beesneeds

Upcoming shortage for summer: pool chlorine

beesneeds

Just heard this one on the radio news. There is a pool chlorine shortage just in time for summer.

Between a big increase of pools being built last year because of folks staying home, and the biggest supplier in Louisiana seeing a massive fire after Hurricane Laura... pool chemicals are in short supply this summer.

While many pool companies have stocked up, there may still be shortages there before the season is over. And for home buyers, prices are going up fast and stocks depleting.

If you have a pool and buy your own chlorine/chemicals, might be wise to get it early.

A couple articles on this.

USA Today

People

CNN

WashPo, about the fire at the chemical plant

• Lars

For me, the pool maintenance company supplies the chlorine.

I have friends in Tucson that have a pool maintenance company, and so I guess their costs will be going up. I have not talked with them in a while.

• moosemac

I heard about this from my pool company at the end of last season when I booked for repairs to our pool. In February, I purchased enough chlorine for this season and enough to start the 2022 season.

• Raye Smith

Not an issue for salt water pools, they use different chemicals.

• summersrhythm_z6a

3" chlorine tablets are sold out in most of stores here. We were lucky enough to find two 25 lbs at $113 each last night.

• Jen K

@Lars- I'd give them a call because even the pool companies are starting to see challenges finding tablets.

My in-laws lives in the Caribbean. I sent them an email; they said they'd double the bucket and that should get them through the year. I don't know where they order their chlorine from as the island is a British Territory.

Mystic Pools, LLC

In my industry, we were made aware of a possible shortage last fall.

Only a couple of my clients use chlorine tabs. All others use salt water generators.

But, I can predict the rush to buy SWG's will increase and the salt itself may be become scarce.

• OutsidePlaying

It’s been fairly well publicized around here, but then there are many people with pools plus the usual neighborhood pools. There was a manufacturing plant in Louisiana that either burned or was affected by one of the storms (I forget) and isn’t able to get back into production until 2022. Those of you who stocked up early are lucky. We don’t have a pool and our lake condo pool is saline.

• krystalmoon2009

yes already dealt with this issue this year getting our supply of 1" tablets and now on the hunt for shock

• Lars

You probably won't have to do much hunting for sticker-shock, unfortunately.

This has been on local news since Tuesday, since around 50% of the houses here have pools. Palm Springs had the highest per capita pools in the country in the 1960s, but it has been surpassed by several other cities in Arizona and Florida by now.

• hallngarden

Two years ago we had enough in stock for two years. Didn’t have enough for this summer. Paid 89 for 30 pound bucket of sticks then, paid 191 yesterday. Two dealers were out , last dealer had one bucket left .

• summersrhythm_z6a

Oh no. I am going to get two more 25 lbs buckets, so we have enough for next year.

Update: The pool store I went to yesterday sold out 25 lbs and 50 lbs buckets within 24 hrs, only has some 13 lbs left. The other pool store location has a limit now, 1 customer per bucket (25 lbs bucket). They are almost out too. Hopefully everything will be back to normal next reason!

• Jen K

I feel bad for communities with a pool and residents who've been going without for the past year while paying HOA or maintenance fees to support the pool they couldn't use. They might be out again. Where we're renting a home, the pool looks inviting, all the chairs are our, they repainted the clubhouse and it might never open. The neighborhood we're building in doesn't have a pool (originally it was meant as a 55+ community but not sure why no pool even then?)

I'm from AZ but didn't grow up with a pool. I had one friend with a pool and it's a hard summer for a kid looking at a pool you can't use.

• summersrhythm_z6a

Jen, Hopefully your community pool service has prepared for this shortage, the pool will open for you guys this season.