bathroom remodel design for 1940s cottage- talavera?

Emily M

I'm remodeling the only bathroom in my small 1940s stone house in Texas with the generous help of my cabinet maker father. The bathroom is a small (6.5 x 9.5 foot). I'm afraid my design choices so far may be creating a potentially overly busy space. I've committed to a few things:

1. "saltillo" tile from a local brick company

2. white subway tile (waterworks dover white matte) from craigslist. I have 60 sq ft and can't get more- enough to do two short ends of tub surround and cover the bench that will be located at the head-end of the tub. Or, I could do saltillo on the bench and use the extra white tile to extend across the wall at the foot of the tub and behind the vanity as a sort of half-wall. Or, I could buy dover white gloss large format subway tiles which are on sale.

3. a pink marble vanity top scavenged by my dad from a demo (light pink, but still very pink, with white and grey-olive streaks- plan to do narrow carrara marble backsplash but not committed)

4. oak cabinets for the vanity and above the toilet

5. chrome fixtures, other than brass bar light above vanity.

Since I don't have enough tile to do the whole tub surround I've been considering splurging for the jade talavera pictured for a feature wall behind the tub. Or, I could do a band of the dover white about 3-4 ft high on all sides of the tub surround, and another color or pattern above or below it, but I'm not a fan of most feature stripes. I like color and am drawn to greens, but worry this jade green talavera is too dark for a full wall in the small space.

For paint I've been thinking white with hint of grey, to tie in the dover white tiles, grey floor grout, and grey in the marble.

Since the house is historic I'd rather the space have a somewhat traditional feel and not be too modern, but the house didn't have a bathroom when it was first built (outhouse!) so there is nothing historical to salvage. Plus my taste leans eclectic and vernacular. So, how to tie this mish-mash together cleanly? What to do about the tub surround tile!?

Green tile I like: https://clayimports.com/product/576-jade/ (darker in real life- as pictured in my photos)

https://clayimports.com/product/granada-green/ (can't afford a whole wall of this, but I love it)

https://clayimports.com/product/810-light-green-2/ (glossy, not apparent in photo)

or maybe this pink would tie vanity and saltillo: https://clayimports.com/product/819-desert-pink/

or a neutral option like this "sea salt" 6x6: https://clayimports.com/product/glazed-square-sea-salt/

Saltillo not as orange as it appears here. More of a soft brown-red.

Obviously the room is far from finished. There is a window to the right of the tub, directly across from the door, and the vanity will go to the right of this window. The toilet faces the vanity on the opposite wall.

• Tara

Here's an accent of Talavera with white subway - not in a bath but the look could be similar on the tub surround

Cherokee Homes Talavera Tile · More Info

Bathrooms · More Info

Emily M thanked Tara
  • Emily M

Hi Tara- thank you for the inspo! I like that idea a lot, I'm just not sure how to incorporate the talavera. My local tile shop doesn't stock talavera bullnose (must order custom) so I'm considering field tile on either a whole single wall or as a half wall around the tub. I kinda like the idea of extending the white tile along the wall at the foot of the shower (where the shower fixtures will go) beyond the tub surround, under the window, and across the vanity area as a half-wall (lower wall) backsplash, like in the picture you shared. But that means I need a different color on the upper half of the tub surround since I don't have enough of the white. Putting a dark or colorful tile up there may feel confining... I guess I could do the reverse and have the white up top and talavera below, but I'm afraid matching talavera to the pink marble vanity will be tricky. Plus my white tile has one glazed edge so I could use as a half wall without a need bullnose or schluter trim...

small 6 x 10 bathroom remodel

what about sing both of them..u can have double sinks in the space...i wanted it ..my contrator talked me out of it.but I was correct that I could have used both

1940s ranch bathroom remodel

What is your budget? Is the tub/shower area included in your scope? We have done a few contemporary baths lately that feature tile with subtle streak patterns. I would take out that wainscot tile and replace with something like that, or drywall if you don't have the budget. We like using the same tile on the floor and the wainscot. Replace that vanity with a new cabinet, or floating if you have the budget/have a place to put your towels, etc. What prevents you from modifying the window? Depending on what is on the exterior, you may be able to remove the glass block and replace with an insert window without having to modify the exterior. You could keep the room layout, but if budget permits, curbless showers are trendy and might fit the look you want. Here's one bathroom we just finished that may appeal to your tastes: http://www.houzz.com/projects/399473/Evanston-Bath

Bathroom remodel on a budget

your wish is my command, although I will confess, can I have your sink, those tend to be expensive in stores. changing sinks, don't bother with faucets. unless you really want, I see those all the time. changing the wall paint to creamier, more bright or light would improve. new back splash that melds the various colors with matching rug, towels and drapery would give you a bigger improvement for least cost. To bad borders are out, I used to do the same thing without replacing the back splash. The back splash is the last thing I would change for cost efficiency. Fabrics, paint and art always cost less. Remember, someone, I think it was mrsstem, said you need at least 3 things that color match to have an effect. So window, towels and shower curtain or floor rug, will make a huge difference. If you must do the floor, try floating, they wood and tile now, take a moment to line underneath and your floor will lose a lot of the cold you get from tile. good luck, let us see!

Bathroom Remodel- Do I have to get a custom cabinet & vanity?

Thank you so much for your feedback Kelley Dockrey! I think I've answered all your questions. Yes, total gut except for the tub (original) that will be reglazed. I'm gutting down to the studs so my current plans are: Move an existing wall vent to the ceiling Install a exhaust fan with a light above shower (currently the only light is the two wall sconces). Move shower head up New drywall/green board on walls & ceiling. New tile floor Replace vanity & cabinet Install niches in shower Retile shower New fixtures (lights, faucets, shower head) Reglaze tub There are a few reasons I want to replace the entire vanity & cabinet: 1. There is a ton of wasted space to the left of the vanity between it and the toilet- the current vanity is 42 inches and I can easily have a vanity installed that is at least 6 inches longer so there will be more counter top space. 2. If I tried to remove the countertop, couldn't it potentially damage the vanity & then it woudn't be usable? 3. The drawers currently don't have tracks so I was told wood on wood will wear down quickly, paint won't last, not user friendly (which is true, they're hard to open & close). The kitchen has been remodeled so this is the main house eyesore because it is the guest bathroom (and I don't have a powder room so it used by all visitors). I don't know if the bathroom has been repiped. I know some of the house has pex and some has copper so I would assume copper. I would guess I'd be here for at least another 5 years.
    Beth H. :

put the tile on the floor.

use the countertop material or some other remnant piece for the bench. you don't want tiles and grout on a bench if you can help it.

bring in another tile and use it for the one wall, the white subway for the others.

The jade would be fine, but it shouldn't be a splurge. you can find cheaper 4x4 or 6x6 tiles in all sorts of colors. look at DalTile, Tilebar, or local tile places. I wouldn't use real hand made talavera because it just doesn't last. (I have real saltillo tile and real talavera tile, all hand made in mexico, on my patio. the glazing has fine fissures in it that will need to be sealed frequently. I know they look solid. they aren't)

you could use them in the niche if you like. on the back of it. for the sides, do solid pieces of quartz remnants.

you can buy a 8'X6" quartz backsplash piece for 60$. cut it to fit.

i had one in this dark gray that I used on a shower curb, and a shelf in the niche. you can get any color

used it on this curb too. we cut it to 4" wide I believe. so you could use a similar remnant for the niche, and get a larger piece for your bench.

you mentioned pink. what about this for the vanity? they have a green too HD and Wayfair carry this

and it's on sale for $9 a square foot.

https://www.wayfair.com/home-improvement/pdp/ivy-hill-tile-kingston-4-x-4-ceramic-tile-sost4290.html?&experiencetype=2&selectedvertical=5

this does look cool. this is the zellige tile.

or, try a print tile like this for the back wall. just frame it out in a 5X3 (or in this case something divisible by 8", since 4 tiles make up a 8"x8" square design. )

this is a pretty design and would work w/your terra cotta, and the white. has the same colors in it.

https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/SomerTile-Revival-Memory-Mini-4x4-inch-Ceramic-Floor-and-Wall-Tile-27-tiles-3.29-sqft.-CASE/32382998/product.html

Emily M thanked Beth H. :
  • hu818472722

It seems like a real range of assorted materials you have and the potential for that to look too busy could be high especially if it is a small bathroom. Do you have a picture of the pink marble countertop? Maybe a more modern version of clay floor tile that has more pink tones than the brown tones you are looking at would be more harmonious? You may be able to find a porcelain tile that would be less maintenance in the long run. This bathroom has the Saltillo floors and oak cabinets but keeps it simple everywhere else.

Emily M thanked hu818472722
  • Emily M

hu818472722- I think you're right about the saltillo being a complicating element. I've already purchased it but could save for a future kitchen remodel. I'd rather use it for this project though. Trying to channel southwest x beach house vibes - traditional materials with classic but fresh design. It's hard! I appreciate your input!

• Emily M

Beth! Thank you for the detailed and thoughtful response! I do really dig the pink and green combo- you get my style. Also, great suggestions about using slabs on the bench instead of tile- that was something I was concerned about but didn't have enough info to know better. And no talavera huh- I understand there is lesser quality and higher quality stuff out there, but its good to hear from someone with experience with it. I do like the patterned tile you suggested last for its blend of colors but worry the pattern will be too busy. I'll give it some thought.

Beth H. :

Emily, that's a beautiful slab. you know what would look better? the soft pink portmore tile. (on Wayfair it's the Kingston. and it's on sale!)

honestly, I'd scratch the saltillo color. It's going to clash w/that pink (too much orange to it)

I'd stick w/the wood tones, the white, the pink. I know you want to use it, but I'm telling you, w/that pink marble, you're going to be disappointed. if you must use the saltillo, then pick a diff countertop.

Actually this 3x8 tile is cheaper than the 4x4

less than $8 a sq foot, which is a really good price.

I do this on the back wall as an accent. on the floor, I really like the black hex, but the gray would work too

I'm loving these combos too. pick one of the hex for the floor, maybe the small hex for the accent wall in the shower, bring in light wood tones and green accents.

another 4x12 pink tile. for the floor or the accent wall.

if you rally want the green, then how about this 4x12 sante fe tile? you know you can do this on the regular floor too? lay it in a funky layout like a double basketweave or even a herringbone. next to the wood vanity it would be pretty and pick up on the green tones in the stone.

or, they have this green hex tile you could use on the floor.

get a plain white quartz piece for the bench or the curb if you need it.

some other greens and pink.

They actually have a XL tile that matches your countertop but it's out of stock!

Emily M thanked Beth H. :
  • Emily M

Wow, thank you so much for all the great ideas, Beth. I think if I change the floor I'd go for something like the small white hex or black and white in porcelain, which is a classic tile I loved in my childhood bathrooms. That green hex is pretty amazing though and would get me my green fix. Agreed that the pink tile would look stunning with the slab, but I'm a water baby and love the idea of bathing next to a green or bluegreen wall. I've contemplated doing deep vibrant pink paint on the walls in the bathroom but feared it would be too much (esp with the saltillo) and will probably stick to white paint unless I go neutral everywhere else. I dig all the green tiles you found. Is everything you found on wayfair?

Beth H. :

yes

Emily M thanked Beth H. :
  • Emily M

I could stain the saltillo. Maybe the whitewash or the walnut:

I also am looking and pink and saltillo inspiration. Some folks are making it work:

But, I'm mocking up in sketchup and it does look terrible there, even with the less-orange saltillo rendering:

• latifolia

Love what you're doing. Saltillo

is my favorite, but making it work with the pink vanity won't be easy. What kind of oak will the vanity be? Is that already in progress? Make sure it doesn't go orangey and further complicate things.

Emily M thanked latifolia
  • Emily M

Hi latifolia,

It is white oak. I'm not sure if my dad has started building it yet, but shouldn't be orange. I'm regretting jumping the gun on that saltillo...

• Emily M

Ignoring the tile colors for now (other than the white subway)- what looks better to y'all: subway across back wall or marble backsplash around vanity?

The marble slab I have is carrara, and has more white in it that it appears here.

Beth H. :

Here's my Saltillo and the talavera. (I laid these tiles myself! )

this photo was taken many years ago. The saltillo needs to be refinished and resealed. But as you can see, this is more of a terra cotta. I did start w/ unsealed, unglazed natural saltillo made in Mexico. The do stain w/any oil products, so just keep that in mind.

whitewashing is a good idea, (yours are pre-sealed, yes? does water bead up on top?)

yours has more of an orange hue. In the pictures you shared, all of those are more terra cotta toned. (has more brown in it) so that orange isn't as prominent.

honestly, if you want that tile, think about doing a diff countertop. Or, can you put the tiles next to your countertop and take a picture?

or, try whitewashing them or playing around w/the sealer and white wash.

Oh, and you have to use the saltillo tile grout w/these tiles. it's a special grout meant for spacing larger than 1/8-1/4". you can't set these too close because the sizes are all different (the hand made ones)

Emily M thanked Beth H. :
  • Emily M

Beth- Your patio is beautiful. I love the talavera details. I will be laying my tile myself too- a first- so appreciate the tips. My local tile shop says I can do 1/8 with an unsanded grout, but that 1/4 requires sanded. I'll lay them out and see what spacing makes most sense but I am pretty sure it'll be 1/8 unless I cut the tiles down.

I love my tile and my counter top both, probably the counter more, but you're right about them clashing and I'm not sure which to ditch. A complicating factor influencing my decision to use the saltillo is that my floor isn't perfectly level and I need to shim the tub about a half inch to get it level- the saltillo is thick enough, after being laid on ditra decoupler, to hide the gap under the tub from the shimming- if I go with a different tile that is not as thick I'll have to find another way to deal with that problem. Maybe with the thicker ditra XL I could get away with using a thinner tile. The saltillo are presealed (matte) and so I'd probably have to strip them before I can stain. I'll get in touch with the distributor to find out what kind of sealer was used and how much of a pain it would be to strip them all, stain and reseal. I know people paint saltillo too and wonder if I could get away with an oil based paint on top of the sealer, but I'd worry about the paint rubbing off over time.

A smaller (6x12) tile of the same type is in the photo with the counter top, but I think I'll haul the counter into by bathroom and take a photo with the tile laid out. I'll post it when I get around to it.

Beth H. :

are all your tiles exactly the same size? check that first.

If not, you're going to have to have larger grout lines. absolutely will need a SANDED grout. If you can keep it under 1/4", a regular SANDED grout will work. I don't think you can get away w/anything smaller than a 1/8", and the unsanded, but you'll need to do a dry layout first.

check your measurements on the tiles first, and go from there.

you'll have to practice on a tile or two to see if a white wash stain (general finishes or Varathane have oil based white stains that might adhere) will stick. maybe you could rough up the surface with a steel wool.

if you want to try and paint them, a good porch paint should work fine. maybe even a white wash of that product could yield more of a pink tone.

you'll have to experiment.

Emily M thanked Beth H. :
  • Emily M

Ok, sanded it is. I plan to do a dry layout. I might do something funky like a brick pattern on the diagonal, or might keep it square and simple.

Here are some more photos of the saltillo with the marble with natural western golden hour light. Apologies for the purple towel interference.

.

• Emily M

• Emily M

They are knock off saltllo: https://clayimports.com/product/dhanis-tile-replica-matte-sealed/

I like them because they are made right down the road and are cheap, and are much more durable (allegedly) than true saltillo. I don't mind the color at all on its own but with the pink marble its just underwhelming.

I have not measured them yet. I will if I decide to go with them. And yeah, I've basically nixed bright greens and am thinking either of doing the feature wall with white in a fun shape or some more muted green or other neutral... if I stay with the saltillo.

These pink 1'x1' patterned tiles are listed on facebook marketplace. A bit wilder than I intended to go, but I like it. They are cement, however, which I had planned on staying away from due to their reputation for staining and being high maintenance. Could do something like the neutral 4x4" pictured for the feature wall.

Beth H. :

ok. that will work. what about the fan or scallop? that would fit well w/the theme you have.

this is what I was thinking for your shower. the pink w/the white subway, penny or hex shower floor, and something simple on the outside floor

I mean, you could even use the pink scallop on the floors outside!

here's a pink hex

and this would actually look great w/your clay tile floor. however, the pink countertop would not .

what if you got a plain marble countertop for the vanity?

here's more of terra cotta color. if there is someway you can darken them like this, it could work.

try fine sanding them and rubbing some walnut stain over them. you'll have to seal again, but see if the stain changes the color

See the white zellige tiles? pretty.

I think you've seen this. this design needs a plain white floor tile. or that hex w/the white and the wood look tile

I love love this tile. I'd do this for your floor. would look so pretty w/your countertop

https://tilezz.com/products/chanel-pink-3x12-ceramic-subway-tile

based on your picture, maybe more of a blush pink is better. like these.

I still say Cloe would work best

https://www.wayfair.com/Bedrosians--Cloe-2.5-x-8-Ceramic-Subway-Tile-DECCLOPIN28G-L2970-K%7EBEDR3787.html

Emily M thanked Beth H. :
  • Emily M

That Cloe is a nearly perfect match. Didn't think about doing pink everywhere, but it could be a thing. I'm still concerned about the tub shim problem with thinner tiles. I wish zellige wasn't so expensive because those are nice thick tiles. I just don't see how I can make the cloe work because its only 3/8" thick, unless I tiled along the base of the tub like a baseboard.

Also, I think I edited my previous post before you saw it- what do you think of this wild pink 12"x12" for the floor? Concrete, but maybe thick enough.

Beth H. :

even w/the backerboard on the floor it's still not enough height? use a 1/4" or 1/2" cement board on the floor

I don't care for those concrete tiles. if you want the concrete, go for the larger pink/white hex

Tilebar has these porcelain that look like terrazzo

or these too
    15mm thick

https://www.tilebar.com/hexart-rose-8-porcelain-matte-tile.html

with white

https://www.tilebar.com/hexart-pop-rose-8-hex-matte-porcelain-tile.html

and the paler pink hex Sasha

https://www.tilebar.com/sasha-hex-rose-6-porcelain-hexagon-tile.html

Emily M thanked Beth H. :
  • Emily M

I like the hexart rose. I hadn't thought of putting concrete board on the floor. Good idea. I'll run these options by my pops, who has a better design eye than I, and see what we come up with. I do like the idea of painting the saltillo so will likely play with that before I buy another floor tile.

• RedRyder

Beth is giving you great advice. Your original design plan was too many colors fighting for attention. If the saltillo tiles are the most important, than downplay the pink. Beth’s photo of those tiles with the oak vanity and all white around it make the floor the center of attention. If you take the Saltillo tiles out of the equation, the pink and white tiles look better and that color wins. You both seem knowledgeable about the challenges with the Saltillo tiles being difficult, so I would consider them for another project. I’ve seem some of those pink Tilebar options in real life and they are absolutely stunning. With pops of green, it could be a dynamite small bathroom.

Emily M thanked RedRyder
  • Hyt Moses

Emily M thanked Hyt Moses
  • Emily M

RedRyder- Do you mean Beth's photo with the freestanding tub and saltillo hex with white all around it? Or are you speaking generally about Beth's tile suggestions with oak and white?

You guys have definitely weakened my resolve with the saltillo. I guess I've spent about $250 on them which is a drag but not much in the scheme of tile cost. That said, I still have some hesitation to go big on the pink. Pink roses are a favorite flower, but pink tile on a wall is a commitment to pink that I hesitate to make. I could be into a strong pink floor, but I don't want the bathroom overwhelmingly pink.

I'm more drawn to the earthy, dusty or matte pinks than the high gloss-just more to my taste. Like this from zia tile:

But, $$$.

If I had to pick right now I'd probably do a pink matte like the rose hex on the floor and do either white or green gloss shapes or zellige-esque on the feature wall.

Thanks for your perspective, Red Ryder!

• RedRyder

Yes, the photos with the free standing tub and hex flooring, light oak vanity and all around white. THAT works. The pink tile floor that @Beth H suggested with the tiny white lines is GORGEOUS in person. Using that floor, your oak cabinet and maybe a pink penny tile on the shower floor is enough pink for me as well. I’d hesitate to tile my walls pink if I chose it for the floor. But having it to stand on in my shower? Love that.
    FWIW - I love, love green but it would be a good accent color in a pink bathroom. Or choose the green and have just pink as an accent color. Using a lot of white is being recommended because you said it’s a small room.

Emily M thanked RedRyder
  • Emily M

I just have a tub/shower combo, no separate shower area (well, I have one outside at the moment!). I agree about the beauty of the all white and saltillo combo- I love it in that context with lots of natural light and the gloss of the tile.

But ok, so pink and green too much together in a small space? I should stick to either green OR pink with white is what I'm hearing here (and accent with whichever I don't pick in the tile). Or all white, saltillo, and a different counter top.

Beth H. :

Yes. lol.

sophies choice. the countertop or the saltillo. lol

search pink zellige tiles (you said you like this color), and other places will pop up.

https://www.tilesofezra.com/products/ezr1010mp

these would be so pretty on the floor

you mentioned shying away from "pink" in the bathroom. But this is stunning. it's not a bubblegum pink

you could easily do tiles just like this on your floor in front of the vanity and it would work w/the countertop. keep the shower in the white, with a simple accent tile. do rose gold hardware.

this is still one of my faves. and it works w/a spanish style bungalow home.

Emily M thanked Beth H. :
  • Emily M

I do like pink. I just don't want pink on every surface! I honestly hadn't considered pink very much at all prior to this, but now I certainly am.The first pink I suggested was kinda sunset-y orange and I threw it out there because I thought it might marry the saltillo and marble, but it would probably just make the problem worst. I also liked how the pink and green worked together. But I can see how a pink floor and green feature wall in that small bathroom might be too cluttered.

I'd be all over the star and cross pattern on the floor. Probably out of my budget. I'm looking for zellige sales but the colors are never right on the sale ones I've found on sale thus far. But Beth, you've pointed me to some new tile sites I didn't know about before, so thank you for that as well!

Beth H. :

if you have a small floor area, it might not be too bad. I waited for a clearance sale and got my zellige tiles at a great price. they go fast tho (CleTile) I got the green the blue, and the black.

haven't used the blue or green yet, but I did use my black ones

got the black/white cement tiles on sale with it at the same time.

So, check around for clearance. maybe call up the diff companies and ask if they have any scrap lots. usually those are smaller amounts that they have a hard time unloading. you can find those for a discounted price.

or ask if they have any dye lot batches that got mixed up. It's worth a shot to ask.

how many sq ft is your floor?

lastly, porcelain look-alike tiles can be found.

cletile has these cement tiles at 6$ a piece. if you don't need too many, you could use the too

these are $19.50 sq ft, exactly like the black ones I have. (I think I paid less than $10

the earthenware are similar, but not exactly like the zellige? kiln fired are more varied in color than the zellige. look at the green tiles I got. they are earthenware because the colors aren't exact

anyway, check back here. they have some pink colors but sell out quickly. they fire batches of a certain glaze, and then sell off those lots.

ask them when they're firing their next batch

https://www.cletile.com/collections/cle-kiln

cherry blossom. made in Feb. so, they should be firing a new batch

Emily M thanked Beth H. :
  • Emily M

My feature wall and floor space are around 45 square feet each. I'm rounding up to 50 square feet for tile cuts. I'm looking for stuff in the 10/square foot range or less- ideally less. Obviously if I go cheaper on the floor I could go with something nicer on the walls or vice versa. I'll keep and eye on the cle tile website for sure.

My local tile shop just had a warehouse sale and I went to that but they didn't have anything suitable in a batch size that made sense for me. I ended up buying some pretty hand painted cream and white tiles that I thought I could use as a a "rug" in the saltillo but upon getting them home realized it was a bad idea. But, I love what you've done with the tile floor inset and the tile corner! Definitely inspiration for what to do with this small batch of cream and black tile.

These star and cross have been on facebook marketplace for a while now- $5/square foot, 60 square feet. Maybe not pink enough to go with the vanity marble though. Plus they have the complication of being true saltillo, and thus possibly too absorbent for the bathroom?

Beth H. :

the saltillo on the outside floor will be fine. once you put on a really good sealer, it will be fine. I wouldn't use them in the shower though.

haven't seen the star and cross in true saltillo! where is this? I'd like to get them. lol. I have a patio to redo

Emily M thanked Beth H. :
  • Emily M

You can buy them through clay imports in Austin! They are having a free shipping on orders over a certain amount right now so jump on it!

https://clayimports.com/product/star-cross-gloss-sealed/

Sooo... do you think they'd look ok with the pink marble? I'm not convinced myself, but the price is within my budget and they are decidedly less orange. And the shape is fun :)

I heard back from clay imports about painting my floor tile and they said staining that particular tile (the stuff i bought) hasn't worked out well in the past but painting it with epoxy has worked well, just fyi.

• RedRyder

The last bathroom photo @Beth H posted, with the mostly white bathroom is the one I’ve seen in person. It’s a knockout tile. Very soft looking.
    I’m sure by now your head is spinning. But you have some great ideas and options. Give yourself time to figure it out. Just remember, you can’t use everything you love in one small bathroom. 😂

Emily M thanked RedRyder
    Beth H. :

I think if the saltillo is the same tone as your other saltillo, then no, still too orange.

do they make them in any other color? Like their white? this would work

wait, what about their glazed white hex?? this would look great. only $1.10

or the blanco tile. do this in the herringbone on the floor

they also have this soft pink

Riad Tile. I do like this one.

2x13. maybe use this in the shower for the accent. Ivy Hill

still like the Sasha one too. either the soft pink or this light gray

how about these? they are the real cement. you'd have to price compare w/other companies. for the flooring only, you need 45 sq feet? that the outside floor?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Villa-Lagoon-Tile-South-Beach-16-Pack-Multi-color-pattern-White-SB-1000-Mauve-SB-5802-and-Beach-SB-5804-Cement-Common-Actual-9-06-in-x-7-87-in/5001608531

If you got these solid one, 8x9, 45Sq feet plus overage, it comes to 550 bucks. Zia Tile. and they're in stock ready to ship!

https://www.ziatile.com/product/jaipur-pink-hex/

Emily M thanked Beth H. :
  • Emily M

@Beth H. :I haven't seen the clay imports star and hex in person, but from the photos it looks much peachier. Different manufacturer from my tile, so definitely a different color. They do make it in white glazed but it is $$$. I should probably make an appointment at Clay Imports and just go look at the stuff in person. I am seriously considering the white hex they make for the shower wall or the zia concrete hex for the floor. Frankly, my budget won't let me get both (plus two different hexes at once?). I'm also considering the zia thin glazed brick in white for the feature wall and laying it in a herringbone pattern- its only $10/sq foot. But also seems weird to double up on white rectangles, even if they have totally different textures. Or I could put the zia thin glazed brick on the floor but what to do with the wall if I do? I'm pink shy on the wall. I also really like the pink dahlia ceramic 2x8 rectangles by zia, 15/sq foot, for the floor. But, an enticement to shop local (clay imports) is that I save on shipping as I can pick it up at the warehouse, and they do a 5% discount if you pay by bank transfer.

And yes, floor outside tub, below vanity, is about 45 feet. Feature wall another 45 feet.

@RedRyder That soft pink hex with the rays is real pretty. I'm kinda worried about the lines being too trendy for my old house. But maybe in 20 years it'll be retro cool and I should just get over it. But yeah, I've gone down the tile rabbit hole :) It's pretty fun thinking about all the options, if a big time suck.

I have completely nixed green tile (that clay imports thin brick in green is gorgeous though) and will probably do a glossy white feature wall in some interesting pattern and either keep my current saltillo... (hanging my head in shame...but I have an unexpected roof expense with recent hail storm here and dropping 2k on tile isn't an option at the moment. And I can change the vanity top pretty easily if it looks intolerable together) ...OR (hopefully) find a steal on floor tile in pink or neutral. That saltillo star and cross is a steal at 5/sq foot, albeit imperfect color match to the vanity. But I've got a little time to decide and look forward to mulling over all the options with my dad when he comes down to work on the bathroom this weekend.

• RedRyder

Emily: using your saltillo tile is still a good idea! You’ve already invested in it. With your custom made oak vanity and white walls, it will look great. No need to spend more money if you’re concerned about other pressing expenses. Look again at the photo Beth posted using that tile with oak and white. Maybe your shower niche can have a bit of flashy emerald green (?). Sometimes the amazing ideas offered here can get you more confused but no one is saying the tiles you have won’t work. All the colors together seemed to be fighting each other, the recommendations are to reconsider your decisions so the beautiful floor is the main event. I’m sure your custom vanity will also be a knockout feature.

Emily M thanked RedRyder
  • Emily M

RedRyder- I credit this discussion to making me feel less confused overall- the bathroom will look much better than my original plan. My dad's initial response to the saltillo was skeptical, but when he held it up to the marble he said it didn't look as bad as he thought it would, and he pointed out that the colors wouldn't be touching at all. Being in the southwest (kinda) I guess I considered saltillo a neutral. But upon reconsidering I also don't want to waste my energy installing something that I'll want to rip out immediately. We shall see what evolves. Regardless, thanks for the reassurance :)

• hu818472722

I think the marble top is Norwegian Rose Gold Marble, a bit of a bespoke type of item, so very special but does make it complicated. You could maybe use an area rug on top of the orange tile to introduce the pink tones and tone it down. This area rug from Allmodern.com Bronte SW wool pink/ beige 3:6 x 5'6 has the southwest style you like;

I like it in this bathroom accented with the grey tones

There is also tons of blush/pink rugs out there as well, and how your door swings could affect the pile height of any rug you would choose. Something to think about is the height of your Saltillo tiles and how that will affect your door threshold transition into your bathroom, it could put it too high. Maybe buying something to cover up the wrong color is not an ideal way to go. This bathroom is a good example of accenting with modern items but keeping a calm palette overall. It uses shades of grey to create contrast and interest and what I like is that it's not pink tile!

Emily M thanked hu818472722
  • Emily M

@hu818472722 i think breaking up the orange floor with a rug is a good idea. I like the one you suggested, or something like that.

I also was considering doing something like Beth H did with her patio where the corners are cut off of the saltillo and replaced with small square tiles- i think it could look neat with white/offwhite tiles to keep it simple but interrupt the expanse of orange-brown. Or maybe it would just draw your eye to the orange even more. I have no idea

Also, interesting to learn what the marble might be- thanks :)

• Emily M

Worked up some options within budget!

Option 1: fireclay hex 4x4 in tusk for shower wall and clay imports mexican zellige inset with saltillo.

Option 2: Zia ceramic 2x8 for shower wall (subway on subway though?) and zia cement pink and white on floor. Unsure about maintenance needs of white concrete- would rather do all pink but its out of stock and I need to get this done in the next month. Slightly more money but not much. This really only is within budget because the tile are coming from the same place and so I save on shipping.

Can still incorporate pink or green tile accents in shower niche for either design.

Thoughts are appreciated!

Beth H. :

saw this on the other post.

So I like this one. you can play around w/the design and turn the triangles.

As for cement tiles, they need to be sealed prior to installing them, as it makes clean up so much easier. before setting them in the mortar (for install) dunk them in water first. a dry cement tile will suck up all the moisture in the thinset making it dry out too quickly.

these were my cement tiles that I set out to seal. I applied 4 coats. (depending who's tiles you buy, you may not have to do it. CleTile already seals theirs)

these were from CementTileShop.

I think I sealed these 3-4 times. took 2 days. when water beads up on top, they're sealed.

set them as close as possible 1/32" or 1/16" for your grout lines. when it's time to grout, do not spread the grout (unsanded) all across the face like you would regular tile. carefully apply it between the joints and use your float to press it in the joints. use a damp rag to wipe away any excess.

Ask the manufacturer which sealer they recommend.

I used this one on my honed marble on my shower floor. stuff is amazing. after 3 years water still beads up on the surface. test it on a spare cement tile. not sure how it would work on that. it should be safe because the cement tile designs are made from marble dust.

another design layout imagine yours w/the triangles.

what's going on the shower floor?

what about the other pink subway tiles??

using the cement tiles on the outside floor, right?

what's the oak vanity look like?

any tile behind the vanity up the wall?

mirror/lights look like?

Emily M thanked Beth H. :
  • Emily M

Thank you for catching my mis-post, Beth. Those are some cool layouts. Thank you for all the tips!

• Emily M

Didn't see your questions:

what's going on the shower floor? No shower floor just alcove tub shower combo

what about the other pink subway tiles?? I did a bunch of pricing and for whatever reason squares are usually cheaper. The only pinks in my budget that I liked a lot were the bedrosian and they say wall only.

using the cement tiles on the outside floor, right? Yes

what's the oak vanity look like? It hasn't been built yet but it will have curvy legs at the front corners, center doors, and some combo of drawers and doors on either side. My dad just said it would be beautiful. I believe him.

any tile behind the vanity up the wall? White subway backsplash across the wall- extending from shower but just a half wall once past the shower area. Like in the sketchups. Or I could stop the subway at the shower and use Carrara marble backsplash (have some already) but I think the subway looks cleaner.

mirror/lights look like? Light is brass with white glass tubes to either side, mounted horizontally over mirror. Not sure on mirror yet

I have a small mirror kind of like this I can use

• hu818472722

A less expensive option would be to continue your floor tiles onto your bench or half wall. A two tone color treatment would also work as opposed to more tile, using your pink tone on the bottom and maybe if you don't ask your dad to cut the corners on that thick Saltillo tile he would be willing to build you a modern bench!

Emily M thanked hu818472722
  • Emily M

I like the idea of having the same tile on the floor and feature wall, but I don't see how that helps bring down the cost. I need to buy wall tile one way or the other. But, I just found out that my local tile shop is having another warehouse sale this weekend so maybe I'll find something that works for both wall and floor.

The bench is in the damp/wet area behind the tub so wood is not a good idea, but I do like the simple elegance of that bench.

• Emily M

Warehouse sale yielded nothing so I pulled the trigger and bought waterworks dover white glossy tile 3x12 for the accent wall- it was half-off and a safe bet because it is the same exact color as the matte subway I already have. I bought enough to do herringbone if I feel ambitious.

For the niche, I think I will do this green tile:

I am also considering this in pink for a backsplash behind the vanity instead of the white tile:

The floor, however, remains in limbo.

• Emily M

If anyone has thoughts on a bright green shower niche in a white wall with or without matching pink tile backsplash on vanity, I'm all ears.

I had been in the make-a-shower-niche-blend-in camp previously, but those green tiles are so darn pretty I can't resist them.