Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbsweeden

Help! I'm so confused where to go from here!

sbsweeden
10 years ago
This basement living room has always been an issue since we moved in ( in fact it almost kept us from putting an offer on our house!). It's narrow, has awkward low ceilings, and clearly not coming together.

Originally my husband had expectations for a "man cave", but as I started adding more elements that would flow with the traditional styling of our house he seemed to give up. However we somehow ended up with these giant speakers(and surround sound) as well as this more modern tv storage.

What colors, paint and accessories can I add to pull everything thing together? Also I'm so ready to ditch this area rug...any suggestions?

Comments (13)

• groveraxle
    10 years ago
    I can't see enough of the room to get a sense of how it works (or doesn't work) but the first thing I would do is pull that brown chair out of the corner and turn it perpendicular to the couch. Then, on the wall behind it, I would replace the letters with some big art or perhaps a gallery of framed photos.

What is the purpose of the blue chest? If it's a bar, put some floating shelves above it for glasses and such. Maybe put a tabletop wine rack on top. If it's not a bar, then it needs some defined purpose so it doesn't look like a piece of leftover furniture you didn't have any other place for.

I don't know that you even need an area rug; the area is already well defined. The the TV and its console look lonely over there. Is there enough light to get a tall plant to grow to its right?

And this seems to be a casual TV room, some poufs and floor pillows would be fun and could add some color and personality.
  • scott sherwin
    10 years ago
    I think you've got a good start but need more color. How about a large silver framed mirror over the blue chest (love that piece). Bring in some silver and blues. Lose the rug and go for throw pillows. Re-angle the club chair to perpendicular with the sofa.
  • sbsweeden
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The blue piece is storing all of our serve-ware and china. I love the piece but quite honestly there was just no other space in our 1940's house.
    The letters must stay ( the comfy tv room must also maintain our alma maters letters!), however I do want some sort of eclectic grouping incorporated.

We have a lot of brass in this room ranging from my grandmothers floor lap, to the hardware, and letters. Would silvery accents tie into that?

As far as the room goes that's all there is... I thought about doing SW Nacre on the walls to brighten things up.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    You can mix wood tones, brass and silver. Whatever you like. It will fit nicely into your eclectic design.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Rugs for color inspiration. Not sure your taste.
    Carpets and Rugs · More Info

Carpets and Rugs indoor/outdoor · More Info

Multi Circles · More Info

Rugs · More Info
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    The low cabinet and the art have your accent colors.....get pillows that blue to use on the couch and chair. Move the area rug out and I think the space will feel lighter, too. I would like to see the letters over the blue piece as they need something to ground them. I think they are fun in this space. Try the floor lamp between the couch and chair so they both can use it and pull the chair up in to the room more. Then it can also use the coffee table a little, too.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    I would center the blue cabinet (love it) under the ceiling area that is defined by the raised ceilings on each side that are surrounding it.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    GREAT idea, LB, and that would bring it in to the room more, too.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Thanks 'abbyjean'
  • rachelaw619
    10 years ago
    I'm not an expert but, I would pull from the painting and add some very colorful pillows. The buffet table is also a very nice piece, that should be more of a focul point when you enter the room rather than off to the side...
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    I see the problem, you're trying to make it a living space instead of a TV room. No wonder your husband gave up. The beauty of having a room in your home that allows for having an entertainment system out of site of the rest of your living spaces is why a man gets excited. He can set it up to maximize the experience of watching movies and such. If you wish to entertain and converse with friends and family, do that in your living room and kitchen area. If you want to be entertained you go to the room set up for entertaining you. You've got the TV and speakers crammed in a corner of the room which will never allow the system to perform as well as it could. With a media room, the idea is to design around the media system, not hide it. The TV needs to be on the wall you have the couch up against. The speakers need to be much further apart and about a foot away from the wall. You want to have low amounts of light on the TV wall meaning your lamps should be to the sides of your seating areas. You can use small low wattage lamps on the TV to add a bit of depth but remember, not to much light. It's distracting when watching TV. Get rid of the TV cabinet, it's too high. Mount the TV to the wall and get a low profile Audio Video cabinet that you can set a center channel speaker on. Put a subwoofer in the corner or behind a chair. Arrange the furniture to allow for comfortable viewing of the system. I completely support the ideas discussed above regarding style and color, but please, let the room be what it is intended for. Entertaining you beyond your imagination!
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    'Room Service Home Technologies' has a great point to take into consideration beyond the female needs of this room!