Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_200646745

Home office design- new build. Help! I hate cords showing!

Heather Curts
3 years ago

We are building a new home...the office is going to be the death of me. I love looking at all of the pretty photos- but there are no ugly cords in any of the photos. That's just not realistic to me. I prefer a desk top computer ( my processor is the size of a small cable box). My screen is 32".

But...every thing I see..no cords. Come on...things have to be plugged in.

Based on the layout- I am thinking a media outlet and power in the floor- somewhere off center.

Can anyone give me what works best for a room layout? I like the idea of the built in desk at a right angle. But- are you limiting the future ideas? I also have a copier/scanner that needs to be in the room...but that is wifi.

Paper shredder is also plugged in.

Lighting can be from above ...that part I am not too worried about.

Many Thanks for any or all suggestions!

Built in Desk in Kitchen, Under Cabinet Lighting · More Info

Platte Park 2101 · More Info

Comments (12)

• David Cary
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

So we have a open area and next to it is a empty corner. So that leaves 24x24 inches of hidden stuff. Paper shredder is there. Desktop is there. 27 inch wide screen attached to wall with wall outlet behind. HDMI runs in the wall. Printer sits in corner directly above desktop. Outlet behind printer and hole in granite for wire. Wireless keyboard.

Simple.

Then a bamboo slotted charging station in front of outlet. All laptop/tablet/phone chargers in there with all wires hidden.

Now - I just need to get my son some bluetooth headphones and we are set. And right now we do have a wired mouse - that is an easy fix.

BTW - router/modem/hardwired internet accessories (pentair, lutron) in cabinet above.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago

Layout the room with all the furniture and equipment and make a list of each item that has electrical/communication requirement and what that electrical/communication requirement is. Provide outlets at those locations. Determine how high off the floor you want each of those outlets to be. Share the layout and list with the electrician to make sure all circuits are sized properly. Cord management can be done with zip-ties or duct tape or a variety of products on the market.

• Cherie
    3 years ago

You can’t have enough outlets. I need about 10 around my desk when I’m working from home (2 monitors, 2 laptops, 2 phones chargers, 2 headset chargers, lighting, watch, iPads, ereader, battery charger, power bank, etc). My printer, shredder and modem/router are in a closet. I haven’t bought a wireless device charging pad yet but I plan to glue that under my desk.

In my office at work, most of my outlets are about 6-10” above my sit to stand desk. Maybe around 40” from the floor. I have a 3 or 4 gang outlet box (6-8 plugs) at both corners of my desk. One corner has “permanently” plugged in items and the cables are neatly rolled up on a ledge under my desk. And the other side I use for things I swap in and out multiple times a day. I think there’s a couple of outlets under my desk but I’ve never had a need to crawl under there to find out. Whoever designed my office really thought it out.

I'd suggest putting a 2-3 gang outlet box in every corner of the room, a floor outlet and an outlet behind the future wall mount TV. I think that would give you the most flexibility for furniture placement.

Please check the outlets in your other rooms are not behind large pieces of furniture like beds or sofas. In my master bedroom reno, I put the outlets and light switches above the nightstand. I just love it.

• David Cary
    3 years ago

My one issue with outlets above nightstands is that you see them. Better to have the outlet low and a power strip attached to back of nightstand if you need to plug things in regularly. I don't plug anything in on the nightstand except a lamp and that is better suited to a low outlet.

Total wire control is difficult. We have some areas that I have wires strapped to the underside of a couch and then strapped to legs of a side table for the lamp on that table. Should have done a switched floor outlet under the couch there - we have 2 already in that room but didn't see the need for a third.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

We have most of the stuff wireless so the majority is hidden in a closet and my hubby and i share an office but we also have international students with laptops and we all have access to the WIFI, the printer , etc I have a Mac hubby has a Pc we all live happily with a min . of cords .What ones we have are attached to the back of hubbys desk so they are not all dragging on the floor. In a new build you should be able to get somehelp setting yours up like an actul professional office .where all the cords are mananged .

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    3 years ago

Jefferson · More Info

I hate cords too- so my desk is a IKEA dining table pushed all the way to the left wall - yes my power cord shows but it follows the line of my monitor. I could also drill a hole in the desk surface . The console along the back holds files and a wireless printer,

• Heather Curts
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you...looks great!

• Heather Curts
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I am meeting with builder onsite today and will take everyone's suggestions. Lots of outlets...and good planning. I have my list of power requirements- that was an easy thing to overlook-thank you for the suggestion. Stay tuned!

• chicagoans
    3 years ago

Like many, I've been working at home full time for a year+ now. I prefer to have my desk facing the room (not a wall) and not have my back to the door. Of course it's nice to be able to see out the windows, too.

If you do a lot of Zoom meetings (which seem to take up most of my day), consider your background (unless you always use a virtual background) -- IMO bookshelves (filled with books you might never read but make you look smart) or a wall with art is nicer in the background than a door where people might be walking by or walk in. Also, if your back is to a window, your face will probably be in shadow and you'll look like you're in a witness protection program. Overhead lighting alone can be unflattering (if you care) so it's nice to have a table / desk lamp at about face level.

Your requirements for an office may vary greatly, but if it were me and the way I work... in your office, I could see a nice set of built-in shelves along the left wall, and a desk placed near the center of the room, facing toward the right, and slightly closer to the windows so you have a walking path from the door to behind the desk. Great piece(s) of art and family pictures on the right wall. Easy reach behind you for paperwork or books, view out the window to your right, and art in front of you to keep you inspired. You can see whoever comes and goes in the hall, or shut your door when you need focus. I'd get a desk with built-in outlets, and if you can get a power source in the floor then you can just run one cord up a desk leg. For your ceiling fixture you might want to consider a chandy or pendant with a chain that you can swag in case you want to reposition it at any time. The lower right corner could have a wonderful big plant, or if you need more storage for files you could have a nice looking file cabinet there.

• a1eventing
    3 years ago

I added a power outlet in the closet for printer etc. I didn't want my printer taking up desk space - this is a pretty easy thing to add - just place a shelf about counter height in the closet

• Simona Stafano
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

We did builtin L shaped desk and hid all wiring under with wire management clamps attached at the bottom of the desk. Looking at front you cant see any wires. Also, all power outlets, usb-c, etc are built in on the desk, than wiring go below on the bottom and to a big power outlet attached on the wall below too. Cant show a big picture because I’m working and have other things on top:) but you get the picture. First picture is looking at front and last one is the bottom of the desk. Also make sure the depth of you desk is at least 30” if you have 32” monitor . I have three 32” monitors on top and 30 ” depth is the minimum that works for me.

We change some little things after completion, but here is the link for renovating our office.

https://youtu.be/1oWTB1RayYM