Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

What are you reading? May 2021 Edition

Annie Deighnaugh
2 years ago

What are you reading?

As always, it helps to bold the titles, rate the books 1-5 stars, and let us know if you think it would be good for a book group.

----------

Just finished The Rock Orchard by Paula Wall. It's a short but funny and fun book and I recommend it...4+ stars. I can see where someone would have a good time making a movie of it.

I've also started Atomic Habits about how making small doable changes can compound into big results over time.

Comments (108)

• jewelisfabulous
    2 years ago

Update: I finished Project Hail Mary a couple days ago and I'm still smiling like a loon! It was SO GOOD! This novel is one of those that you just don't want to end. Exciting plot, well written protagonist, great science (but not in an overwhelming way), a heart stopping middle, and a kick-ass ending. Just loved it so, so much.

• eld6161
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Still Life with Bread Crumbs- Anna Quindlen

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    2 years ago

@olychick, the main reason for the no Oprah books was that every time we tried one, a majority of our club didn’t finish the book. We decided that we wanted to enjoy the book, not feel suicidal. The characters always seemed to be oppressed, abused, depressed, or generally unlikable. I also had the great displeasure of meeting her with her buddy Maya at an event once, and they were extremely rude and unpleasant so I’m generally not a fan.

• Olychick
    2 years ago

Thanks for replying! There are definitely some books like that on her list.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I finished Grit: Passion, Perseverance, and the Science of Success for my other book club. It was ok...some interesting thoughts on what it takes to get things done despite setbacks, and some interesting thoughts about how to raise your kids to be more gritty. I'd give it 3 stars.

• Bestyears
    2 years ago

I just finished listening to Anxious People by Fredrik Backman and I loved it. I went into it with some trepidation after reading very mixed reviews here (I think). I wonder how much listening to it added to my experience. This is a very dialogue heavy book with half a dozen characters speaking consistently throughout. The reader was fantastic in distinguishing the voices -I found it hard to be believe it was just one reader in fact. I was left with a lot to think about and I miss the people I came to know while listening.

• Alisande
    2 years ago

I finished Before We Were Yours, by Lisa Wingate. From the dust jacket: "Based on one of America's most notorious real-life scandals--in which Georgia Tann, director of a Memphis-based adoption organization, kidnapped and sold poor children to wealthy families all over the county . . . " The Tennessee Children's Home Society operated from 1929 to 1950, and it was a big operation as Georgia Tann had scouts galore and police, politicians, and other officials in her pocket.

The book goes back and forth between five siblings who were stolen from their Mississippi River shantyboat, and a modern-day descendant of one of them. The modern chapters are a respite from reading the children's sad tale--and I admit I speed-read some of their heartbreaking trials because it was painful. But knowing their story was based on fact added to its fascination, and when I was in the middle of the book I ordered its non-fiction sequel, Before and After: The Incredible Real-Life Stories of Orphans Who Survived the Tennessee Children's Home Society. I'm loving these stories of adoptees who grew up and found their siblings.

BTW, Queen of the Owls, recommended by Bestyears above, is on sale in Kindle format for 99¢ right now. Not sure if the sale will continue beyond today.

• Olychick
    2 years ago

Alisande, Lisa Wingate wrote another GREAT book called The Book of Lost Friends. It is also about family separation, but based on the experience (fictional, but historic) of slaves who were separated from their families and their search for them after the Emancipation Proclamation. Despite the difficult subject, it's a wonderful read.

With a recurring theme of families being separated, I have to believe she is either adopted or a birth mom.

• Alisande
    2 years ago

Olychick, as it happens I ordered a used copy of The Book of Lost Friends a couple of days ago. As if I needed to add to my stack(s) of books waiting to be read! Thanks for validating my purchase. :-)

• stacey_mb
    2 years ago

Jewelisfabulous - did you find that the science in Project Hail Mary was very technical and difficult to understand? I had read The Martian, loved it and also enjoyed the movie. I thought that the coding language in this first book was a bit dense and most went over my head! This wasn't a problem, though, since I got the gist of the story and found it very rewarding. Edited to highlight title.

• salonva
    2 years ago

I loved Before We Were Yours ( but not so much The Book of Lost Friends).

I just finished The Third Daughter by Talia Carner. I started out kind of meh but it really took off and grabbed me. Historical fiction and so far reaching and well researched. It had me googling away and just in awe. I am torn between rating it 4 or 5 stars but it was a very good read.

I am going to try Tiny Habits which was recommended in a previous one of these threads.

• dedtired
    2 years ago

Finished Ask Again, Yes and I didn’t dislike it. I thought the ending gave food for thought. I just thought it was too long in some parts. I might have thrown I the towel if it weren’t a book club book but in the end I was glad I stuck with it. Book club is this Thursday so we’ll see what the consensus will be.

• whistle_b
    2 years ago

I just finished Rock Orchard and wanted to say thanks for the recommendation! I laughed out loud many times! Just what I needed after reading The Paris Library for my book club. It was ok but I'm tired of WWII books. I'm looking forward to our discussion next week.

• Bunny
    2 years ago

I just finished East of Eden. I'm still too astonished to speak. More later.

• Coco
    2 years ago

I read that such a long time ago. It's been made into a movie and mini series. I saw the mini series with Jane Seymour.

• PattiG(rose)
    2 years ago

I really liked Before We Were Yours too. I need to order the sequel. I had to do a little research online about the Tennessee Children's Home after I read the book. Fascinating and sad.

• nutsaboutplants
    2 years ago

East of Eden. Bunny, I know the feeling.

• cran
    2 years ago

Because of recommendations here I suggested A Town Like Alice, to my book club. Everyone enjoyed it and was very interested in the author, N. Shute history as well. One of our members is 86 and named Alice, we could write a book .....A Friend Like Alice !

• Bestyears
    2 years ago

I'm about to start The Push by Ashley Audrain, after listening to a podcast with the author. It's that rare debut novel that immediately grabbed not only an agent's attention but received multi-million dollar offers. That alone doesn't intrigue me, as I often don't love best sellers, but in this case the theme is the darker side of motherhood, which intrigues me. Has anyone else read it?

Updated to say: Wow, The Push is dark, but very compelling!

• ci_lantro
    2 years ago

I've finished Another Man's Moccasins by Craig Johnson (4th book in the Longmire series). 4.0. I liked it quite a lot more than the 3rd book (Kindness Goes Unpunished). Book 5, The Dark Horse, is on order.

Also finished Steinbeck's Sweet Thursday a couple of days ago. I liked Tortilla Flat and Cannery Row better. 3.25 for Sweet Thursday.

Currently reading The Narrative of Cabeza de Vaca. From Amazon: The dramatic narrative tells the story of some of the first Europeans and the first-known African to encounter the North American wilderness and its Native inhabitants. It is a fascinating tale of survival against the highest odds, and it highlights Native Americans and their interactions with the newcomers in a manner seldom seen in writings of the period.

• dedtired
    2 years ago

Just got back from book club where a) we met in person and celebrated with champagne and b) discussed Ask Again, Yes. The book got very good reviews from everyone and generated a good discussion, especially talking about who our favorite characters were and why. The topics of loyalty and forgiveness were discussed.

Next up is Sooley by John Grisham. For once it is not a legal thriller. The topic is basketball and a particular player. Will report back once I’ve read it.

• Kathsgrdn
    2 years ago

Started Nomadland by Jessica Bruder the other night. So far it's interesting but sad. I finally finished Roadwork by Stephen King. It was okay, I'd give it a 3.0. None of the characters were likeable and I found it hard to care about what happened to them so it took forever for me to get through it.

I also finished The Secret Wisdom of the Earth the other day. Good book, 4.5.

• salonva
    2 years ago

ok just to update, my book club met on Tuesday for Ask Again, Yes and the majority really liked it. I had asked how the person who suggested it found it and she said that it was on those lists of books for bookclubs. I guess it does make for good discussion but I just don't see it.

• chessey35
    2 years ago

I'm reading Ann Cleeves latest "Vera" book - The Darkest Evening -I enjoy these books and also the TV series.

• runninginplace
    2 years ago

I had stumbled across a rave review, the book sounded intriguing and I could immediately download the Kindle library version so the other night I started The Last Thing He Told Me and promptly fell so deeply into reading that I inhaled half of it in one session-staying up way too late-then finished it the next day. Wow!

The plot could have been formulaic in the extreme: artsy heroine (this time she's a woodturner in Sausalito living on a houseboat, sigh) marries a great guy who is a techie genius with a teenage daughter. One day he simply disappears leaving the daughter in her care and a two-word note 'Protect her'. But the writer's voice was so strong and she managed to craft a very touching story while keeping me turning those pages to find out what was going to happen. Highly recommend this one.

• lily316
    2 years ago

Four Winds by Kristin Hannah.

• Olychick
    2 years ago

Lily, what did you think of Four Winds? I have it checked out from the library, but the reviews I've read here are not positive for the most part, so I'm unsure if I want to read it or not.

• salonva
    2 years ago

My third book club had Four Winds for the latest meeting. It was just too new and in demand for me to get it in time from the library but out of about 12 people there, 10 gave it 5 stars and the remaining 2 gave it 4 stars. Everyone did agree that it was very depressing and sad.

It does sound like it's worth reading so I will wait for my turn.

Someone else mentioned a book that looks really interesting on a related note, Mary Coin,

which is based on the woman in the photo, Somehow this captured my attention so I will read it at some point.

• Bestyears
    2 years ago
    • I finished Push, by Ashley Audrain. Loved the brisk writing style, and found the plot riveting and unique. Somehow I missed all the hype about this book (Good Morning America pick, etc.) but I heard about it recently on a book podcast. I've been listening to a few different book podcasts recently and am now feeling terrible anxiety because I don't have enough time to read all the great books I'm discovering. I've just started Landslide, by Susan Conley, a 2021 book, which I also heard about on a book podcast, and was surprised to find the ebook available at my library, so grabbed it. I'm only a few chapters in, but already loving the writing style and am finding the characters and plot compelling. Is anyone else listening to book podcasts?
  • chisue
    2 years ago

Just finished Anxious People, Fredrik Backman. It was slow going until I visualized it as a play. It's a farce! It would make a good high school production, with limited sets, and it requires a large cast.

I made myself finish The Darkest Evening. I hope we're now done with the Vera character, much as I liked her up to now.

• 4kids4us
    2 years ago

@Bestyears I would probably have anxiety too if I listened to book podcasts as I can barely keep up with all my other sources for good books! I laugh at myself sometimes at the amount of time I peruse those sources looking for new books when that could be time spent reading from the stack I already have. As it is, I actually started listening to audiobooks several years ago which helps me get through some of my pile more quickly. But I’m choosy about what books I will listen to vs read. Some books I prefer to enjoy visually vs. audibly.

• lily316
    2 years ago

Olychick...The reviews I've read were good, and it was at the top of the NYTimes best seller for weeks. I am only a few chapters in and so far am liking it. I've read her books before but this is a whole different genre.

• Rusty
    2 years ago

I haven't posted here in a very long time, but have been reading this thread regularly. And I just want to say that I enjoyed Kristin Hannah's "Four Winds" very much!

Rusty

• Olychick
    2 years ago

Thanks, everyone; I'll give Four Winds a try!

I'm reading "My Name is Lucy Barton" for my book club. I wasn't sure if I was going to like it in the beginning. It's odd, but then just like Olive Kitteridge, turns out to be an enjoyable odd. I'd love to know the author's (Elizabeth Strout) history, as her books (well, the two I've read and now this one) features a very odd woman. I wonder if she's writing about her mother?

What put me off in the beginning was that the sentence structure is also odd...I felt like it was poorly edited - the punctuation made me stumble. But then I realized it's deliberate; part of setting the stage for the oddness of the story and one of the characters.

• Bestyears
    2 years ago

4kids, I listen to books too -when I'm in the car and when I walk the dog mostly. But I've been known to pop in some headphones and listen to a bedtime story when insomnia rears its ugly head too. I'm addicted to these damn book podcasts, and growing more anxious every day, LOL! It's just nirvana to me to listen to people talk about books, LOL.

• stacey_mb
    2 years ago

I took the plunge and purchased the audio version of Project Hail Mary from Audible.com. I haven't listened to a lot of it yet, but I'm really enjoying it. The narrator is excellent which makes a big difference in listening quality. I recently returned another book to Audible that I loved in print form but the narrator was obviously reading the book. In Project Hail Mary, the narration is immediate, as if he is experiencing an event and is telling you about it. Also, the science so far is explained in an easily understood way.

• Bunny
    2 years ago

I can't adequately express how much I loved East of Eden, one of the best books I've ever read. I just had no idea what it was about or how much it would resonate with me. In all my years I'd never read Steinbeck (even though I faked my way through a Grapes of Wrath book report in high school, never actually read it). I can't do the book justice, but I'll just say the writing is for the ages, and I deeply loved the characters of Samuel Hamilton and Lee, the housekeeper, the moral compass of the saga. I've read the bible cover to cover a number times and especially love the Book of Genesis. I think I'm pretty much on board with Lee's story about timshel: "thou mayest."

5 gold stars.

For those who've read it, remember the Model T that Adam bought? I can't remember the year. Anyway, today my daughter and I were on a lovely forest walk and we passed a home with two special cars in the garage: a 1930 Model A, and a 1914 Model T which was pretty close to the year of Adam's. We greeted the fellow who lived there and I asked if I could see the car and take a photo of it. He was happy to oblige. Check out the brass up front!

• eld6161
    2 years ago

Bunny, I read all of Steinbeck’s book. He was a favorite of mine years ago.

Right now I’m reading The Dollhouse by Fiona Dave. it’s keeping my interest.

• Oakley
    2 years ago

Bunny, I just ordered East of Eden and they're sold out, but will send my book when they come in. I remember the movie so the book will be a hundred times better.

I did read The Grapes of Wrath. I think you'll like it now that you're older. As an Okie, the book did give us a bad stereotype. lol The ending in the book is nothing like the movie.

• Bunny
    2 years ago

Oakley, I read East of Eden on my iPad, downloaded as an ebook from my local library. I hated to part with it, so ordered a hard copy to have on my shelf. I hope you like it as much as I did. I did gasp when I realized Steinbeck himself was in the story and Olive Hamilton was his real mother.

• salonva
    2 years ago

I have never read East of Eden, or seen the movie. I have heard several people rave about it, and now with your recommendation, Bunny. I am definitely going to be reading it soon.

I am pretty sure I read The Grapes of Wrath, and maybe another one of Steinbeck's works , but this was probably in high school so I don't remember much.

Thanks for the comments, every one!

I mentioned Mary Coin up above (related to the Four Winds which I haven't yet read) and found it on kindle from the library so I have just started it. So far, so good.

• Bunny
    2 years ago

Salonva, I read an article online about the 5 best Steinbeck books. East of Eden is #1, but the writer said to work up to it by reading some of the others first. I don't think you need any prep for East of Eden, just a little time, because it's long.

• jewelisfabulous
    2 years ago

Stacey -- it's funny you should mention the scientific prose in Project Hail Mary. I almost abandoned The Martian a few years ago because of it, before the story about Watney's quest to survive grabbed me. So, I guess I was prepared for it in Mary. Interestingly, it didn't bother me this time -- maybe because I had learned to skim those parts or maybe because the author toned it down in comparison to Martian? I certainly didn't understand the science, but didn't find getting through it so onerous in this novel.

• Oakley
    2 years ago

Bunny, I didn't know Steinbeck was in the story! I'm going to read up on it before I begin the book. I watched the 1981 TV version so you can imagine just how much of the story I missed.

The longer a good book the better. My favorite book was almost 1,000 pages long and I was upset. lol

Speaking of classics, have you read Pearl S. Buck's trilogy, House of Earth: The Good Earth, Sons, A House Divided? I was in my early 20s in college, had no TV but we did have those books, so I grudgingly read The Good Earth and was hooked.

• stacey_mb
    2 years ago

Project Hail Mary got an excellent review in our weekend newspaper and the reviewer said that so far it's the best that Weir has written.

• Kathsgrdn
    2 years ago

I really loved reading a bunch of Steinbeck when I was a teenager. I bought a whole set of them. I have no idea where they are now. I probably sold them when I came back to the states on leave in the 80s and had a yard sale before going back to Germany.

• nutsaboutplants
    2 years ago

I read The Good Earth as a teenager. Not the other two in the trilogy. Read all of Steinbeck, including his short stories in my twenties. Have re-read many since then.

• runninginplace
    2 years ago

Since I know this group will appreciate my thrilling literary luck. Project Hail Mary sounds intriguing and I loved The Martian when we read it for book club a few years ago. So based on your recommendations, I just rolled through the 4 options for how I get library books: hard copy and e-versions on both systems I belong to.

And I hit the winning literary lottery ticket! One of the systems had the Kindle version waiting to be snatched up. So I did :). I"m supposed to be giving the house a clean this afternoon but that may have to wait...LOL

• Bestyears
    2 years ago

running - reading always trumps housework!

• Bunny
    2 years ago

Oakley, he only has a very small mention in the book. At the beginning of each section, there's a short first-person narrative. Then it goes into a third-person, neutral voice. At a family gathering one of the little kids is referred to as John, and then it mentions that his mom is Olivia Hamilton Steinbeck. And that's his real mom, and Samuel was his grandfather. I think I gasped when I figured out who John was.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!