ledges could support family photos and art in a way that wouldn’t be a redundant gallery wall.

I believe a pro might discourage a bunch of family photos in a prominent living space, and would suggest they go in a family room. This seems like a great area for them to me.

Summer K thanked bluemarble
  • bluemarble

I think we need a bigger rug. Do you have something in mind?

• Summer K

I’m actually loving everything you have shown me - I appreciate your opinion and everyone else because I’m so bad a design lol .. I love the burlap round rug or a cowhide ? do you think a 5 ft pic ledge would be good ? With plant stand on on side .

• bluemarble

Not sure about the length of the ledges. I like how long they seem in this photo, and was picturing them spanning the wall from the corner to within three or so feet of where there is that break in the ceiling? Again, personal preference. You might prefer them to be pulled away from the corner a bit. The hardware store could probably cut them the length you want (8-10 feet?), then you could paint them white. Or hire it out. If you want shorter ones, you would definitely want to add tall plants and/or a lamp to help fill the gaps.

As an example, I'd say these ledges are about five feet wide and the wall about eight feet. I believe you said your wall is 14 feet wide. If you like this look, you probably want the ledges to be longer than five feet.

Summer K thanked bluemarble
  • bluemarble

You could use blue painter's tape to mark on the wall the different lengths and locations of the ledges to see what you like best...

Summer K thanked bluemarble
  • Summer K

These are some rugs I liked

• Summer K

After looking back on everything I really like the picture ledges if I can make those work with a chair and etc .. no but

If not I do like the blue book case but maybe in white . I’m sending pics of my favs :

• Summer K

After looking back on everything I really like the picture ledges if I can make those work with a chair and etc .. if not I do really like the blue color bookcase but maybe white . but these are my favorite ideas I’m sending :

• bluemarble

Here are two white etageres, cowhide rug, stacked art next to window and tall plant in corner...

One etagere...

• Summer K

Thank you - I def do not think one of those shelves Is enough for that area . Would I put the chair in a corner or in front some ? Hard to tell by pics .. I still like those photo wall ledges too - what is your opinion ? Seems like you have a good design eye :)

• bluemarble

I like both choices. Are you drawn more to the idea of having storage, or do you just need a place for family photos? I like to see things side-by-side...

I think the ledges offer an open minimalist feeling with a great way to highlight photos and art. The etageres give you more storage and a cozier feel that seems more suited for the stacked art flanking the window. And yes, the chair would sit in front of the etageres. The ledges can be placed lower as well to give reason to bump out the chair for that dimension you were looking for in the room.

If you're not feeling completely jazzed by either choice, we can certainly explore more options. You could hang one of these!

How about a jukebox?

• Summer K

Thanks ! I def wanting more of a loungy /nook area but do need to have somewhere for my pic frames of all my family lol

• bluemarble

The ledges are nice if you want to mix in some larger frames. The etageres are nice if you want to mix in other objects. Of course, you can put other objects on the ledges too if they are deep enough.

Summer K thanked bluemarble
  • Summer K

Have not made any purchases yet - still trying to decide between that ledge and book shelf . I think i like the jute rugs better than cowhide ! Would I still do a curio cabinet in that corner or would that look like too much shelving ? My only concern with the ledges is that it could look too busy with different pics ?

• bluemarble

Hi, Summer. Here is a curio cabinet, jute rug and your cube storage back for a visual. Do you have any idea how many photos you want to display here? Are you planning to buy new frames?

Do you like any of these photo display ideas? The ladder is really fun.

Honeycomb arrangement

The ledges can seem less busy if there is some uniformity in the way the photos are framed and arranged. These all have similar frames. You could string fairy lights along the shelves to highlight the photos at night.

Summer K thanked bluemarble
  • bluemarble

Forgot this one...

Summer K thanked bluemarble
  • Summer K

Hi - I have some regular frames sitting out about 6-8 . I need to get new matching ones if I do the ledge . Mom are professional pics tho - just family pics for trips and nieces,, nephes and vacations !! i found a taller plant stand on Amazon so I went ahead and purchased that !! I love the picture ladder - I saw one at Kirkland for 80 . Where would I put that ? stlll do love that little nook area you sent with the rug being larger

• Summer K

Only purchase so far

• Summer K

What size round rug you think?

• Summer K

I found this shelf at home depot ? Looks similar style In pic

• bluemarble

I like your plant stand. Were you thinking of getting two of the Home Depot bookshelves? I was thinking of the ladder on the wall facing the big wall if you didn't go with the corner unit. What are the dimensions of the nook? That would determine the size of the rug.

• Summer K

Thanks ! I saw it on amazon . The grey wash shelf at home depot is 55.74 width and 47.638 height . The ikea white one I found too, like in that pic is 77cm (30.3/8) width and 147cm height .

• bluemarble

Thank you for that information, Summer. Can you measure the room for me? The width of each of the three walls.

Summer K thanked bluemarble
  • Summer K

Yes - I got it measured . The wall that the window is on is 10ft long and 6 inches . The long empty one wall is 14ft long . The short wall is 4ft !

• bluemarble

Ok...new graphic with white cube storage vs Home Depot units and round vs oval rug. I like 7' rugs, but let me know if you want something different. You might want a floor lamp somewhere near the chair.

• bluemarble

This one didn't post, so here it is...

• Summer K

Thanks so much !! So difficult to device this space ! I do prefers the 7 inch round rug ! plus I like my wood floors :) votes on you guys preference so I can get these pieces ordered !!

• bluemarble

I feel like the width of the Home Depot units is more proportional to the width of the wall, and the oval rug works well size-wise and helps define the shape of the room. At least in the graphic. Real life may be a different story. If you want the white cubes, the round rug seems to better fit in with their size. I just worry the smaller elements would get swallowed up by the large scale of the space. Just something to think about. Obviously we can look at rectangular rugs, but I got the feeling you wanted something less angular.

Summer K thanked bluemarble
  • Summer K

• bluemarble
    yesterday

I see you made some decisions! What do you think? Can we see the view looking straight at the big wall?