Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrea_montealto

Upgrade from 5/8 dovetail to 3/4 dovetail or not?

Andrea P
3 years ago

We will place an order with Eclipse Frameless Cabinetry and the standard is 5/8 dovetail which they said, dovetailed then assembled. Im not sure how smooth it is or if they sand it but I dont like rough dovetail. Let me know what you have! Is it worth it to upgrade to 3/4 dovetail? My KD said it is not necessary to upgrade but let me know please. I know for sure that the 3/4 dovetail is smooth and sanded.

Comments (3)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

Dovetails where? IMO dovetailed drawers are not superior no matter how they are in thickness . I love my Ikea drawers with soft close no issue ever

• jdesign_gw
    2 years ago

3/4” dovetail is not necessary and requires different slides. Don’t know how you are sure that 3/4” is going to be smooth and 5/8” may or may not be. The thickness has nothing to do with the quality. If you want something that looks better ask for flush top and not the rounded pre-finished stock version everyone uses.

These are 5/8” flush top, matte finish, matched walnut we just used on a job.

Sorry for the bad photos.

• Andrea P
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you @jdesign_gw. They mentioned the process on their videos. Thank you really appreciate it!