GET IDEAS
gregg_horan

Pseudotsuga menziesii 'Aureovarieagata' - experience? info? Z6a CT

Gregg H

I picked one of these up the other day in Z6a Hartford CT. Not finding much info online. There's a placeholder entry at the conifersociety site, but no info beside size and sun numbers.

From what little I find so far, I'm seeking full sun and expecting moderate growth - likely will still be under 10ft in 10 years. Expecting it to be less conical and symmetric than a stereotypical Christmas tree.

So just trying to plan the right spot, or hear any other experiences or advice. I'm a little nervous wondering why no one seems to plant douglas fir in general around here, but I can't find reference to any pest or other problems, so not sure why. I'd like to put it near a 'Skylands' spruce and am thinking 20-25' separation would be reasonable.

edit: Here's the only pic I can find online: pic Mine's not that yellow yet... on second thought, maybe I won't put it by the Skylands.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

you can pretty much see the annual growth on edwins ... just multiply from there ...

someone will come and explain this better .. but there are two types of doug firs ... the left side of the mountains.. and the right side.. lol ... one one is conducive to growing on our side of the country .. and the other isnt ... i must have killed the remainder of that brain cell.. so stick that in your cap ...lol

and keep in mind.. typical xmas trees are sheared into that shape.. so in reality.. there arent many natural grown trees that grow that way ...

its a shame edwin lost his leader ...

may the 4th be with you ..;

ken

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)

Hi Gregg-Where did you get the tree? I'm in the Hartford area and can highly recommend O'Brien's Nursery in Granby as a very reliable source for conifers and information. John O'Brien has a wealth of knowledge and is a great local resource. O'Brien's Nursery

Sue

Gregg H thanked Sue W (CT zone 6a)
  • Gregg H

Wow Sue, that place looks great... Just what I was looking for but didn't know existed around here. He's got a lot of the plants I want listed, although I'm sure some of them have been picked out already.. I'll schedule a visit! I really want a (couple) straight abies concolor and had relegated myself to ordering a baby one this fall online but maybe I'll get lucky and he'll have one left.

I got these last two at broken arrow nursery in Hamden... About an hour south of me - but follow the money for interesting plants in CT! But unfortunately although they did have a very nice selection initially, with everybody being home and playing in the yard, they had been pretty picked over already. They did have a nice Dawn Redwood I had to restrain myself from buying though.

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)

John does not have many landscape sized plants of the more unusual stuff but I believe he's been known to sell plants out his display garden. I did buy a small but not tiny Abies concolor Blue Cloak there last month.

I usually drop a few bucks at Broken Arrow every year. I already took one small load out of there this season and am considering another trip soon. It's an hour from my house (thankfully or I'd be there all the time)

Depending on where you are in the Hartford area, both Stonehedge in Newington and Garden Barn in Vernon bring conifers in from Iseli and usually have a better than average selection.

Sue

• corunum z6 CT

Gregg - I second Sue's opinion of O'Brien Nursery in Granby. So much so, I too am glad that I don't live closer to John and that I'm no younger. He does sell out of his display garden and down back beyond the pond there is a field of trees from where I bought 11 trees (tsuga canadensis was 14' tall) Japanese umbrellas were 10' tall, et al, so he does have more unusual specimens and usually knows where something can be gotten. He's open Fri.Sat.Sun. and on the side of his house, he often has shipments of smaller trees, shrubs, plants, that he has brought in from other nurseries. WELL worth the ride to Granby.

https://obrienhosta.com

This is the field down back. I bought the tsuga John is tagging in this picture, April, 2018. Don't know how much is still in this field, but certainly is worth a look. John is a joy to talk to - nice, nice guy.

Jane

• Gregg H

That's perfect, actually I'd rather buy more small ones and see how they do then just blow my budget on one or two big ones. I think actually candicans is the concolor I want. Blue cloak looks pretty.

I'm actually just a few miles from garden barn... Dangerous! Although sometimes it seems they cater heavily towards the Dr Seuss / poodle type conifers, which are pretty but not really my preference. Or big money ones - they had a bunch of beautiful 8-ft dragon's eye pines they other day for many hundreds of dollars, but no small ones.

Pell family farm in Somers can be good if they happen to what your looking for... Decent prices for nice local grown BandB trees.

• Gregg H

Jane, that is one heck of a tree to bring home! Hope it's doing well. I'll probably take a ride up tomorrow and put off planting all the things I already bought!

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)

Jane, John is replanting the field all the time. I recently bought a small but nicely shaped Stewartia that was growing in the field. I tagged it last fall and picked it up a couple of weeks ago. It takes just under 20 minutes driving on pleasant country roads to get there from my house.

Gregg I agree that most of what GB sells is larger and more expensive than what I prefer to pay but last year I wanted a decent sized Picea abies Hillside Upright to add to an existing border and they were the only place I could find it.

Sue

• plantkiller_il_5

GARDENERS HELPING GARDENERS......I love it

• corunum z6 CT

Gregg and Sue - yes, thanks, the trees are happy. One thing not often mentioned is the age of the gardener. When I was younger, I bought any size bucket and any tree/shrub height that would fit into my Volvo wagon and handled it all myself. When I bought larger mature trees from John in 2018, it was for very specific reasons; building a Spirit Garden because my spouse had passed, the neighbors had installed a very large above ground pool that didn't appeal to my view, and after 45 years here, we had lost many mature trees. When the gardener is mid-70s and the Volvo wagon is gone, it was time for instant gratification. So hauling in 31 yards of soil and with my favorite landscaper chap, 3 large gardens were made. It took 2 trailer loads from John's to get all 14 trees here. It was a once in a lifetime buy. Took a big chance, but it is all good. 😊 I fully agree that younger gardeners should buy smaller as it is best for the tree/shrub and a joy to watch them grow. Enjoy your visit to John's, Gregg - tell him Jane said Hi. 😊 He'll remember the woman who bought the pinus sylvestris aurea, lol.

Jane

• Gregg H

Beautiful place Jane!

• alley_cat_gw

Beautiful is right!

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)

A spirit garden was well executed, Jane. A peaceful spot indeed.