Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ekaterinaarkharova

Help with apartment layout: kitchen-living room

Please-please-please help me to decide on kitchen+living room layout.

I'm attaching the original plan and our last variant ( we had multiple options, i'm attaching the best one, but still it is far from perfect...) Key requirements and limitations are the following:

-keep kids room >16m2 (not less)

-keep distance between sofa and TV 3-3,5m

-it is not allowed to move bathroom walls

-it is not allowed to move kitchen to a different place (only this corner)

All rest is changeable (hall, kids room, closets...)

So need your advice!

Comments (15)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

I find the plan totally confusing. Waht is the space that looks like a walk in closet ? Why is the 1/2 bath so huge . There seems to be a lot of wasted space but you need to actully name every space on the drawing .

• ekaterinaarkharova
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

@Patricia Colwell Consulting Hope it makes sense now

• Jeremiah Arn
    3 years ago

I see what you are trying to accomplish. It seems many people prefer smaller bedrooms and more family room area. Is this the only level to this home?

• ekaterinaarkharova
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes, this is only 1 level apartment. And one more limitation - it is not allowed to change bathroom placement/borders.

• 3onthetree
    3 years ago

Hello @ekaterinaarkharova, it almost looks as though the entire middle space (in the builder's diagram) is outside space and you are converting it to the kids' bedroom. Some questions:

- Do you have window placement set and could you show those?

- Would it be helpful to also show the concrete columns (affects your kitchen length) and wall along your bedroom as their true dimensions and thicknesses?

- Also, are you able to shift the stove along the wall instead of directly under the existing exhaust?

- Is the 16.9sm set, or can the kid's room be, say, 15.0sm? Do we assume that is a bunk bed and room for playspace? Can the playspace then be a separate location, and does it have to be closable with a door?

- Is there a need for such a large "hallway" at the entry door, and does it have to be closed off visually from the rest of the apartment?

- If you had to choose, do you prefer the Living space to be against windows or the eating table?

With what is presented so far, I don't think there are many opportunities for alternate designs, just shifting here and there. Maybe presenting the other layout choices you chose from might help evaluate your criteria and existing constraints.

• ekaterinaarkharova
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Wow, thanks, @3onthetree for being so specific! Let me clarify your points:

-Windows and balconies are as shown on the picture below

-Dimensions are true, thickness is +/- true

-Stove can be shifted anywhere

-I would definitely prefer table against windows, and tv zone can easily be in the "dark zone"

-No, definitely such large hallway just shows imperfection of the current laoyut)) That's why i am -here. We do require quite much space for storage, but not waisted space...

I'm also attaching some more variants but all of them are not good enough:

Variant 2 - to enter the kitchen you have to pass the mudroom

Variant 3 - do not actually know what to do with the diagonal walls...

• 3onthetree
    3 years ago

The million dollar question unanswered though is the empty space in the kids room.

• ekaterinaarkharova
    Original Author
    3 years ago

My kid is small yet. But i would like to plan big room for two kids in future, for them to to have enough space to play

• ekaterinaarkharova
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Jennifer K, brilliant idea, thank you!!! i will try to configurate something like this!

• ekaterinaarkharova
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Maybe something like this:

• 3onthetree
    3 years ago

The issue is providing light+ventilation for the Living area. So keeping the same drama with the angled walls to access the windows:

• ekaterinaarkharova
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@3onthetree thank you! but i don't think that suck configuration of kids room is convenient...

Finally i'm choosing between these 2 variants:

+privacy of the living room zone (in case if friends stay with us for night)

+sofa is near the kitchen - can grab some snacks))

-large wasted space in the hallway

-no walk-in closet

+ no privacy of the living room zone

+sofa is far from the kitchen

+walk-in closet

+no wasted space

• 3onthetree
    3 years ago

Unfortunately living spaces need light and ventilation, so some of the schemes with the living closed off aren't appropriate. Surely even in eastern Europe (or wherever this is located) it would be prudent to provide that.

• acm
    3 years ago

I fear you overestimate the chances that kids will play in their room -- when they are little, you need them to play in livingroom or kitchen so you can keep an eye on them, and later they will spread that way anyway. By the time they're bigger kids, they can sit on their bunk beds and play on their phones or whatever. I think you should reconsider the skinny ("suck") kid bedroom layouts...