Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
will_morgan8

Backsplash tile

Will Morgan
3 years ago

I am trying to decide on a backsplash tile. I initially selected the Hampton marble arabesque which has a glossy finish. I also have a sample of Bianco tumbled marble that is more white and has a matte finish. My cabinets are painted SW Sage and I am deciding between a carrera white quartz (shown in the picture) or Shadow storm granite for the countertops which I don’t have a sample of yet. My personal style tends to be elegant but the adjoining room which we will be using for daily dining has a large floor to ceiling red brick fireplace. I have read that marble and granite don’t work together. Is this true. I love the color of the marble but I do worry about staining (regardless of the glossy or tumbled). Any advice? Thank you.

Comments (19)

• Therese N
    3 years ago

Agreed. Wait until everything else is installed.

• kculbers
    3 years ago

I also agree to wait❣️ You may change your mind again about your back splashes choice after you see the cabinets installed.

• zoey smith
    3 years ago

Backsplash for a sink, cooktop, range or just the walls beneath cabinets? Do you really cook -- like fry bacon or eggs, stir, sautee, boil pasta, or braise food? Or do you just microwave? If you really cook, a solid surface backsplash (but definitely not marble of any kind), will always be much easier to clean than any tile with grout! If you do not really cook, per se, and no shame in that of course, and this is a show kitchen, go for it. Make it dramatic to distract from the drying dishes beside the sink and the small appliances lined up on the counters, especially because this is a kitchen that seems to be totally open to the dining area and the two adjacent rooms. As everyone has said, wait to choose the backsplash.

• Will Morgan
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I cook and I was worried about marble, but the tile person said as long as I sealed it, it would be okay. It is definitely something to consider. Thanks for your input. I think you have confirmed a worry that was on my mind.

• Will Morgan
    Original Author
    3 years ago

It is only one wall of tile and it goes from counter to ceiling (except for where the hood is). It is not near my sink, but it above the range, so splatter is definitely a concern.

• RedRyder
    3 years ago

Any fireplace “goes” with marble in your kitchen. So let that comment lie. I like both ideas for your new sage kitchen but I am another WAIT TILL IT’S FINISHED vote. Too many people hate their countertop/backsplash combination when it has all been chosen in a non-existing kitchen. Install your cabinets and countertop. If your stone is gorgeous and the “star” of the room, the backsplash has to be simple and quiet. If you want a jazzed up backsplash, get a simple countertop. Happy to hear you have a sage kitchen being installed. Love green!

• holly6482
    3 years ago

I have a quartz that looks like Carrera and wanted to do a marble backsplash but it looked odd. Hard to explain but the colors were off and the marble almost made the quartz look cheap. Instead, I did the white arabesque like is shown in your pic. We used light grey grout to match the veining in the quartz. Having said all this, I would definitely agree with waiting until you see your counters and cabinets installed.

• Will Morgan
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks. The feedback was very helpful. I am going to wait until we have the countertop as suggested. And I understand not having counter and backsplash compete for attention. Also, thanks for the comment on my sage color and brick fireplace. I may be reposting once I have the countertop in with some backsplash options.

• RedRyder
    3 years ago

@Will Morgan, please post as you progress. People who give suggestions like to see how the room shapes up. 😊

• Will Morgan
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here is an updated picture of my kitchen with the cabinets roughly in place. I am leaning toward the a quartz called carrera white for the countertops.
    I am going to wait to get the counter in place before I pick the tile, but my next question is where to end the tile. I wanted to go to the ceiling. Is that a good idea? I am also not sure whether or not to go to the two thresholds (a few inches past lower cabinets) or whether to stop at the cabinets. Thanks.

• Will Morgan
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here is a picture including the thresholds.

• chispa
    3 years ago

What color are the cabinets? On my PC they look green-gray in one photo and blue-gray in another.

What color will the floors be? Are you re-staining the oak we can see? You need to include the floor next to the cabinet.

• Will Morgan
    Original Author
    3 years ago

They cabinets are painted Sherwin Williams Sage. They are meant to be a green grey, but it does look more grey blue in certain lights. Nonetheless, I am happy with the color. The floors are currently unfinished red oak that I plan on finishing natural color with a clear coat. I am keeping them covered for protection purposes.

• Will Morgan
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here is the “whole” kitchen. I still need to paint the trim around the door on the right.

• decordummy_gw
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I'm no help with the backsplash - just wanted to say your kitchen is absolutely gorgeous!

• RedRyder
    3 years ago

When your countertop is installed, it will be easier to give you ideas. That color for the cabinets is gorgeous!

• Will Morgan
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you.

• Will Morgan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Updated picture with countertops and backsplash.