annie_b_

What to do with remaining space when tiling a bathroom vanity?

Annie B.

We have a dilemma tiling a 48” tile against a 49” length wall. That leaves 1/2 left on each side if we want to center it (which we do because we will have a vessel sink & wall mount faucet). I have not found another other tiles that are bigger that I like and I really wanted to use this lagos tile. we also planned to tile the vessel sink slab with the same tile so that it looks continuous with the color all. The problem: tilers say it will be difficult to cut 1/2 and it is too thin, and we risk having the 1/2 tile look crooked or uneven. also if we went with this option, it is way out of our budget.

Additional options:

1) place the 48” tile to the right & just tile 1/2 to the left- but them it wont look centered and im worried it will look bad because we have a vessel sink & wall mount faucet that is centered

2) Place some sort of 1/2“ silver trim or white piece of wood on each side- the problem is i think that will look weird for the slab piece for the vessel sink if we had to do that because it sticks out and is pretty thick. also dont even know what we could use.

Any other ideas? Which one would you pick? we need to decide ASAP and I cant think of any good solutions honestly.

last photo shows the remaining space left on each side

HALLETT & Co.

I would add 1/2" backer board on each side wall- adds an hour to the project but you get the look you want

• Annie B.

Could you send a photo of what it would look like?

Any ideas for the back wall space behind the vanity in Master Bathroom?

Search through the photos on here for Carrera marble and you'll find several great examples of how well the two look together.

how do I mix a marble vanity in the bathroom with ceramic tiles?

American Tile sells a product called Classic that has 3 colors within the line. Very good marble mimic porcelain tile. http://www.americantileandstone.com/prodcat.aspx?Id=3&page=19763 They don't have the best website so when you open this link, under the tile picture it says "color line", click this link to see all the colors. Color Statuarietto would most likely work best as it mimics carrara marble.

What should I do with the space inbetween my wall and bathroom vanity?

Is the bathroom used by one or two people? Is there enough storage for personal items (drawers) and bathroom supplies (towels, toilet tissue and cleaners) in the new cabinet? The extra 12" is enough for a trash receptacle. The long wall can have towel bars or towel hooks. I would want a hook for my towel just outside the shower door opening (so I wouldn't have to put my towel on the toilet seat). Make sure the shower door will have enough space to open wide without bumping the toilet.

bathroom vanity color with black and white bathroom

@sscione to answer your question, I have not installed anything yet. we will be very soon. This is what i picked. Marble look tile is a 12x24 for walls. Floor is the medium matte hexagon and the smaller hexagon is for the floor of the shower. the wood sample is the vanity. I picked a white quartz top. I chose to go with matte black fixtures and will be adding gold accents for lighting and cabinet hardware.
  • pricklypearcactus

If you have 1" extra space, will you be putting the tile on the left and right wall such that you need that 1" for the depth of tile and mortar? If not, I would modify the walls to make the space 48". You could fir out or you could even add plywood behind the drywall. That would give you a nice means of anchoring any towel rings/bars.

• lindalana 5b Chicago

2 half tiles, one half and one half plus on each side. Or put decorative strip in the middle.

• Beth Allen

Schlater tile

• Annie B.

@HALLETT & Co. the side walls (left and right) will just be painted Snowbound White. I plan to only tile the entire back wall where the mirror with sit as well as the slab (same tile)

• Annie B.

@HALLETT & Co. @pricklypearcactus the problem is what about the slab? i dont know if it will look good adding 1/2 trim or what not on the slab. If I extend the wall I still have the problem with the slab

• chiflipper

@Annie B. Trimming the slab to reduce the width won't cost much - it's the easiest solution.

LilDesignWorks

Option 1:Add another layer of drywall on one side. It will reduce your width by 1/2". Or option 2: tile the side walls as well.

HALLETT & Co.

Exactly what lildesignworks said- Add drywall to both sides of the alcove so that tile fits perfectly. Drywall cost almost nothing, this will give you the clean look that you desire.

Another layer of drywall will make the space perfect for the slab

• Annie B.

Thank you guys!! I may try the drywall option and see if I can somehow merge it with the slab to make it look more seamless (the slab is made of cement board)

• tartanmeup

"(the slab is made of cement board)"

Which slab is made of cement board? A slab in this forum usually refers to a stone used for a counter. What I'm seeing in your picture is a vanity counter made of what looks like cement board.

Your question relates to the 48" tile you want to use as a backsplash AND counter for this 49" vanity, correct? In which case, you need to narrow the vanity width by a half inch on each side. The suggestion of adding drywall to each side seems like the easiest and least costly option. And tile against wall needs a finish or trim, no?

• Annie B.

Sorry I meant the slab for the vessel sink that we created (reference in the picture, the one with the oval vessel sink). We had the carpenter build that and we were planning to tile that piece along with the back wall to make it look continuous. The slab is sturdy enough to sit on so that it can be tiled.

@hallet & @patricia if we do drywall on each side, we are still trying to figure out how to merge/make it look seamless on the exterior (right side of the drywall), The outside of the drywall will be rough, not the drywall side. We have to combine it with the back wall and ideally the cement board (slab) so that it just looks like part of the wall but not sure how to do that.

HALLETT & Co.

Annie we understand that the ledge (counter) is to be covered in the same tile yes? And the back wall only? And the side walls are drywall? If so what everyone is telling you is to add drywall to the two sidewalls so that the alcove is now 1” narrower. It will mean re doing the corner bead by the shower

• Annie B.

@HALLETT & Co. yes that makes sense. I think what I was trying to say is the yes we will tile the counter as well, but the edge of the counter will also have a 1/2" of space on both sides as well. We can flush the extra 1/2" drywall to the counter on both sides, but we are trying to figure out what to do with the outside part of the counter. For the rough drywall we are thinking we could do corner bead on each side like you mentioned.

oh wait i think i need to clarify. I was thinking you guys were saying to add 1/2 drywall just up to the counter, but do you mean add drywall to the entire wall on both sides (past the drywall? There may be a problem because of the trim, etc. There is a door on the left side of the wall. We would also have to do the entire wall up to the ceiling and that would be a lot (the left wall extends pretty far out to the back)

• tartanmeup

Here's a crude attempt at identifying the parts of your vanity installation. It might clarify suggestions. Yes, I believe the suggestion was to add another drywall layer to A - side walls. Your question is how to fill or finish the tile joints? And your 48" tile is going on B, C and D?

• Annie B.

Yes that is correct! I think the confusion is I thought you guys were recommending to do drywall only up to 21" in depth where the counter stops (not the entire wall). If that were the case, it would be flushed with the counter, and I'd still have to figure out what to do with the the 1/2 of the front face of the counter on both sides as well, and wasn't sure if there was a way I could transition and mud it with the edge of the drywall.

Now if I add drywall for the entire walls on both sides, then we have a potential problem with the left wall. We have a door there and not sure how it would work with the door trim--and also the left wall of the vanity extends pretty far back (past the door) so that means we'd have to drywall the entire wall, which would be a lot and also around the door/door trim which might look weird?

Here is

an outline (looking from above (the top)

LilDesignWorks

Put two drywall sheets on the right side.

• Annie B.

@LilDesignWorks that would be a great idea if our wall mount faucet was not already centered =D We actually had to move the faucet twice and it cost a fortune..so ideally don't want to have to do that again since we are really tight on money at this point =D

Unless we can figure out at way aesthetically to make the vanity look good with the sink & faucet looking uncentered. Honestly if I didn't have the light switch on the left that might have worked because I could build some sort of shelf that extends out to compensate

• tartanmeup

Annie B.Original Author11 minutes agolast modified: 3 minutes ago@LilDesignWorks that would be a great idea if our wall mount faucet was not already centered =D

@Annie B., I'm confused. What does the faucet have to do with the side walls? And who's installing all this? I'm not a pro but I know that drywall can be cut to fit and doors trimmed. The backsplash tile is cut to accommodate the faucet once the walls are installed.

ETA: No clue why your avatar picture blew up my comment. I tried a copy and paste of your reply to LilDesignWorks' suggestion.

HALLETT & Co.

Pull off the door trim, install drywall on both walls, add a 1/2” jamb extension to the door jamb, and reinstall. Yes it’s a pain. It adds two days to the project. This is why modern design costs more than traditional design even though it’s ‘simpler’. Every little detail has to be perfect. Do it now so you can love the outcome. Any trims you will regret

LilDesignWorks

Agree with @HALLETT & Co. . But if you dont want to do that I believe doing 2 layers on the right side is ok. A human eye will not necessarily perceive a 1" variance over a 48" distance especially since its a nook where you dont have perspective. You know its there but you will forget very soon because once all is done you wont be able to tell...🤗🤗

• Annie B.

Thanks guys! I appreciate all the input this has been driving us crazy and we are on a time-sensitive limeline. Ill discuss it and see which would be the best option!

• dmac1108

Annie - you HAVE to post a photo of your completed vanity backsplash/countertop! I’ve been trying to decide what I wanted to do in my upcoming powder room renovation - and your dilemma just helped me figure it out! The alcove space for my vanity is a little over 42” wide. I’ve been thinking (dreaming) about a marble slab - but with all the other renovations, I decided to do something more sensible (budget wise). I hadn’t even thought about using some 48”x24” tiles! Thanks for the idea - really would love to see how your bathroom turned out!

• Annie B.

@dmac1108 Thats great!! still renovating but ill post whT we have so far tomorrow! We ended up cutting it 1 inch of each side and doing 2” on each side. tilers couldn’t do 1 inch on each side =/

• dmac1108

@Annie B. - I’m sure that it looks great. Glad that you figured out something that worked I’m excited to see the photos!

Question - is your tile from F&D? A few weeks ago, another user posted a question about her master bathroom - and she was using a pretty blue 48”x24” tile from F&D.

I’ve never been inside a F&D store - I’m worried that I’ll want to buy everything. I LOVE tile!

• Annie B.

@dmac1108 yes it is from floor amd decor! it is called lagos blue. its really beautiful in person. i forgot to take a photo today but heres a blurry version (no mirror yet)

• dmac1108

@Annie B. - even though the photo is a bit blurry - I can still tell that it looks AWESOME! Can’t wait to see the entire bathroom once it’s finished! Where did you purchase your sink? Looks like it goes perfectly with the tile!

I thought the tile looked similar to the one that was posted a few weeks ago! It was a pretty blue tile - obviously, its the same one!

Guess I’m going to have to make a trip over to F&D to see all the tiles they have in person!

• Annie B.

@dmacThanks! ill post more when its officially done. The sink is from wayfair-concrete sink! i got lucky that they happen to pair well together .

• Annie B.

@dmac1108 here are some better photos!

• dmac1108

WOW! It really looks great!

What brand faucet is that?

• Annie B.

@dmac1108 got it off amazon!

you can search ” BESTILL single handle wall mount bathroom sink faucet”

• Annie B.

Here is an official photo!

Beth H. :

annie that came out great!

not to be picky, but what's w/the paint or the grout up in the left corner on the tile, and on the right side about 2 oclock?

is the tile chipped on those edges? if so, might be nice to get a piece of trim molding and frame out that back wall to hide those edges.

• Annie B.

Oh its just paint from the painters! it can easily come off the tile, we just haven’t fully clean the bathrooms yet

• S G

Annie B - it looks great. Does it look more blue or gray in person as I had looked at it and really liked it. Also , did you use it in shower as well ?

• Annie B.

@SG

Hm I would say more of a gray with subtle hints of blue. I used F&D white maximo tiles with the remaining bathroom and Im sure that affects the color it exudes too

(Shower in the right)

• S G

Did you tile the rest of the walls also - all the way up ?

• Annie B.

nope we painted the side of the walls (and Ceiling) Snowbound white

• motupeg

Wow! Nicely designed.

• felizlady

I would also put tile on the sides and back wall of the vanity because splash happens. I don’t trust paint, even water-resistant paint.

• Annie B.

@felizlady Yes I agree I really don’t like painted walls since water can splash anywhere (our other bathrooms are all tile)- but aesthetically it would be a bit too much to have it on the sides, we wanted to keep it minimal and elongated (the walls continue to the ceiling), the ceiling would look shorter if we did all tile. plus itwas super expensive to tile the rest of the walls and we are on a budget anyway. plus its just a guest powder room, it will only be used to wash hands for the most part

Sponsored Story
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Pro Spotlight: Give Your Traditional Home a Modern Perspective