luminel

suggestions on decorating this parlour room

luminel

We just recently moved into this home rental and have no idea what to do with this room. It’s a bit old fashioned looking, not my style, but I’m stuck. I’d like this room to be a relaxing, music room, invite friend over to jam. The fireplace is not attractive, it’s dull and it’s off-centered. The carpet is a whitish, ‘pink-beige. There isn’t a lot of space above it. Does anyone have any ideas on how to liven the room, make it a bit cooler and cozy, inviting. i would really appreciate it advice.I Would appreciate Suggestions on furnishing as well.

• houssaon

You need to post pictures of the space. JPEG format. Also a floorplan will be helpful.

luminel thanked houssaon
  • luminel

I just did. not sure how to do a floor

plan, I’ll have to figure out.

Parlor entry decor help in historical home.

When I look at this area, I see too many items with intricate details, plus they seem unrelated in style and the era they represent. I'm mostly referring to the wall hangings and overhead light. There's too much brown! I'd concentrate on a new piece of art for over the sofa, something with color, a small area rug for in front of the sofa and a pattern curtain.

Please help! Town Home Living Room/Parlor Space

Oh - I missed the part about the separate dining room area. Then, by all means, I would consider a backless settee in-between two conversational areas, with a smaller grouping - maybe a couple of chairs and small table in-between - toward the kitchen area where I was thinking you needed to have a dining table. That would allow someone to park themselves during a get-together and visit with people in either the sofa grouping or the other grouping. A console table could go against the railing overlooking the stairs or on the back wall to the left of the sofa placement that could be used for serving hors d'oeuvres, wine, etc. for entertaining. Just some thoughts.

New house, same furniture! How to make this living room/parlour pop?

I like the idea of the sofa on that back wall with the console I would have the wing chairs angled at the entry one on either side of the doorwaya small matching tables beside each one. The art work over the sofa and the ones in the DR need to be hung lower the rug I would choose would not be sisal I hate the feel on my feet also I think a red area rug very textured would be awsesome cant' really tell what the red is so this is just a guess or you could stay very neutral and go gold I guess. Both rooms need drapery that matches to tie the 2 rooms together. I would make the rug large enough to cover most of the space just so all the furniture can have feet on it. A nice long rectangular ottoman with tray in front of the sofa A couple of great floor lamps one on either side of the sofa and a matching pair on the tables by the wing chairs. Some red centerpiece on the dining table and another large piece of art work orlarge mirror on the wall to the left in the pics. Mirrors always give sparkle to a DR and don't forget fresh flowers in both rooms when entertaining.

Room Decor Suggestions

Are there space limitations to do a loveseat and a couple of small scale chairs (armless maybe)? Nice artwork and some lighting and it should frame the space. I hope this helps.
  • JDMCCL

At least it looks like it gets a lot of light, which is always a plus! It's hard to tell without a floor plan, but it looks like you have room for a seating area clustered around the fireplace. Then the other section could hold the piano.

luminel thanked JDMCCL
  • ital mover

I hope all your problems can be so small!

Put a bookcase/media unit from the end of the brick fireplace to where you now have the floor lamp. It should be the same height as the fireplace. Fill it with books and stuff related to your musical interests. IKEA will do, or make a bookcase out of pipe and shelves.

Get more of the interesting interesting kind of art work you already have hanging in the room In that same size and framed. Prop them on top of the bookcase and on the mantle.

I would simply take down the curtains and patch the holes. You’re not sleeping in there. Put huge-leaved tropical plants in planters on the other side of the fireplace near the patio doors.

Get 3 or 4 rugs and arrange them any way you like over the carpet, in boho fashion. Use the carpets to create zones for furniture arrangements you like for entertaining, jamming and reading.

Get more floor lamps and comfortable seating.

luminel thanked ital mover
  • ital mover

Pipe bookcase

Industrial Lake Home · More Info

Making the most of light, with bar widows and light walls, plus comfy sofa

18th · More Info

Layering rugs

Kim Parker Interiors · More Info

W Residence Dining/Living · More Info

ID Creations, Holiday House Hamptons 2014 · More Info

Los Altos Eichler · More Info

luminel thanked ital mover
  • Jinx

Any guitar players? My DH is and has a (small) music room ... he prefers sitting on a swivel stool to play. I surprised him with this Gretsch one for Christmas (our room is a mix of western decor and rock n roll. Guitars and saddles). He takes it out to the patio to play, too. If you play guitar, definitely get a stool(s). His others are hanging on the walls. Art and function. ;)

Carpet is great for a music room, so embrace it. :D

And then a sitting area like Maureen showed would be great for listeners and hanging out.

I do have a Kilim throw rug in ours to break up the beige carpet. I think a big rug in the style you like would be great for your room.

Your room has mid-century vibes ... lots of possibilties for a cool space.

ETA: This is wild — as I was typing, DH was looking up old school turntables. He didn’t know I was posting about a music room. :)

Anyway, do some searches for vintage music rooms and lots of great ideas come up.

luminel thanked Jinx
  • luminel

Thank you for all the great suggestions here! Moreen I love the room above, but how would I fit in a console as I have a fireplace in that spot . It's unfortunate, there is not much space between the edge of fireplace step and the piano.

I also like the idea of the media unit next to fireplace, but wouldn't the wall look too crammed up? I do like the large painting there where I have it, wonder if I could prop it on top of a console or bookcase.

..wonder if I should lighten up the walls?

• luminel

Jinx, I love the swive stool. Yes, there's always a guitar player that joins us:)

• ital mover

You can do very open shelving for a book case so it doesn’t look cramped. My only reason for suggesting using the entire wall space between the left side of the fireplace and the window is that the fireplace just cuts off abruptly on the left, so I was thinking of a more finished look. However, something else you could do is create a narrower vertical book shelf right there at the left side of the fire place — floor to ceiling — which would then visually divide the room to create a different space away from the piano.

Or here is something that could be really fun: Get one or two of these wall sconces and put them on the wall to the left of the fireplace (they come in silver and I think white as well)

VONN VMW12450 Sirius 1 Light 16" Tall LED Wall Sconce - Black · More Info

luminel thanked ital mover
  • ital mover

Sirius 51" Integrated LED Wall Sconce, Silver · More Info

Expression VECF48003BL 24" Ceiling Lighting Fixture, Plug-In or Hardwired · More Info

luminel thanked ital mover
  • partim

I would put the piano to the left of the fireplace. The advice to keep a piano on an inside wall is outdated. It was true once in the olden days, before houses were well insulated, that a cold outside wall would make a piano require more frequent tuning.

Arrange your furniture around the fireplace.

Do you have 2 versions of the same art work?

luminel thanked partim
  • luminel

Hi Partim, thanks for the suggestions! I think I will keep the piano where it is as I literally just had it tuned today. Placing it next to the fireplace makes me a bit uneasy. In the wintertime, that wall gets hit with a lot of sun which can damage the soundboard. Also, do I want it next to my fireplace. It's a very special piano, I'd like to keep around for a little while.. If I keep it where it is now, how do you suggest I decorate around it. What would you place around the fireplace? Someone suggested a bookcase or console. I'm not sure if a mirror would work on top of the fireplace. A round or rectangular one. thank you again

• partim

I am not a fan of mirrors unless they reflect an attractive view. You seem to have quite a bit of art that would probably work better. Is your sofa part of a larger piece? I would start by thinking about how much seating you need in the room and get that arranged. I am not a fan of bookcases or consoles to fill a space. I prefer furniture and wall art but YMMV.

luminel thanked partim
  • luminel

Yes, I have 2 versions of the same artwork but I'm thinking it might be too much placing them next to each other. But I could be wrong.

LilDesignWorks

It is a well layed out room, with great views on both sides and the piano will be its soul!

Turn the chaise parallel to the window and use the 2 matching art pieces as a pair

Next to the head of the chaise place a small table that can hold books and also be used to set down items when coming in. Keep the lamp where it is. Behind the chaise in front of the window can have a plant shelf if you have a green thumb

Opposite the chaise place 2 swivel chairs with a coffee table or ottoman between them. If desired the seating area can be marked by a rug layered on top of the carpet. But not absolutely necessary. You can also inject color with some nice stackable floor pillows. I saw you liked the guitarist swivel stool someone suggested, it can be placed next to the piano.

I like the idea of art resting against the brick of the fireplace. On the mantel place some smaller pieces of art, a few candlesticks as well as maybe a plant/vase. You need a round object there as well. It can be a floral wreath, a mirror, or any other decorative element with significance to you.

If you dont plan to use the fireplace and consider covering it, a white shelf placed on the hearth can do the trick, smaller or larger

LilDesignWorks

Swivel chair options. They can be turned towards the piano when someone is playing or facing the courtyard view, otherwise facing the chaise for conversation

LilDesignWorks

Storage ottoman or coffee table

luminel thanked LilDesignWorks
    LilDesignWorks

Floral wreath options

luminel thanked LilDesignWorks
    LilDesignWorks

These floor cushions come in many colors

LilDesignWorks

Another suggestion I can make to make the room feel fresh is to replace the drapes with simple solid color panels, room darkening should be fine, perhaps even sheers if privacy isnt and issue

luminel thanked LilDesignWorks
  • ital mover

Would probably be a good idea if you described what your style is. You mentioned in your first post you had one. There is a world of difference between putting a artificial floral wreath over the mantle and an LED light sculpture.

If your style is at all ultra-go-your-own-way, not only do I think it can be amazing to have 2 versions of the same artwork, depending on what the artwork is and what the space is, getting a digital copy of the work to create yet a 3rd version can work too.

But just in general you might describe what kind of room you wished you had — one without a fireplace, or with an old fashioned one, a room with lots of color or a minimalist space. Do you want a music room or an entertainment space with a piano?

Toute La Musique Tous Les Instruments Print · More Info

"Hannelore Ziegler" Framed Canvas Giclee, 16"x24" · More Info

Sihlporte Grand Cafe - Paper Poster 12" x 18" · More Info

Concert Hall Trio - Paper Poster 12" x 18" · More Info

"The Flamenco" Poster Print by Georges Barbier · More Info

Or jazz?

Page One Jazz LED Wall Sconce · More Info

"Aspen Winter Jazz" by Vintage Apple Collection, Canvas Art · More Info

Hot and Cool Jazz, 2004 Wrapped Canvas Art Print, 16"x12"x1.5" · More Info

Sylvie Chill Out Saturday Framed Canvas by Rachel Lee, Natural 18x24 · More Info

luminel thanked ital mover
  • everdebz

Option to create shelving on left, with shelves depth as the mantel.

Whatever inches is not brick at our right, build the shelves to same amount at left.

Here are panels too.

West Vancouver Residence · More Info

• everdebz

Are expensive places with your type curtains - this room maybe. If researched to find a smooth surface to cover the brick, I think it'd be good.

Homerama Greystone Manor - SE Michigan · More Info

luminel thanked everdebz
  • ital mover

For a rental you need to find out what changes the landlord will permit, and if that is a working fireplace that you intend to use, you must be careful about whatever you do to it doesn’t create a fire hazard!

Maybe answering these questions will give you advice you can jump on getting accomplished without it turning into a guessing game as to what direction you are already planning to go.

How would describe your decision-making thus far?

I am unwilling/willing to take down the curtains

I am unwilling/willing to layer rugs over the carpet

I want to hide the fireplace/I want to work with it and around it

I definitely plan to paint/I’d rather not paint/i’d be willing to paint

luminel thanked ital mover
  • Maureen

Basics to consider: smaller scaled chairs, simple mantle, rug over carpet, lots of art, a floor lamp and most of all skip fussy. Be creative and look for inspiration pictures to help.

luminel thanked Maureen
  • freedomplace1

The drapes are beautiful. Love your art and chaise.

I think you have it right, actually - for the way you would like to use the space; unless you move piano to chaise wall. and put chaise where piano is currently. You could maybe do a sectional on corner wall where chaise is currently, but it could be a bit cumbersome there, and would block the drapes.

So I think I'd just keep it simple, and layer a rug + have folding chairs on hand for entertaining.

https://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/rugs/rugs-usa-flourishing-medallion/Multi/200KKDL01A-8010.html

https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Simple-Living-Bonus-Folding-Chairs-Set-of-4/30103665/product.html?option=53773978

As another option, four chairs with center cocktail table or ottoman.

Swivel chairs might work well. You would have to measure well to see how viable this setup might be and if it might work for you.

luminel thanked freedomplace1
  • Jinx

I just saw this thread, and wanted to share for possible inspiration — the room era and layout reminded me a bit of yours:

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6115354/before-and-after-living-room-update#n=2

luminel thanked Jinx
  • luminel

Thank you for all the wonderful

suggestions here but I have to admit I feel more confused now than I was at the beginning of my post:)). I’m Confused on where to place a sofa/ chaise and chairs, basically the layout.

I do plan on getting some new furniture and replace the chaise( that one is part of large U sectional). Not sure what color, though. I do like where I have the sectional now, everyone in the house loves this nook for reading, the sun hits it nicely in the wintertime.

• luminel

Ital Mover, thank you for taking the time to post all the fabulous art prints. I love them! You asked what my interior design style is and I would say it’s Modern Mid-century, transitional ( I actually had to take one of those design quizzes). I’m drawn to bright and eclectic spaces. I like classic and comfortable spaces. I can also tell you what I don’t like.: very dark antique looking decor; stiff, proper, pompous looking decor and minimalist/ sterile looking decor.

Id like to keep the fireplace I have now, though I’m not a fan I don’t want to remodel as we rent here. The room would be for entertaining, playing music, board games and reading. I’d like to have a small space to keep my music books and some reading books.

I like some pops of color but generally I like more neutral muted tones,

but color might be fun too, I might be missing out, who knows.

• luminel

1. My desire making right now is poor

2. I am willing to take down and replace curtains

3. I am willing to layer carpets over rug

4. I want to work with the fireplace:)

5 I’m willing to paint the room a different color

• everdebz

For much later, a photo-idea for the landlord - flipped so the left has the design.

Las Lomas Remodel · More Info

• ital mover

If you like contemporary furnishings and are willing to experiment with layering rugs over the wall-to-wall carpeting that you don’t like, I’m sure you can make that space all that you want for enjoyment.

For decision progress, start with ideal furniture layout, since you’ve already decided where you want the piano and you know you want to have friends there. After you’ve decided where you want seating for people, you can turn to thinking about where you want to put rugs.

How much seating do you need in the room all the time, without bringing in seating from other rooms?

Do you want that permanent seating to be all independent chairs for guests or do you want to put a sofa somewhere in the room?

Do you plan to use the fireplace often?

luminel thanked ital mover
  • Bette P

Take a pic of a simple sketch with measurements of each wall section. Wondering how much wall room is behind the drapes beside the window?

Not a pro, but if it was my room I'd consider this.

Sofa table or shelf under the window gives the option of one or two table lamps. Add a sofa with slim/straight arms, no skirting, neutral colour, can be deep seated & cushy if you want. For your books, maybe a shallow clean lined vertical shelf unit left of the fp, painted the same color as the walls or walnut or teak shelves to tie in with the fireplace color. Large wide art piece over the fireplace to distract the eye. Two swivel or small footprint chairs across from the sofa, oval leggy coffee table. Flexible stool as suggested above for guitar player etc. Woven blind on window with linen like side panel drapery that don't have to close, same fabric drapery panels on the patio door that will close if you need them to.

All depends on your measurements.

Slim armed sofa, oval leggy table, curvy chairs, bold art in pic below. Note the wall shelf in pic 1.

Living Room · More Info

Chicago · More Info

• luminel

hi Bette, hope This floor plan helps.

• Theresa Janssen

Thought I would try a rough layout as to me it seems we need to figure that out first... recognize this is not to scale and don't know size of chaise you have... I'm wondering if the piano could be placed to the left of the fireplace so the seating grouping could go in front of fireplace... heres the idea. Chaise would float in room so there would be walkway behind it to the patio

luminel thanked Theresa Janssen
  • ital mover

you mentioned that everbody in your household likes to sit where the current chaise is, so how about swapping out the chaise for a sofa with an attached chaise? (Not these exactly, just for size....)

Brayden Dark Gray Fabric Sectional Sofa Chaise Ottoman and 2 Pillows · More Info

GDF Studio 2-Piece Sophia Fabric Sectional Sofa, Muted Dark Gray · More Info

Harvey Reversible Sectional Sofa Chaise in Dark Gray Linen Fabric · More Info

Any thoughts about whether you are going to live with the drapes or take them down? If you are leaving them up, what is the design on them and the color?

luminel thanked ital mover
  • freedomplace1

As another option, and as I mention in my previous comment, an L shaped sectional in the corner area where chaise is now. If you don't care about keeping the drapes, you could just put up blinds or shades, and then the drapes won't be blocked by sectional.

luminel thanked freedomplace1
  • luminel

Hi Ital! I didn't even consider a sectional in that corner, but I like the idea. I'm ok with changing the drapes in the room. The current drapes remind me of a motel room. They are a peach cream color with some light green and grey pattern. The current carpet is a very light cream color as well.

• luminel

Theresa, thanks for taking the time to draw the diagram. Unfortunately the piano needs to stay on the wall it's on. In the winter the wall to the left of the fireplace gets a lot of sun and I don't want the soundboard ruined.

• luminel

Freedomplace 1, I like that light grey sectional!

• ital mover

I also like the grey sectional. I think that kind of sofa would probably work even better than one with a chaise visually because it defines the space better with respect to zoning it as separate from the fireplace. And it works better for creating a conversation area too.

i suspected the drapes were as you describe. If you remove them Is it necessary to have a window treatment for privacy or temperature control in that window?

luminel thanked ital mover
  • partim

Instead of a chaise attached to the sofa, consider adding an ottoman. You have the same ability to put your feet up, but have the flexibility to move it to either side, either here or if you use the sofa in another room. It is also more versatile and it might be the guitar player's chair when you have guests over.

luminel thanked partim