0

Spencer Betz
last modified: January 5, 2015
So, very good friends of mine moved to the Yucatan. After a year, they decided to come back to California. They Skyped me 6 weeks before coming back because the 'wife' had found this Rococo bedroom set that she just had to have. Now, there's no FedEx, Wire or Mail service at Playa Del Carmen where they were. The wife begged me to go pay for this set that was advertised on Craigslist for $3000 'hand painted, from Italy, cost $15,000 new. ... I say no, but the husband Skypes me the next morning and after much debate back and forth with me repeating over and over 'You are moving into an apartment!!! You can't afford it AND it won't fit... He to begs me to please just go pay for it and they will repay me as soon as they get here. I looked at this bedroom set and thought it the ugliest think I had ever seen... Look like a dated set from some 80's Italian mobster movie to me... I buckled and went and paid for it. Of course, as soon as they got here, they stated they had run into additional expenses and asked if I would take payments over the next several months...

Hindsight is 20/20... I said 'No... that I wouldn't have bought that for myself and now they want to make payments?' SO.. it is sitting in my garage and every time I go to get in my car not only do I have to look at it, it is a reminder that it ended a friendship of 20 years...

I put it on Craigslist... but no offers... go figure... this is a specialty item and you either love it or hate it... Thinking maybe if I painted it, it might grow on me, I called a couple of furniture re-finishers and both said they wouldn't touch it, that it's a work of art... Well, it's not art to me the way it sits.

I'm moving into a new house I bought in just less than two weeks... SO... I decided to turn to HOUZZ members for advice. I've read about a lacquer made by Amy Howard that is suppose to be easy to use. But even then... what to do with this thing... I've decided that if i can figure out what to do with it to make it gorgeous, I will put it in my new and very large master suite... I'm including additional photos that show my new bedroom & bath... The room is even larger than it appears and has 9' ceilings... Okay Members... bring it on!
Comments (10K)
  • licksch
    Yes... I feel nostalgic when I think about the good times we had here on this thread. It was unique.
  • licksch
    Best wishes on your journey to better health, Moggie.
  • Depo
    Merry Christmas everyone! Spencer, I hope you had fun caroling Thurs night and were able to stay dry!
  • zazfuzzroc

Merry Christmas everyone! ❤️ Spencer you are missed! Take care...have a great new year!

In relaxation mode for now...lol

• moggie73

Merry Christmas to all of the spencer family. Mr. Mogs & I celebrate every occasion, and sometimes every moment.

I truly love each of you and wish you warmth, safety, peace and outbursts of uncontrollable laughter.

• zazfuzzroc

Moggie! Hi sweetie, How are you? I'm so glad to see you. I hope this New Year brings great things for you and Mr. Moggs. Take care of yourself too... XO (((Hugs))) to you both!

Merry Christmas! :)

• licksch
    Blessings of the New year on you...
  • marjie1059

Glad to see people here are still checking up on things...licksch's thread seems to have disappeared.... :(
    Moggie.....how are you and Mr.?
    I hope each of you had a wonderful Christmas....both Christmas Day and Christmas season, celebrated in a meaningful and joyful way.

• zazfuzzroc

@marjie, are you on an ipad? If you go through the Houzz app, you can access Licksch's thread...she's been having issues with it.

http://www.houzz.com/discussions/888170/displaying-objects-in-small-home

be sure to bookmark it too. :)

• zazfuzzroc

Only works on the app though...

• marjie1059

No, I don't have an ipad, and when I clicked on the link you posted, it did the same ol' "page not found".

• zazfuzzroc

I know Marjie, for some reason, Houzz took it out of circulation...so to speak. :(

• marjie1059

I contacted houzz and asked about it....houzz seems to be on vacation.

• ladma
    This is the answer I received regarding Licksch I submitted the question Dec 19th.
    ( I only popped in here to give you the update. I've been lurking. Bye)

Thank you for reaching out to Houzz Support!

Houzz strives to maintain high-quality standards to ensure the best possible experience for our users and professionals. In the past, we have had issues with the addition of inappropriate or irrelevant content, which impacts the quality of the site. If this content has been removed, we suggest participating in other discussions on our site instead.

Best,
    The Houzz Team
    Houzz | The New Way to Design Your Home
    https://support.houzz.com
  • marjie1059

Hmmm...
    Ladma, I also inquired of houzz what happened. I think the response I got was not a personal one-that is, the computer chose a response that most closely fit the question. When my further questions did not fit their available responses, that was the end of the communication.

If there were inappropriate responses/comments on the thread, I don't know why the commenter was not warned or banned or something. I.e., why couldn't the thread itself have stayed, and the offending comments (I don't recall having seen any, really) simply deleted? Obviously, it was a very popular long-lived thread, so there are many of us who will miss licksch's art and home and garden photos.

• zazfuzzroc

Makes no sense...? I hope Licksch can get some answers..

• licksch
    Rococo-Etts! I agree, Houzz is on holiday. With two sons in technology I was pretty sure at best they would be understaffed. January 4 I will call...meanwhile I am very touched by everyone's concern!!!

Blessings for 2017 on all of you.
    LB Interiors

Happy Happy New Year EVERYONE!!!

• zazfuzzroc

Hi LB, great seeing you! :) Hope all is well with you and yours. :)

• moggie73

Just checked in for a sec. How Happy I am see my dear houzz buddies! (Makes me smile.)

• zazfuzzroc

Hi Moggie! :) Lots of ((hugs)) to you and Mr.Moggs! :)

• Depo

Ditto what Zaz just said Moggie!

• janbhan

Wow, thisl thread is still running! I don't get time to look at everything, and it suddenly popped up. Happy New year, a month late!

We have been alternately traveling and redecorating. Nice shiny guest room, cleared of a mountain of boxes of papers. But what do I do with the remaining eight boxes of assorted junk... They have been moved to my bedroom, the only incentive to get rid of them, but it's so tedious, going through old files in case there is a document that has to be saved. I don't think there is a quick way of doing this, and only I know what to keep. I commandeer GD to tear up paper while I work through the files. The shredder died from overwork. But we are winning.

The travel was good too. We just got back from a 4 day trip to Ooty, a hill station in the Nilgiri mountains in South India. The plains are hot, but as you climb an incredibly steep and twisty road the coconut palms and banana plantations give way to slender supari palms and then to jungle. This is a high tropical rain forest, and some of the best high grown tea in the world is grown here. The tea plantations look like chenille comforters thrown across the steep hillsides, terraced where it is very steep. And it is cool, even chilly. In fact except for the fierce sun (I lived in sunblock! ) it is very English, especially when it rains. The houses look like Swiss chalets though the newer ones are modern blocks. Some are grandeur in miniature, with porticoes and verandas and pretty porches. English imports are daisies, dandelions, elder, roses and apples. They sit oddly with the more exotic rain forest plants.

We stayed with a friend of D2's, a wealthy bachelor who travels non stop and has houses everywhere. Palatial living which was fun for a few days but not good for our waistlines, we have had several lunches and dinners that collectively had more calories than I could count. The hill people walk a lot and stay trim, or maybe they don't eat between these gargantuan meals!

Back home to clear the backlog of cartons and to welcome my sister and her husband for a 3 week stay. He is touring forts in India with a fortress study group, and she is going to chill with us. We will tap our various relatives for access to their clubs, as our Defense club is not open to foreigners without exhaustive paperwork. Otherwise we will eat frugally at home, mindful of our expanding waistlines,

• Depo
    Jan, I always love reading of your travels! I can just picture in my head the countryside. Have a wonderful visit with your sister.
  • marjie1059

I don't understand houzz. Depo's comment showed up in my inbox, but nothing else from January. I don't get it.

Moggie? Any update you want to share? Was Christmas good for you? Thoughts and prayers coming your way, as always. <3

• moggie73

margie, (and all). Thank you so much for asking. Mr. Moggs is home and struggling to regain his muscle strength, depends upon his walker and is officially disabled on paper. I will not settle for such a dismal diagnosis. ( This has sounded to me as a translation for, "Give up.") Nope!

We work on exercise. Now, he can get into the car and we make small trips and joke about him promising not to hang his head out of the window. He is still brilliant, hysterically funny and very patient. He gets a bit stronger everyday.

Our lives have changed so much, almost clarified in a way. We have learned who our friends truly are. Wow, my Mom was right, you can count them in very small numbers.

Our Holidays were special times with our children, for the most part .. Food, laughs and many hugs.

I love that so many here have shared their own struggles and giggles, which is what drew me to this special group. Am thinking about painting again. (Someday,)

Enough about me, I miss you all., Will keep checking during the odd hours.

Smiles.

• Depo

Ahhh moggie, good to hear from you. Mr. will gain his muscle strength back, it just takes time. Mine still hasn't gained his back in his leg from when he tore his quadriceps tendon last April, and he has been going to physical therapy 2 Xs a week! We wish it can happen overnight, but alas... Keep giving him the tender loving care you have been and lots of nutritious food, and he will get there! And for goodness sake, take care of your self!

• BLee

Hi Maggie - we miss you too! Hey, don't all DH's hang their head out of car windows ????

• licksch

Great to get an update! Yes, be hopeful and patient. It is easy to lose and hard to gain back muscle as we age. And so good to hear he remains in good spirits. Love to you both...cannot recall if you are on my card list, but (FYI everyone) I am making cards and sending them out this weekend! Anyone NOT on my list, email me at schlickstudio.com with your address, to get a card.

LB Interiors

So nice to see you all here! My best to all! Be well! Miss you all!

• zazfuzzroc

We miss you too LB! Hope you're doing well. :)

• marjie1059

Thanks for the update, moggie. Yes, it is true that a change in circumstances often is very revealing. I'm glad to hear of his status as "Improving", even though it's slower than you would like. Itemizing the "grateful list" can change, but there can always be a grateful list. We are cheering both of you on as you soldier on. Keep us posted!

• moggie73

I truly like all of you. Recently in the dark of night, I come here, read and smile.

Really do want to know what is going on in each of your lives?

• licksch
    Mailed out your cards the other day...you should get one in a week or so. :)
  • licksch
    RIP Spencer...your spirit lives on, in all the great memories we have of you here! Your Rococo-ettes will mourn the loss of one great woman who lived life large. Blessings on your journey...fare forward, voyager!
  • rredpenn

Heaven just got a lot more interesting, didn't it?

I am sad to hear this. Spencer was a dynamo and one all aspired to befriend. Her attitude towards what's truly important (helping others and making the best of situations) is what I'll remember about her.

And, I will never be able to see leopard-printed anything, or rococco furniture, or yurts, (that goes way back!) or hear the song "Paint it Black" without a wistful smile on my face. Thanks for the laughs and the memories, SB.

• samoken
    My first thread that I felt the need to look over every day, first thing in the morning. Spencer moved on from this thread but she certainly was not forgotten. RIP.
  • nwduck

That is true, sam. This is the first thread I was on that turned into a regular, fun group. I am so, so sorry about Spencer.

• Depo
    This was also the first thread I bookmarked. It became so compelling to follow when Spencer started telling the story of her life. She embraced her past and was not ashamed of the way she needed to move out of her situation at home. I so miss the camaraderie we had on this thread. First we lost Ali and now Spencer. RIP dear angels.
  • licksch
    She was a force to be reckoned with, "a pistol" as my East Coast friend would say.

The leopard was perfect for her.
    LB Interiors

I just recently found out about our Dear Spencer. I am so sad. She had great design sense and knew her style!. I got her. I am so very sorry that I never got to see her of which she invited us several times. We couldn't wait to help her here on houzz and I got excited to see where her creativity would take her next! I am so happy that I wore leopard pants in honour of her, when many of us met in Nashville where she had tried to join us. I had talked to her several times and felt she was a good friend. She is missed! My love to her family!

• Lindsey B
    What about a gun metal metallic? With a dark grey glaze?
  • Lindsey B
    Or like this?
  • licksch
    I hope Spencer is ROFL up there in heaven...but she is likely too busy decorating the place.
  • Depo
    Lol, Licksch! Painting it black, no doubt!
  • marjie1059

Seriously, licksch and depo, do people even read ANY of the previous comments?! smh

• Depo
    No they don't read comments or look to see how many comments there have previously been, Marjie! It drives me nuts! I always want to respond, but if they have not read any previous comments, they are certainly not going to read mine. SMH
    LB Interiors

Lol, Licksch, Depo!!!

• marjie1059

If they don't read any comments, then why bother to comment? I would figure I'm just repeating what someone else already said--and they probably said it better as well. (That's what I always tell my mom when she says I should write a book...who wants to read a book that doesn't have anything new in it?)

Need help with a Houzz order? Call us at 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Sun)