Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_47798884

SOLVED: white solar shades - your experience?

User
3 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I'm waffling between 5% or 3%. My main goal is to cut the morning glare that reflects off of furniture --so I can sit facing it and not be blinded by my coffee table. I'm worried that 3% may obstruct the view too much. but I'm worried that 5% may not cut the glare enough. the 6" sample swatches are not big enough to really get a good idea. I'd like to ask about real user's personal experiences.

My questions for those who have them: what percentage of opacity did you get? do you wish you got something different? Will you post a pic (and tell me what % they are)?

note: I know white shades don't lend as good of a view as dark, and I also know that when the sun directly hits them they seem more opaque. I'm ok with that. I still want white.

Comments (17)

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    3 years ago

Jefferson · More Info

Smith · More Info

I have used white several times and like them, I can't answer your question about the %...

User thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • User
    Original Author
    3 years ago

those are really lovely. I like how they make the room glow.

• User
    Original Author
    2 years ago

for those of you needing real world inspiration photos, this portfolio is very helpful: https://www.stoneside.com/idea-gallery. click on a photo to see the exact product used, including level of transparency for the solar shades. this definitely gives me a better idea of how they seem in different conditions.

I also spoke with my rep and she sent me twelve swatches to tape together into one huge one. I was able to get a much better idea of how effective it would be for glare. I feel like I can finally order with confidence! I'll update when I have them installed. I'm choosing 5% white.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    2 years ago

Trillium I have used Budget Blinds and I find their salespeople incredibly helpful, upfront, and they create the estimate while you stand there. The install fee is ridiculously low and it’s warranteed. Not everything is best online. I know we get spoiled being able to shop from our comfy chair!

• User
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yeah, I've used many of the online blinds companies because I'm good at installing my own, and it's so tempting to save a ton of money. I've used Select Blinds, Blinds.com and Blinds Chalet. the downside is that they're really bad at showing pics of the details. I need to know exactly what the header rails look like! or in one case, I was shocked to learn that with one set of mini blinds, you couldn't tilt them closed backwards, something I always do with those types of blinds. UGH. and with a couple sets of cellular shades, I went with Select Blinds own generic brand and they were so janky. their warranties suck -- replacement with the same exact product, no refunds (not surprising). I tried to get them to give me store credit so I could upgrade to a better quality product, but I could not convince them.

So my advice is to stick with the brands that are known to be good (like Levolor, Hunter, etc), and see if you can find them somewhere on display (like at lowes). Then shop around for the best price!

One caveat: I did order my new solar shades from Blinds Chalet (their own brand), because I had already had a set from 10 years ago and already knew they were good.

• User
    Original Author
    2 years ago

trillium44, I ordered the Sunlera shades. many years ago I got Smart Weave but they don't offer those anymore. but still, I loved what I got back then so I felt I could trust them again. I lived in that previous apartment for 7 years and the Smart Weave shade still looked brand new by the time we moved out.

I see from a different thread that you were worried about shipping. I can confirm that my Blinds Chalet order is being delivered by FedEx. I'm sorry you've had so many problems with them!

Also re: customer service: they have a chat line that is very responsive. a real person, not a bot. I asked them if they could do a metal chain for me but they said no, the chains are plastic in a matching color. if I don't like it, it should be easy to swap them out. hardware stores sell bulk chain pretty cheap, you just have to get the right gauge.

Anyway, my shades arrive soon and I'll probably have them installed next week. once I get them up, I'll post an update with details!

• User
    Original Author
    2 years ago

oh, I re-read your post-- regarding your trouble reaching the chain. our previous shades had the same issue, they were set at the back of a really deep countertop, totally unreachable. I used to grab a long handle scrub brush we kept by the sink and used it like a hook to grab the chain and bring it to me (the chain was long and not tied down at the bottom). you could always create a long hook out of strong wire or something, and find a convenient place to stash it away nearby.

not sure if they offer a dual inside mount, that's something you'll need to discuss if you ever get a hold of the reps.

• User
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I've had dozens of fedex deliveries during the pandemic, and all of them have been fine. sometimes a day late, but nothing else wrong. in fact, they are the only ones to consistently obey the note I have on my permanent record where I direct them to hide packages in a specific place. all of the other delivery outlets have been mixed by comparison. these days Amazon has been the worst because they use non-professional delivery drivers that are pushed to horrifying extremes to do their jobs.

but I'm sorry you are having problems with fedex losing your packages, that's really awful.

if it helps, my blinds chalet order happened super fast and I'm very sure they were assembled and shipped from the US. I ordered them Apr 28 and they shipped May 3, Fedex tracking tells me it was picked up in San Diego.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    2 years ago

Thanks for the update!

• Lizzie Borden
    2 years ago

@User Just moved into a new home and need to cover so many windows. I just started looking into Solar Shades and found your thread. I'm going to use the link you provided above to research and decide what opacity I need. Thank you!

• bardzil
    2 years ago

SeattleMCM - how are the 5% at blocking heat?

• luvcolor10b
    2 years ago

Yes, I am wondering the same thing . . .

• User
    Original Author
    2 years ago

terrific! better than the dark brown ones. I also loved how the living room would be so much brighter than with the dark shades. and even though the view through them isn't as good, I think they're beautiful. the white goes with my decor so much better. I'm glad I switched!

I offered up the old shades on my local FB Buy Nothing group, and 15 people wanted to take them. yay for keeping things out of the landfill!

• tayray
    last year

SeattleMCM, thanks for sharing your experience! I'm in the process of shopping for dual shades that have a solar shade and a blackout shade. Do you find the solar shades at 5% offer privacy during the day? (I know they won't at night which is one reason why we're doing dual shades.) If you're standing outside your house, can you see inside with the shades drawn during the day?

• User
    Original Author
    last year

Honestly, I don't know-- my window is several stories off the ground.

5% is a bit more opaque than sheer curtains, if that gives you an idea. Have you stood outside a house during the day with sheers drawn? Even on a cloudy day, it's pretty hard to tell what's going on indoors. But I wouldn't stand naked in front of them or anything.

• tayray
    last year

That does help. Thank you!