mellomee

2 Ovens or 2 Refrigerators which would you rather have?

mellomee

I’m currently redoing our kitchen which has 1 oven and 1 fridge/freezer combo. I’m debating whether to install a second oven or a second 16cuft fridge/freezer combo. I’m constantly running out of space in our fridge but I‘m not a huge oven user. So I’m leaning on getting a second refrigerator and doing with just one oven but of course I have to consider future resale value so I’d to hear your thoughts!

I’d rather have Two Refrigerator/Freezer Combos and One Oven
I’d rather have Two Ovens and One Refrigerator/Freezer Combo

• H B

Many people accommodate a second fridge or freezer elsewhere in the home but it’s really hard to put another oven in somewhere. So I’d vote for double oven in the kitchen and second fridge or freezer elsewhere.

mellomee thanked H B

Which blind corner would you rather have?

Just because of the squares? What if one was far easier to install than another, would that sway your opinion, or do you not install these yourself anyway (a lot of times you can spec them from your cabinet company)

Which white kitchen would you rather have in your home?

I agree, neither as the lights are UGLY., although the cabs, chairs and counter colours are nice in option 2 .

Any ideas for a light over the sink. I would rather not have somethin

Your new light looks great, elizf I don't have any artwork suggestions, but I will say that the painting doesn't have to "match" but can compliment the wall. So, something with tomato-y-red color in it or if you want monochromatic, go with a variation of the teal backsplash color. Again, it doesn't have to be an exact science, which is the beauty of art. When selecting a piece of art you can follow all the rules and have it match/compliment or if it's an amazing piece of art, you can throw all the rules out the window. ;)

What would you do with a sinking 2 story garage???

Find a regular engineering firm and ask them for referrals. Also, if you have a trustworthy general contractor or architect you're working with, ask them. Call the city and ask if they have a list of soils engineers or contact the business license bureau for your city and ask them. In my city, I can access the business license list online and find people I need. Also, contact the appropriate licensing division at the state level and they would have a list of licensed soils engineers in your area.
  • Silverlined

I have one oven and one fridge/freezer combo and am constantly running out of cool storage space. I voted for the extra fridge.

mellomee thanked Silverlined
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH

Do you have space for another fridge in the garage, pantry, or other room? If so, double oven. If no other space for a second fridge, then two refrigerators in the kitchen.

mellomee thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
    BG Construction

The Cafe double oven range, and GE Monogram all fridge and all freezer are both good options.

mellomee thanked BG Construction
  • Boxerpal

I'd prefer two refrigerators. We live down south and cool drinks and fresh veggies are eaten more than baked goods or heavy baked meals.

mellomee thanked Boxerpal
  • THOR, Son of ODIN

Neither.

mellomee thanked THOR, Son of ODIN
  • mellomee

interesting to see both sides! I don’t have space elsewhere in the house for a second fridge. I know some people store it in the garage but I’d prefer not to because it’s not the cleanest and I have this fear that I’ll go grab an apple from the garage fridge then drop it on the garage floor. I’d prefer to have easy access in the kitchen when I need it, space permitting of course.

i discovered Samsung just came out with a flex duo oven which is basically a regular single oven that can convert into two small ovens! Maybe I can do that and get two refrigerators, would that satisfy the double oven people?

• M

We have three ovens and use them all the time. But they admittedly all have different features: a big gas oven in the range, a speed oven combined with the microwave, and a combination steam oven.

We have a big all fridge in the kitchen and love it. The freezer is a little further away. And there is another fridge in the garage for use when unloading the car or storing bulk items (in particular beverages).

• kculbers

I also am not a big oven user and would not need two. People are using more smaller appliances to cook now: air fryers, microwaves and crock pots to mention a few. I don’t think 2 ovens or one oven is a deal breaker when buying a home. Go with what will function for you. I always need more fridge space too❣️

• Silverlined

A lot is being said right now about the new Anova combi steam oven which is a combination convection and steam oven. It is a countertop unit, but some people are designing for it as a built-in. You can supposedly copy the effect of sous vide without a bag using this oven as well as do sourdough bread and other items that require a steam bath. The one downside is that it may be too small to be practical for large family meals. If you go with a traditional split-style oven, be aware that your capacity in each will be reduced, so make sure that you have room for the largest thing you ever plan to cook.

• Maureen

I wouldn’t worry about resale, either choice will appeal to buyers. Base your decision on your family’s needs. We have a second fridge as we are often at Costco and when entertaining it’s great. During Covid we have been limiting our shopping trips but can purchase a lot more at one time.

• H B

My quick google of samsung flex duo -- it looks like a range. I agree with Maureen, don't worry about resale, and if/when the time comes, anyone can easily purchase whatever range they like and replace it.

When we remodeled, we added an under-counter drink fridge; perhaps one of two of those would provide options (and they could be conveniently located).

When we moved into this house, the laundry (next to the kitchen) also functioned kind of like a butler's pantry in that it was large enough to have W/D as well as cabinets, counter space, a kitchen sink and a fridge (we didn't keep that one, didn't need it).

• jill302

We have both, fridge in kitchen, our old fridge in the garage and two ovens. Although everything gets used enough to make them worthwhile, we use the second refrigerator more than the second oven. Second oven is mostly used when we entertain in cooler months.

• megs1030

Where are you putting a 2nd fridge? In the kitchen? Wouldn’t that take up more space than just purchasing and installing a larger fridge?

ETA: We have a fridge and freezer column in our kitchen. We also have a 2nd fridge in the garage. In that garage fridge, we store cases of beer, bulk foods that I’ve cooked that we can’t fit in our kitchen freezer, and apples when we go apple picking in the fall. I can’t say I’ve ever dropped one, but if I did, I’d just wash it off. No big deal. But just wanted to present that as an option...

• beesneeds

I’m constantly running out of space in our fridge but I‘m not a huge oven user.

I think you answered your own question there.

Personally, I have one oven and two fridge/freezers. And two deep freezers, one chest and one upright.

• 2katz4me

When we remodeled the kitchen in our last house I got double wall ovens and really liked having them. When we moved I thought I'd really miss them but I'm getting by pretty well with a range that has one oven and a warming drawer below. I use the warming drawer frequently especially when I need to cook things at different temperatures - the big benefit of double ovens for me. I keep one item warm while the other finishes.

I could not however live with a 16 cu ft fridge/freezer. Mine is a 25 cu ft FD and I love that thing (other than the freezer drawer). The refrigerator section is huge and I can fit a ton of stuff in there. Fortunately the cabinet maker for this house wisely build a deeper fridge surround so a full depth fridge doesn't extend beyond the cabinets.

So I'd say get one oven with a warming drawer and a bigger fridge.

• Helen

It is hard to answer in a vacuum - as others have posted, you need to do what works for you. Your mythical buyer may or may not like your choice either way you go.

I would say in general that many people prefer wall ovens which is what I think you mean by double ovens. They are much more upscale and functional than the standard microwave/hood over a stove.

However, if you need more refrigerator space. then go for it. Many people get either a stove that has two ovens or get one of the really good counter top ovens like a Breville for when they need two ovens. Most people don't actually get two ovens at this point anyway unless they have enormous kitchens. They get two appliances in the wall oven cabinet - one a regular convention oven and one that might be either a "quick' oven or a microwave drawer. I opted for the Bosch side opening oven and a microwave drawer.

• Silverlined

Seems like we might have lost the OP, but I wanted to add another comment that it's fascinating how many of these responses are based on climate. I never had thought about how that homeowners in colder climates would end up cooking with more oven time to create warm meals compared to people like myself in very warm climates where high value is placed on cold or room-temperature meals that do not require the oven to heat up the house during most of the year. My warm season lasts from around April to October, and the daily cooler season temperatures from November through March rarely dip below freezing. I'm one of the ones who voted for two fridges versus the ovens. Seems my cold storage space is always limited for what I want to keep.

• Mamaham_NC_Zone7

Have any of you that voted for two fridges in the same kitchen ever seen a kitchen with two fridges? I have not, so I thought I’d ask. Maybe thats just not a thing where I live. I have seen a big big fridge (like commercial size) but never two side by side?

no to the split oven. Many reasons But mostly lots that we cook would not fit in a small oven.

• Boxerpal

@Mamaham_NC_Zone7

Yes.. I love them. I don't have two giant refrigs in my space. I have one giant one and a beverage refrig but if I could I would do something like the ones below. Lovely.

Crisp Architects · More Info

Raised Panel, White Cabinet Kitchen with Oversize Island, Hand Hewn Ceiling Beam · More Info

Princeton - NJ · More Info

Hiiltop · More Info

Sub-Zero, Wolf, and Cove Showroom Columbia · More Info

Pelham Shingle Style for a Modern Family · More Info

Modern Farmhouse · More Info

• Mamaham_NC_Zone7

ok, thanks. wow - fancy. My kitchen is no where near big enough for two anything ! We did visit a lot of nice new builds when we were house hunting. Some of the houses were huge, but none had two fridges, many had double ovens. To each their own.

• Helen

There is your answer 😀 It is really a moot question for most people with normal sized kitchens.

Maybe I have a failure of imagination but most people seem to have a second refrigerator located in the garage, basement or some other area not in the kitchen. I am trying to picture a home that is large enough for a family that lacks a space for a second refrigerator in a garage or basement but has a kitchen that is large enough so that having a second refrigerator in the kitchen space is feasible.

• mellomee

Wow those photos are so pretty! I decided to try to squeeze 2 ovens and 2 refrigerators (1 full size and 1 half size). I am able to do this because I discovered the Samsung Bespoke refrigerator. Their column refrigerator is a good size of what I can do as my second fridge. I'll have to replace my oven/micro combo with a double oven and find another place for a built in microwave. Perhaps a microwave drawer? Still undecided. My kitchen isn't big. But yesterday I ran out of room in my fridge again for all of my groceries, so a second fridge is a must! But I can see how a second oven can be important to some people too.