Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kuma_dabear

Filling in the grassy area of sidewalk with concrete and rocks

Kuma DaBear
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi, I had my front lawn removed and am replacing it with a desert landscape. what is the best way to keep weeds from growing in a desert landscape? I tried cardboards and covered it with mulch, but the mulch blew and weeds started growing in. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Comments (15)

• nickel_kg
    2 years ago

where are you located -- what big city are you near, so that experts know what to recommend.

• Indecisiveness
    2 years ago

Pictures would be helpful too

• Kuma DaBear
    Original Author
    2 years ago

in Los Angeles suburbia.

• Kuma DaBear
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I had just pulled out most of the weed but they grow back fast, even with no watering and almost no rain.

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

Weed barrier cloth should have been put down under the rock to help. I've found a DIY mix of salt water, Dawn and a bit of cooking oil will usually kill anything but poison ivy.

Kuma DaBear thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Little Bug
    2 years ago

Nothing will permanently prevent weeds unless it’s solid concrete. You’ll have some upkeep no matter what.

“The wind blew the mulch?” You didn’t have nearly enough mulch then. Four inches deep would be a good start. But even then, seeds will blow in on top of the mulch and eventually grow.

Kuma DaBear thanked Little Bug
  • Kuma DaBear
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Little Bug, yes I found out after. so I’m trying to see if there’s better alternative

• Anne Duke
    2 years ago

Pull them out. Pour vinegar on them as they sprout. Definitely not maintenance free in SoCal.

Kuma DaBear thanked Anne Duke
  • Kuma DaBear
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Anne Duke That is what I’ve been doing, and I actually find it semi therapeutic, but it’s killing my back. Just not sustainable for me.

• jewelisfabulous
    2 years ago

Have you tried Preen? After pulling out the weeds, sprinkle it over the entire area. It really helps.

Kuma DaBear thanked jewelisfabulous
  • mojavemaria
    2 years ago

I know a lot of people hate landscape weed barrior cloth but we used it in our yard and it has been very effective. I think in areas with a lot of rain it’s gotten a bad rep but there’s a whole lot less weeds in our yard where it’s installed under the rock landscape.

Kuma DaBear thanked mojavemaria
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2 years ago

I have artificial turf installed over compacted sand and weeds sprout in my fake turf from time to time. IMO the best thing is to have the yard filled with native plants that thrive in desert conditions with rock because the mulch will blow or float away.

Kuma DaBear thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Kuma DaBear
    Original Author
    2 years ago

BeverlyFLADenziner, love your garden! I was going with a sparse, simple dessert look, but really like your idea. Thanks!

• Kuma DaBear
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Probably, slip of the fingers as I might be subconsciously thinking of dessert, but meant desert. Lol

also wondering about the effects of artificial turf on soil life such as earthworms, etc. I am considering artificial turf as well.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2 years ago

Kuma, those pics are not my garden, but that dry creek bed appearance is a style that is applicable to your situation. I don't think anyone wants a front yard just full of small rocks with a couple of plants.