Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindsay_ke

white or stainless steel appliances in this kitchen?

Lindsay K
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I am going to update the lighting fixtures, cabinet pulls, and am most likely getting a new (white/ivory/light-colored countertop). I have to buy appliances right now though, as I don’t have a refrigerator or working dishwasher. What color would you go with? I can’t decide :/ I really prefer white appliances, but I’m also used to having white cabinets and this is my first time having dark-colored cabinets. The original black oven could go any day, so I I am not basing my color choices off of that as I’ll probably replace within the next year or two.

Comments (19)

• latifolia
    3 years ago

My personal preference is stainless, and many buyers, particularly younger ones, seem impressed by stainless. However white would look just as nice in your kitchen with the white countertops. So if you prefer white and aren't planning to sell soon, then go with white!

One caveat: some models, especially the fancier ones, only come in stainless. And appliances in general are in short supply. So make sure the ones you want come in white and are available.

Lindsay K thanked latifolia
  • Lindsay K
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you, @latifolia! Fortunately the things I have picked out are all in stock and available in white or stainless. I have definitely thought of resale! I am hoping to live here for a long time, but you never know.

• HU-187528210
    3 years ago

I like stainless over white.
    Unless you go with cafe, then we might have some rethinking lol!!

Lindsay K thanked HU-187528210
  • kathylawyer
    3 years ago

Stainless

Lindsay K thanked kathylawyer
  • Lindsay K
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@HU-187528210, haha, definitely not. I wish!

• darbuka
    3 years ago

The cabinets are already a very dated style. White appliances will only accentuate that fact. Stainless will be a good update. I don’t see white with the oak stained cabs. Stainless is a better fit.

Lindsay K thanked darbuka
  • mxk3 z5b_MI
    3 years ago

Stainless.

• awm03
    3 years ago

Please forgive my poor photoshopping skills. But just to aid visualization, here are white appliances & new paint (& a free Kitchenaid mixer while we're imagining things) :

Lindsay K thanked awm03
  • sushipup1
    3 years ago

Stainless is reflective and white isn't, not in the same way. Stainless will lighten up the room. I agree that the white appliances make everything look more dated.

Lindsay K thanked sushipup1
  • Lindsay K
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@awm03, wow, thank you!! That’s very helpful :) I was actually wondering what white wainscoting and walls will look like too.

• Jennifer Svensson
    3 years ago

I like black. :) I’d go with stainless over white as well.

Lindsay K thanked Jennifer Svensson
  • Suki Mom
    3 years ago

I like the white appliances. It meshes with the era of the cabinets.

Lindsay K thanked Suki Mom
  • awm03
    3 years ago

You're welcome, Lindsay K.! I confess to actually liking your cabinets. They look so vintage & cottage-y, & the wood grain is warm & rich. Guess I'm just tired of the current trends so these old styles are starting to look fresh again. Anyway, good luck with your new space, & have fun decorating.

Lindsay K thanked awm03
  • Lindsay K
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@awm03, I’m glad you like them! A cottage look is what I’m going to go for :) I don’t mind them! I know the arches aren’t supoosed to be in style anymore, but not all cabinets have to be the same haha.

• Jade Peterson
    3 years ago

Stainless! :) you can’t go wrong with stainless. White looks dated in my opinion.

Lindsay K thanked Jade Peterson
  • kculbers
    3 years ago

Stainless❣️

Lindsay K thanked kculbers
  • arcy_gw
    3 years ago

I'll swim upstream on this one. White is having a come back. Stainless looks industrial to my eye and I will never understand how it became popular. Almond would be my first choice for your kitchen but that is no longer an option from my last shopping experience. White is always right!!

Lindsay K thanked arcy_gw
  • chispa
    3 years ago

Stainless!