Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deedeeukulele

Al's gritty mix - What are the effects of too large particles?

DeedeeUkulele
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

So I've been trying to make my own 1-1-1 gritty mix for the last couple of weeks. Since I live in the Philippines, it's virtually impossible to get my hands on Turface and Gran-i-grit, while bark isn't as cheap or readily available as in the US. After obsessively reading everything I could about the gritty mix, I've come up with my own substitutes: Repti Bark, pumice (for granite), and zeolite (for turface). (I know granite is meant to function as a non-water retaining ingredient, but I figured pumice's water retention would be helpful in my climate and growing conditions.)

I've also assembled a bevy of sieves: 6mm, 3mm, 1/4", and 1/8" (yes, I have metric and imperial sieves!).So here's what I did:

• Used Repti Bark straight out of the bag (washed)
  • Screened pumice between 1/4" and 1/8". Got lazy, screened only through 1/8". Retained pencil eraser-sized pieces, washed
  • Ordered zeolite twice: first was too small since it all easily went through 3mm. Next size up is too big since most wasn't getting through 1/4". Got lazy again and decided to use everything (slightly smaller than the bark) after washing off all the dust

To be completely honest, with a 3.5 year old in the "let me do it!" phase, I really just don't want to screen anything with her around (dust, etc.).

Now I know particles that are too small support PWT and ideal size would be around slightly below and above 1/8". But I never really found any reason why larger-than-ideal particles would be detrimental--save for stratification--which isn't a problem once the mix is wet. Am I missing anything?

Comments (2)