Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mr_bill_m

ID a plant - guesses are free - Part 2 (a different hoya this time)

Bill M.
3 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

A friend sent me a plant from Florida, to PA, which was in the mail for almost two weeks thanks to our USPS service. They arrived in pretty rough shape, but I've had it in water and Leca for the last three weeks, and hoping that it will survive. It's not withering so I'm hopeful.

Unfortunately, no one seems to know the ID of this guy, and since I only have a leaf picture, I'm just throwing it out there to see if any of you can make an educated guess of who he or she may be. Remember, guesses are free, so take as many as you like.

Here it is, Florida sun damaged and all.

A slightly different view

Thoughts?

Comments (36)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    3 years ago

Are we allowed to see the upper surface of the leaf?

• Bill M.
    Original Author
    3 years ago

That is the top surface of the leaf. The bottoms are below it slightly out of focus. Hazzard a guess? Win a lollypop! 🤣

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    3 years ago

Very odd veining for a top surface. Is it slightly succulent in texture? There’s a Name that Plant forum here where you might get an answer.

• popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    3 years ago

Well we know it's a hoya right? Does your friend have a list of potential IDs? If not, then I probably won't be as good at ID'ing as those who have been collecting for longer. I'm going to take a stab at it though that it could be verticilliata or heartleaf parasitica.

• Bill M.
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I like your suggestions popmama. Now I've got something to search for. Unfortunately, my friend can't ID it either cause it may have been gifted to him a long time ago too.

I'm hoping it roots. If it does, I know I can grow it out and maybe get a better idea. There are so many hoyas, and varients, that coming to a hard ID is difficult. In the mean time I'll just call him George.

Anyone else? Remember, guesses are free! 🤣

3 years ago

I'm sure that some of the collectors may have better guesses. I know there is a Facebook group that will help with hoya IDs but I don't do FB.

Even without a name, it's a real "looker". I love parasitica for its thick, succulent, heart-shaped leaves. Yours has that same "look" to it.

Bill M. thanked popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
  • ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    3 years ago

my friend can't ID it either cause it may have been gifted to him a long time ago too.

==>> could your friend provide pix of the plant in better shape.. or even in flower???

======

I've had it in water and Leca for the last three weeks

===>> why have you not potted it yet ... sitting in water is not the best for it ...

ken

• SoCal Stewart (San Diego, Ca Zone 10A/10B)
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Regarding leca, here is a link you might find useful.

• sd2102 (8b PNW)
    3 years ago

Hoya pachyclada?

• moonwolf_gw
    3 years ago

I'm thinking it could be Hoya citrina.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• Bill M.
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Lots of guesses - I'm going to purchase a lot of lollypops!

Once the mystery hoya roots and begins to grow, I'll keep posting pictures and we'll see if we can arrive at a name. Unfortunately, I don't think it will flower this first year so I may have to wait till next year for a positive ID. While we guess away, George is snickering and thinking this is all very funny!

• sunfleurpower
    3 years ago

Here's a very wild guess: hoya dolichosparte

I was watching hoya videos yesterday while folding laundry and one of the youtubers went to a hoya nursery in Indonesia and showed dolichosparte which reminded me of the raised veins on your cutting. That should make for some interesting research!

Now I wait patiently for my lolli....

• Bill M.
    Original Author
    3 years ago

A Hoya nursery?! I think I'd move in. Set up a little homeless tent in an obscure corner and each nigh sneak another cutting or two into my abode! Ahhh, pure paradise.

• Bill M.
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I have an ID! Drumm roll please.....

It's.....

hoya loyceandrewsiana!

I didn't even know there was such a Hoya - duh!

I have it in a very large chunky orchid mix. I water rooted it, then just potted it up yesterday. I'm hoping it likes the mix as it's very large chunks of orchid bark, Pearlite and charcoal. I guess time will tell.

2 years ago

This website says the following"

"David Liddle confirmed the name latifolia as the name of the plant that has been known variously as IML-88 (its correct collection number), loyceandrewsiana, and diversifolia-B. It has huge round leaves, apparently up to 10" x 10"

to be honest, the pointed leaf doesn't ring true with latifolia to me. But if that is what you have, that's a very highly sought-after hoya due to the enormous leaf size. It's basically like winning the hoya lottery.

• Bill M.
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I checked with my friend this morning and he seems to think he gave me the correct name, but he also told me it could be something he purchased years ago and just either forgot about or confused with something else. (gee-that helps! 🙄) I guess I'll just have to try and grow it out more and see if it shows any truly identifying characteristics. For now, whatever it's called, it's mine. Mine I tell you! All mine! Uhahahaha..... 😁

2 years ago

I certainly don't want to dispute your friend's ID. If he acquired it, then hopefully he has the ID correct.

And yes, it is all yours! That's for sure. And it has a wonderful leaf shape. I love that sort of heart-shaped leaf. Hence the reason I bought parasitica.

It looks like latifolia aka loyceandrewsiana has a very distinct flower. So if it ever blooms that will be a great clue!

• Bill M.
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Someday, if it blooms, we'll know. Until then he shall be called Freddy.

Freddy says call me whatever you like, just give me water, food, warmth and sunshine and I'll be fine! Freddy appears to be very pragmatic and wise.

I like Freddy. 🤣

(don't worry popmama, he could be wrong since he said he's had it for years, so whatever it is, I enjoy it for itself. To make it thrive and bloom, that's all I ask)

Update - I believe you are correct popmama. All the research I've done on hoya loyceandrewsiana shows a totally different type of leaf. I don't think Freddy is who my friend thinks he is. It wouldn't surprise me if Freddy was in the witness protection program and living an alternate identity!

The search continues....

• Bill M.
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi everyone. I'm back again, just had to deal with some side effects but I can't think of anything that cheers me up better than taking care of my plants. I really enjoy the plants as well as the friendship here on this site.

So, I noticed one more of my noid plants has apparently rooted and sent up a vine. Whoopee! Below is a picture of it. Any idea as who it could possibly be? The leave is approx 5" long and maybe 1.5-2" in width.

Possible ideas? The leaves are very sturdy and thick.

Here's another angle of the other side. I laid the vine in this super chunky mix, and it rooted in the middle.

Remember, all guesses are free and the winner gets bragging rights! 🤣

Update - after using my Google fu, could it possibly be Hoya polystachya? The leaf looks similar. Thoughts?

Update 2 - I haven't a clue! I think polystachya is probably not the answer.

Frustrating....

Popmama - my previous plant, I think you are exactly right in that it is a heart leaf parasitia. It looks almost exactly like pictures I've researched on the internet. Thank you.

• Bill M.
    Original Author
    2 years ago

the first plant in this post has bloomed. Attached are some pictures of the blooms. shoving my nose directly into the plant, it's fragrant, but due to the large size of my nose I believe I've sucked all the fragrance out of it!

Looking at the blooms, does anyone have a guess as to which hoya this might be? As I mentioned, pictures of the leaves are in the first image in this thread but I've included on in this session too.

Thanks....

It's no longer in Leca but was transferred into a chunky mix a few weeks ago.

Thanks....

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    2 years ago

Bill, Not sure, but I want a piece..lol

It almost looks like a pachyclada!! One I have always been looking for..Ugh

• Bill M.
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I was thinking it may be a Verticillata, but have no idea! I've been pouring over hundreds of images on the internet trying to discern the blooms and leaves but so many of them look so similar that it's almost impossible for me, an untrained novice, to determine it's true name. I'll just call him Ralph for now! Ralph does have a very slight fragrance. Later on, if the sun decides to show itself, and some more blooms open up, I'll try taking more pictures and maybe that'll help me narrow down the searching.

Hope all is good with you Mike. Stay safe and stay well.....

• HU-939861793
    2 years ago

99 percent sure its hoya latifolia!

Bill M. thanked HU-939861793
  • HU-939861793
    2 years ago

the blooms do look a bit more yellow but that could be the amount of sun or other conditions

• Bill M.
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hu, really?! That never entered my mind! Looking up the pictures, I can now see exactly what you're saying. I'll add the other 1% and say we have a match! Latafolia it is. Thank you so very much.

Now to get this guy to grow some leaves! It's been rooting for a while and produced the peduncle and flowers, but it hasn't started vining or throwing out leaves yet. Hopefully they will begin soon. I can't wait to finally get to see some huge leaves starting to form.

I never expected to own a Latafolia, so I need to make sure it gets a lot of tlc coming it's way. It's in a very chunky orchid mix and fed every two weeks with Dyna-gro orchid food. Hopefully the conditions are suitable to it and it'll start taking off quickly now.

Thank you again, I am really happy! 😁

• Bill M.
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ut oh - someone mentioned it may be a pottsii. I have to say, it looks more like a pottsii than a latifolia. Now I'm really confused.

• sd2102 (8b PNW)
    2 years ago

It doesn't look like latifolia to me. The two cuttings I've had (RIP) were much rounder.

It might be pottsii. I thought it was pachyclada but the corona color seems much deeper than what you have.

• Bill M.
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I've come to the conclusion that it is one of the pottsii varients. Most likely - pottsii chiang mai.

(even if it isn't, it shall forevermore and henceforth be known by the moniker pottsii chiang mai.) 😁

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    2 years ago

Bill, It's quite unique and I love it Bill what ever it is. I like the thickness of the vine and the color flowers. Nice

• Bill M.
    Original Author
    2 years ago

OK folks - here's another one of my No ID's. Attached are four pictures, the images are similar but slightly different angles. Hopefully someone will have a clue as to what this plant is.

Thanks for the help....

Any ideas will help. Thanks again....

• Rachel (zone 3b)
    2 years ago

Hello! My best guess is sp. Thailand AG02-01 (verticillata sp. aff). Pakehas-Hoya has some comparison photos. Close?

2 years ago

How did you end up with so many NOIDs? I'm too new to venture guesses on those. I know there is a hoya ID group on Facebook that could help. I don't do FB though so I can't guide you there.

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    2 years ago

Bill, very nice!!

• Bill M.
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Popmama - a long time ago I was on some forum and one guy told me that when spring rolls around to give him a shout and he'd send me some hoyas. He said he lives in Florida and they grew wild in his yard. Well. whenever someone offers me a free cutting, I don't reject it. I texted him and he remembered me. Turns out we are both Veterans, so we struct a bond immediately. Long story short, he sent me some cuttings, which I am still trying to root some. They are unbelievably slow! Hopefully once I get them rooted and growing, I can then offer to share them with others. Problem is, I've only found some ID's, others will be known as Sammy, Fred, Linda, Judy, Rich ....

• G Fox
    2 years ago

Hi, Plantnet is a very good app to ID plants..

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County